Newbie on the steep slope..

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
RVbldr
Aquaphile

Newbie on the steep slope..

Post by RVbldr »

Now I've done it...just received a Sony RX100 with housing/strobe on order (due in tomorrow). I'm fairly at ease with a topside Nikon D5100, but trying to get my fat fingers used to the new camera and housing is going to be an interesting and steep learning curve to adapt to the water! After doing some shots around the house, I'm looking to spend some time in the pool taking some shots of toys on the bottom before venturing out to the wilds...going to be interesting!
Alexitt
Submariner

Re: Newbie on the steep slope..

Post by Alexitt »

It's a lot easier than you think... Make most of your pre-sets out of the water then you can keep it simple under the water... Practice practice practice then post your winners!!! Good Luck and Have FUN!!! Oh, make sure you have a tether so you don't lose the new toy...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

RVbldr
Aquaphile

Re: Newbie on the steep slope..

Post by RVbldr »

I returned from Turks and Caicos where I had a chance to try out the new RX100/ Ike housing/ YS-D1. Since I'm very new to underwater photography, the goal was to just get used to using the camera in a housing with strobe and try some post processing with Lightroom. The photos here on Skydrive were all shot as .jpg, so next time out, I really need to shoot in RAW! These aren't great, but I think a good first effort. I got to spend a long time on the big aluminum human mailing tubes and passed the time reading thought Martin Edge's Underwater Photographer..unfortunately, on the return trip!

http://sdrv.ms/11oXroI

Most photos were taken along Grace Bay and then off the West point with Beaches (family vacation).