2012 favorites

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
sekhmet
Avid Diver

Re: 2012 favorites

Post by sekhmet »

My inital disclaimer- I do not work for Olympus... however I LOVE my Oly PEN PL-3 camera and they are pretty affordable- you can just get by with one strobe or a hand held focus light if you need. IF you looked, you could probably get set up for under 1K with the camera, housing, and maybe a good strobe. They have a bigger sensor than most DSLR's too as far as light! I now have two strobes (sea and sea ys-01, a macro lens, and a light and motion Sola 400 and I am really having fun now. I'd like to get a 7mm fisheye eventually as they make the port for it. I feel like I can compete with the "traditional " DSLRs (I'm no David Doubillet or anything like that though) but my shutter speed is still a tad slower.
Still a challenge to shoot manual in our backscattery waters and sometimes shoot all weekend and get three pictures...! This was a fun thread! Thanks LCF, and I'd love to put together some photo dives sometime???? Maybe we could have somebody come and talk about how they shoot and their equipment? a little informal critique after some dives? I did a class like this a few years ago and it was enormously helpful.
"Fish Worship: Is It Wrong?"
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Grateful Diver wrote:This is a great thread ... seeing all these wonderful pictures just makes me smile ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I couldn't agree more. It's been a hard diving year for me, for a lot of reasons. This thread is inspirational. Thanks to all who posted so far.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Although I shot many pictures diving and sailing, my favorite this year was taken from my back yard.
Sunset1.13.12.jpg
I maintain that happiness results from recognizing the simple pleasures in life.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

There are certainly some mighty fine photogs around here... :)

It's hard to pick out only a few favorites, but here are the ones I like best. Not the greatest underwater photos ever made, but they were fun places and things to see, and they bring back reminders of that "OH COOOOOOOOOL!" feeling every time I see 'em.

Jim
Attachments
Hale O'Honu off S shore of Kauai - sea turtles are the coolest things I've ever seen...
Hale O'Honu off S shore of Kauai - sea turtles are the coolest things I've ever seen...
This guy (off Kauai) was just amazingly graceful and the coolest thing I have seen anywhere, anytime...
This guy (off Kauai) was just amazingly graceful and the coolest thing I have seen anywhere, anytime...
Hard to pick just one from above the water, but I liked this scene...  Next year's Xmas card perhaps.
Hard to pick just one from above the water, but I liked this scene... Next year's Xmas card perhaps.
An Aleutian Moon Snail at Redondo
An Aleutian Moon Snail at Redondo
Saw four species of Morays diving off Kauai, this is the best pic of 'em...
Saw four species of Morays diving off Kauai, this is the best pic of 'em...
My first juvenile wolf eel, at Redondo, in a lovely picturesque setting :)
My first juvenile wolf eel, at Redondo, in a lovely picturesque setting :)
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

What a great idea for a post!!! Well, here's some of mine too... I don't have a fancy rig, it's an older Canon P90 in an Ikelite housing with an old Sea & Sea YS27 strobe cobbled together with zip ties and baling wire but it does the job... Photos are scattered around on my hard drive and located more by accident than any sort of logic but I managed to choose a few...
BTW Great Shots Everyone!!!
Baby Wolfie
Baby Wolfie
And his? bigger Cousin...
And his? bigger Cousin...
Here's a little octo...
Here's a little octo...
Little Stubby Squid @ T-dock
Little Stubby Squid @ T-dock
Another shot of a Stubby...
Another shot of a Stubby...
Not camera shy...
Not camera shy...
Little Hermit crab...
Little Hermit crab...
Fav topside pic... Swim area cleanup at Deer lake on Whidbey with my Buddies...
Fav topside pic... Swim area cleanup at Deer lake on Whidbey with my Buddies...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Alexitt, thanks for reviving the thread, and hopefully a few more folks will contribute. This is a really fun one to look at.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames