E-PL1 Users Group

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: E-PL1 Users Group

Post by fmerkel »

I'll look into some classes, maybe can get something started in the Club for sharing info.

That indeed is a nice Vermillion shot. As you say, pretty much impossible with the Casio. Do you think the Macro makes a big diff or would just using the zoom work for that kind of shot? I haven't gotten the zoom ring yet so am stuck with how I set it before the dive.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Thanks!

I do like the macro conversion lens. For the last several dives, I've been leaving it on for probably 90-95% of the shots and just backing up a little farther for the bigger stuff. I'm not sure if I could've gotten this shot without it. That's a good question--I will try it next time.

For my first two dives with the camera, I did not have the zoom ring yet. First one, I did the whole dive at 14 mm. Second one, I did the whole dive at 42mm. While I couldn't do everything I wanted to do with the lens stuck in one position, it did give me a feel for things.
Jenn
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

enchantmentdivi wrote:Thanks!

I do like the macro conversion lens. For the last several dives, I've been leaving it on for probably 90-95% of the shots and just backing up a little farther for the bigger stuff. I'm not sure if I could've gotten this shot without it. That's a good question--I will try it next time.

For my first two dives with the camera, I did not have the zoom ring yet. First one, I did the whole dive at 14 mm. Second one, I did the whole dive at 42mm. While I couldn't do everything I wanted to do with the lens stuck in one position, it did give me a feel for things.
Which macro conversion lens do you have? I am assuming you mean the one that goes on like an exterior lens cover?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Tom Nic wrote:Which macro conversion lens do you have? I am assuming you mean the one that goes on like an exterior lens cover?
Lens: http://www.adorama.com/IOMPTMC01.html

Adapter: http://www.adorama.com/IOMPMLAEP01.html
Jenn
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

There is a 13 hour class on a flash drive called, "Lightroom for the Underwater Photographer". It's pretty spendy at 108.00 though.....
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

enchantmentdivi wrote:From Sund Rock this past weekend. So glad I bought this camera/housing! Peter, thanks again for the head's up on the "outrageous deal"!

I know that Canon photographers are not welcome in this thread :) , but I have to break the rules to give props to this photo. Well done, that is a very cool shot. Shooting upward gives it a very dramatic affect. Bravo!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I have a Sony.........
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

cardiver wrote:I have a Sony.........
I feel better :)
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

That's an extraordinary shot of the vermilion!

I can testify that, although the Lightroom tutorial DVD is expensive, it is worth it. I've only gotten through about a quarter of the lesson, but they're really well organized and useful, and if you keep LR open while you go through them, and pause the program so you can go practice with some of your photos, you really nail the lessons down.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

While wading through Google searches looking for the info I posted on PSE-8 and ORF files I ran across this site. At first glance it looks quite good, at least from my paltry understanding of PSE.
Could someone with some Lightroom experience take a look at that material?
http://www.photokaboom.com/menus_laptop ... m_menu.htm
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Scubie Doo wrote:I know that Canon photographers are not welcome in this thread :) , but I have to break the rules to give props to this photo. Well done, that is a very cool shot. Shooting upward gives it a very dramatic affect. Bravo!
Thank you for the compliment!!! And, shhhhh, don't tell anyone, but I shoot with a Canon topside...
Jenn
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

a. I shoot Canon topside too (unless I only have the Pen).

b. Deal is back on at Adorama -- pass the word.

c. The housing is now only $299 -- might be cheaper than having it serviced.

http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/defau ... info=e-pl1
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Anyone using TTL with the PEN? Right now I'm shooting manual with an optically fired strobe. A good percentage of my pix are exposure losses.....even if they are composition duds anyway. I was in Optical Oceans picking up the zoom ring and talked with Jack about the Sea & Sea YS-01 TTL Strobe vs Sea & Sea YS-02 Strobe. He didn't push either one. He was clear about TTL not providing you the control that manual does. I'm wondering if it may be an 'aide to simplification' for awhile until I get past the increased complexity of shooting this kind of rig?

Re-the zoom ring: It just sorta forces over the lens pretty snugly? It also ends up blocking the little lens closing button it would seem? It did work in the housing (dry land test).
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

fmerkel wrote:Anyone using TTL with the PEN? Right now I'm shooting manual with an optically fired strobe. A good percentage of my pix are exposure losses.....even if they are composition duds anyway. I was in Optical Oceans picking up the zoom ring and talked with Jack about the Sea & Sea YS-01 TTL Strobe vs Sea & Sea YS-02 Strobe. He didn't push either one. He was clear about TTL not providing you the control that manual does. I'm wondering if it may be an 'aide to simplification' for awhile until I get past the increased complexity of shooting this kind of rig?

Re-the zoom ring: It just sorta forces over the lens pretty snugly? It also ends up blocking the little lens closing button it would seem? It did work in the housing (dry land test).
The YS-01 produces very accurate TTL with the Pen series cameras.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Yes, I've been using TTL with the Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe. So far, so good--in fact, much easier than using the same strobe with the Casio (not in TTL).
Jenn
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I think Peter does almost all his shooting on TTL.

The zoom ring, if you look at it, has a small slot that fits over a protrusion on the lens focus ring (if I remember right). It makes it go on much more easily.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I know both the camera AND the strobe have to be capable of doing that. Until recently (literally a couple days ago) I was under the impression TTL needed a hotshoe kind of contact and a direct electrical connection. I just learned that some can now perform optical-TTL like the Sea & Sea YS-01.

I'll take a look at the zoom ring instructions again. I wasn't in the best light or situation when I tried it out.
Last edited by fmerkel on Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

I'm using the Inon D2000 which is optical and use the "sTTL" (simulated TTL) setting. I've tried using manual and I just don't see enough difference to make it worth my while -- lazy person that I am.
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

BTW, I just picked up the "Pen E-PL1 for Dummies" book that I ordered through Amazon (about $18 total). I've just started to peruse it but having used the E-PL1 for a couple of years now, I'm pretty familiar. OTOH, if it is new to you, might be worth getting -- and yes, I think it was worth the $18 just for some information on some of the more hidden menus.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

For you Olympus guy and gals, I thought this article might be of intrest.
http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/olymp ... r-settings
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hoo Boy.... This is going to take some work.

Ran out the E-PL1 last night with the older Olympus UFL 1 strobe...

I felt like a blind truffle hunting pig that had lost its sense of smell...

Thoughts and m a y b e a pic or two later. I will post my settings, my experience, and some results in hope of some constructive feedback. I can see I need to get a dive in with one of you current E-PL1 users and do some brain picking.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Tom Nic wrote:I felt like a blind truffle hunting pig that had lost its sense of smell...
As another former Casio user, I get that, for sure. Trust me--after about the 3rd time out with it, you will never look back.
Jenn
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

enchantmentdivi wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:I felt like a blind truffle hunting pig that had lost its sense of smell...
As another former Casio user, I get that, for sure. Trust me--after about the 3rd time out with it, you will never look back.
I will agree with Jenn...you'll never look back. This camera is awesome. When I used it the first time with Bob, I kept exclaiming, "I'm going to love this camera!"

I might have to check out the book Peter recommends as the menus are incredible.

Kirsten
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Finally got one of these guys! ISO 200, f11, 1/60 at 38mm with the macro conversion lens

Jenn