Deception Pass Video

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
NollyG
Just Settling In

Deception Pass Video

Post by NollyG »

Well...I finally have another video finished up. This one is from a Deception Pass dive trip my dad and I were on way back in May. I went out the weekend before the trip to get some above water shots when the current was flowing. That day had around a 6 knot flood. Not the biggest exchange of the year for Deception, by far, but it was still quite a show! Eddy's, rips, and boils as the water rushed through. Sounded like a raging river!

By the next weekend the currents were such that we had a perfect dive! A little current gently pushed us in, slacked, and gently pushed us right back to our boat pick up point. The viz was about as good as I've seen in the pass, at an easy 20 ft. The wall on Pass Island were Lu Jac's put's you in is absolutely caked in marine invertebrate life. You can't see rock for most of the dive! My favorite area though, is at about 50 ft., maybe 5-10 mins. drift from the drop off point. Here, feather duster tube worms dominate the scene. The worm's tubes are also covered in sponges, aggregating anemones, and other life.

As far as the video goes, I had originally planned to do two trips into the pass to collect dive video, but one was cancelled due to weather. The above water shots were also originally going to only be a small part of the video. Just some scenes of rushing water to establish a feel for why there is so much life in the pass. But, since I only had one dive worth of video, and lots to work with in the above water shots, I modified my plan to showing the beauty, both above and below.

Enjoy!

phpBB [video]

NollyG
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Deception Pass Video

Post by LCF »

What a great video! I hope you don't mind that I have shared it.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Great video Nolan! The combination of topside and underwater scenery is spectacular.
Novice
Dive-aholic

Post by Novice »

Sweet shots Nolan. Did you use a tripod for the topside shots or do you just have really good balance?!
dtodd
Avid Diver

Post by dtodd »

Another beautiful video Nolan. Nice work.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Well done Nolan. It is a nice place indeed :)
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
NollyG
Just Settling In

Post by NollyG »

Novice wrote:Sweet shots Nolan. Did you use a tripod for the topside shots or do you just have really good balance?!
Thanks for the compliments! To answer your question, I absolutely use a tripod. I'm in no way stable enough to get those kind of shots without one. Tripods have actually become some of my most important video equipment.

By the way, did you see that you made an appearance at the end of the video? I'm thinking that at some point (now would be a good a time) you're going to have the change your NWDC name from Novice to Experienced! I've dove with you in Deception Pass, throughout the San Juan's, on the Saskatchewan, Cape Breton, and in Dodd Narrows. I definitely don't think of you as a novice diver! :)

NollyG
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

BillZ wrote:Great video Nolan! The combination of topside and underwater scenery is spectacular.
Yes.
LCF wrote:What a great video! I hope you don't mind that I have shared it.
And yes. I will post a link on my Facebook page with your name - just too good to not share.

If that is a problem please let me know and I will take it down.

Just a fabulous video.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Once again I am reminded of the beauty of our waters. I just returned from two weeks in Bonaire, and the color in our best sites dwarfs anything I've seen in the Caribbean.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
NollyG
Just Settling In

Post by NollyG »

Tom Nic wrote:
BillZ wrote:Great video Nolan! The combination of topside and underwater scenery is spectacular.
Yes.
LCF wrote:What a great video! I hope you don't mind that I have shared it.
And yes. I will post a link on my Facebook page with your name - just too good to not share.

If that is a problem please let me know and I will take it down.

Just a fabulous video.
Thanks Tom Nic! Please feel free to share my videos! I make them to be seen, hopefully by a lot of people (or even just a few :) ), both divers and anyone curious about the underwater world.

NollyG
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Very, very, very nice video, I enjoyed the way the credits at the end kept going under water.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Great job! My family camps a lot at Deception Pass and they enjoyed this too!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

Love it!

:clap:

-Mark
MikeMeagher
Dive-aholic

Post by MikeMeagher »

Sweet. Very good. I like. We'll discuss privately some things to change next time... but you have a good "eye" and style.
I likes
Mike'
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Really nice vid Nolan. You've got a great eye
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Great video, a real eye-opener. I had no idea the pass looked like that under water... And the current looked intense! Some spots churned like a washing machine. What's a typical dive profile like?