Moved from Whidbey Island Critters - in footsteps of Jan K

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Moved from Whidbey Island Critters - in footsteps of Jan K

Post by Marek Sk »

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS CREATED AS A FOLLOW UP TO "Whidbey Island Critters" ALLOWING JAN A MORE DEDICATED SPACE TO HIS ART THERE AND TO ALLOW OUR INSPIRATION, TESTIMONIES, PICTURES TO BE FOLLOWED HERE.
Several of my original older postings were moved by the Administrator therefore they may sound a bit out of synch or out of context below (updated 5/12/14).

When most of us capture lets say a good picture of a sea cucumber, we are satisfied when it is clear and sharp.
Jan Kocian has this unique ability to capture those unique moments of life like spawning stars and cucumbers or egg release, lingcod caching: midshipman, starry flounder, cabezon or octopus. Studying change of the color of maturing eggs and hatching young.
Jan does not keep those treasures to himself but shares it with all of us in his postings.
Thank you Jan for showing us and telling us these incredible and unique stories of life !
Diving with Jan feels like me a student observing master Leonardo da Vinci creating another masterpiece.
For me it has been a privilege.
Here are two pictures to share from my side (I am still learning how to capture better pictures and combat back scatter):
Attachments
Jan and his Friend Jack - true Deception Pass Diving Experts. btw. Jack has been frequently diving the Pass on the weekdays for last 30 years!
Jan and his Friend Jack - true Deception Pass Diving Experts. btw. Jack has been frequently diving the Pass on the weekdays for last 30 years!
Our Master Leonardo DaVinci of underwater art and exploration - Jan Kocian at his underwater workshop
Our Master Leonardo DaVinci of underwater art and exploration - Jan Kocian at his underwater workshop
Last edited by Marek Sk on Mon May 12, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Do "Right Things" rather than "things right".
Conquer your fears & you will be blessed with inner peace & serenity.

I feed "Good Wolf", learn from Eagles, smell Rose Anemones & dance with Sea Stars.
I respect ALL Creatures & Diversity.
Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Re: Whidbey Island Critters

Post by Marek Sk »

I have finally caught up and read ALL 107 pages (2600+ postings) in this “Whidbey Island Critters” Forum.
I have never in my life expressed so many times in a row amazement, astonishment, surprise and excitement with words like: WOW !, GEE !, That is truly AMAZING ! That is UNBELIEVABLE ! How did He captured this !
Reading these post and watching marvelous pictures brings me back to the time I was a kid and was glued into TV watching on one hand Jacques Cousteau underwater explorations and on the other hand Jules Verne Captain Nemo science-fiction world.
The world Jan is bringing us closer is not science-fiction. It is Real and so mysterious and wonderful. Jan is truly a Pioneer willing to share his observations and discoveries with all of us.
I have learned so much from Jan: what to pay attention to, how to dive, where to find critters and even how to take advantage of potentially hopeless situations like really bad visibility solution: going deeper, making close up pictures and diving where topology of the terrain makes it easy to navigate even in bad visibility. Bad visibility on the surface creates opportunity for nocturnal creatures to show up during the day. Like this Red Octopus and baby Red Octopus roaming around:
Red Octo at Mukilteo Lighthouse Park
Red Octo at Mukilteo Lighthouse Park
Baby Red Octo at Mukilteo Lighthouse Park
Baby Red Octo at Mukilteo Lighthouse Park
After reading all these posting I realized that there are hundreds of critters Jan documented that I have not seen yet in the water. All my extra candidates I have seen recently are already documented with outstanding pictures and commentaries by Jan: Umbrella, Butterfly, Heart, Rhinoceros (Golf Ball), Helmet Crabs, Squat Lobster, Stiletto Shrimp.
Jan postings helped me to find Juvenile King Crab at Keystone Jetty. I also used Jan’s knowledge to find my first Orange Sea Pen at Les Davis. When I spotted a Striped Nudibranch I remembered that Jan documented that its favorite food is a Sea Pen so I started looking for it around and yes I found and photographed one.
Striped Nudibranch at Les Davis
Striped Nudibranch at Les Davis
Sea Pen at Les Davis
Sea Pen at Les Davis
From all the dive books about Pacific North West and also all the Critter and fish guides I have learned the most from Jan.
THANK YOU SO MUCH JAN !
I will definitely continue applying this knowledge in finding new critters as Jan has already chartered the map for all of us with what to look for.
This brings me to the point: Is there anything I can add more to this Forum ?
So far I do not recall any new critter apart from River Otter picture I have already added earlier from Keystone Jetty.
I would like to mention or bring attention to immediate Whidbey Island neighborhood (across the water) which is Mukilteo. Most divers are familiar with Mukilteo Community Beach Park (where Geo Dome is) and Oil Dock (a bit of a swim) but many divers are unaware of the Mukilteo State Park known also as a Lighthouse Park.
The clay ledges that are there ranging from 30 ft down to roughly 70ft down (biggest ledges) are supporting a lot of critters like Dungeness, Red Rock, Graceful Kelp, Northern Kelp Crabs. There are several resident young Wolf Eels. Red Octopus. You will find a lot of smaller fish hiding in the clay holes like: Penpoint Gunnels, Puget Sound Rock fish, unidentified or juvenile small Rockfish, variety of Gobies (Black eye & Bay). Lots of Rough Piddock Clams. Sunflower Stars etc.
Clay Ledges at Mukilteo Lighthouse Park. Learning from Jan how to combat back scatter by using wide angle lens and 2 light sources.
Clay Ledges at Mukilteo Lighthouse Park. Learning from Jan how to combat back scatter by using wide angle lens and 2 light sources.
From the most rare critters I found there a colony of Brittle Stars that I call “Mermaid Medallions” as they are fragile and beautiful like jewelry the common name does not serve them justice. I found colors ranging from yellow to brown and to grey. The patterns ranging from spots to stars (within the star body).
One brown and two grey Brittle Stars
One brown and two grey Brittle Stars
Here 2 Brittle Stars, one with more yellow and one with more brown coloration.
Here 2 Brittle Stars, one with more yellow and one with more brown coloration.
One Brittle Star with just one dark spot in the middle.
One Brittle Star with just one dark spot in the middle.
There might be some dispute about distinction between Black Eye Goby and Bay Goby. Most of the Gobies I found in Mukilteo Lighthouse park have outer coloration of the eye falling somewhere in between (neither black nor totally brigh). Here are 2 examples:
Goby 1
Goby 1
Goby 2
Goby 2
THANK YOU JAN FOR LEADING US ON THIS MAGICAL JOURNEY ! :joshsmith: :notworthy:

I feed "Good Wolf", learn from Eagles, smell Rose Anemones & dance with Sea Stars.
Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Post by Marek Sk »

Jan K Posted:

The full credit for noticing this distressed Male Kelp Greenling and arranging the rescue goes to Jan. :notworthy:
We entered the water of Deception Pass Little North Beach at the same time but Jan was going to investigate a small critter found on a previous day picture that was next to a Nudibranch. My goal this time was to explore alone underwater area of Little North Beach and get familiar with the topology so on the next dives I can venture further. Several minutes passed after we entered the water and Jan came to me underwater and signaled: “follow me”, “look for”, “cutting or knife”. OK I thought, Jan must have lost his knife so first I was following him and looking around for a knife. Then Jan showed me a distressed Greenling. OK I thought, Jan probably forgot his knife and that is why he signaled me to help. I did not think much about it and grabbed the line to cut it as close to Greenling mouth as possible.
I had no idea that Jan is going to capture this rescue on camera !
It felt really good to be part of Jan’s Rescue Team and help this poor Greenling which would otherwise be destined for slow painful death from starvation. As Jan said, the line was caught between the rocks and Greenling was only able to swim in relatively small arch (like on a leash).
Next day Jan could not come to dive to the Deception Pass. I came and was glad to see and take photos of several Male Kelp Greenlings and one with almost identical blotch pattern like the one we rescued previous day with Jan.
Male Kelp Greenling with almost identical blotch pattern like the one we rescued previous day.
Male Kelp Greenling with almost identical blotch pattern like the one we rescued previous day.
DIVING DECEPTION PASS: :rawlings:
Jan lead me on the dive about a month ago through the Deception Pass, which I am so grateful for, to the other side of the bridge where you can see Vancouver Feather Dusters. I have learned many very valuable lessons from Jan: observe the water surface as the slack can vary +- 0.5h from the one in forecast, be watchful for back eddy formed at the Little North Beach, if current feels too strong then use the nooks (or even surface in them) and wait for current to slow down, stay close to the wall and monitor your depth as there are unpredictable up welling and down welling. Jan also said that there is nothing below 40ft that you can not see above 40ft. Having extra air is also a good idea. While Jan was using 80CF tank I sucked up 120 CF tank on my first dive in 52 minutes while on my 3rd dive in Deception Pass with 130 CF tank I managed to spend 93 minutes under water (exploring the nooks to the other side of the bridge). Learning from Jan and his Friend Jack (who has been diving Deception Pass for last 30 years) was precious. Jack usually spends about 2 hours in the water using different strategy: first snorkeling in between the current and the back eddy going far up to the overhead power line and swimming back around the slack. You can recognize Jack by his wetsuit and double tank rig. I posted the picture of Jan and his Friend Jack after my first dive on April 8th in this forum.
Little North Beach at east end has a rock which I call "Jan's Rock" where Jan usually enters the water and places his camera while putting his fins on. Jan in the picture.
Little North Beach at east end has a rock which I call "Jan's Rock" where Jan usually enters the water and places his camera while putting his fins on. Jan in the picture.
Last edited by Marek Sk on Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Marek Sk wrote: ...There might be some dispute about distinction between Black Eye Goby and Bay Goby. Most of the Gobies I found in Mukilteo Lighthouse park have outer coloration of the eye falling somewhere in between (neither black nor totally brigh). Here are 2 examples:
The attachment PICT3477-gravid-bay-goby-zoom.JPG is no longer available
The attachment PICT3361-bay-goby-zoom.JPG is no longer available
Hi Marek,
Both of those are Blackeyed Gobies.
Here's a slide from the REEF advanced fish ID class I teach about the differences.
bayvsblackeyed.jpg
Blackeyed Goby:
  • Rough, visible scales. (making a sort of diamond/argyle pattern on its side)
    May be evenly colored or mottled.
    Eye may be jet black, or not.
    Often has yellow tinge to dorsal and tail fins.
    Prominent, distinct, black marking on top of first dorsal fin.
    Light iridescent bluish colored patch right below the eye.
    Very short crest (ridge) on its head between eyes and first dorsal.
Bay Goby:
  • Not nearly as common as the Blackeye Goby, but often mistaken for one.
    Looks more like a shortened Snake Prickleback than a Blackeye Goby
    FINE SCALES not visible to the eye. (used to be called the Finescale Goby)
    Dusky dark patch on the first dorsal. (not jet black and distinctly edged like the Blackeye Goby)
    Distinct, evenly spaced series of dash marks along its body.
    No crest, no yellow tinge, no bluish patch under eye.
Hope this helps a bit!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Re: Moved from Whidbey Island Critters

Post by Marek Sk »

Thank you Janna !
This is very very helpful. I have captured couple of dozens of Goby pictures and the name “Black Eye” is very misleading. The eye coloration varies and does not in many instances differ from Bay Goby. Your explanation about fine scale vs larger scales is the most distinguishable difference I see now.
Even the Andy Lamb Book “Coastal Fishes of Pacific NW” talks about a black edge on the first dorsal fin for both.
I also want to thank you for being very active in helping divers to identify the critters properly in the other postings. Jan was also recognizing and appreciating Yours and Greg Jensen contribution when I was chatting with him. :notworthy:

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

The names of many marine critters are misleading like the red Irish lord which often isn't red at all or the golden nudibranch that isn't gold at all. Janna, Greg, and Jan are all great mentors and teachers. Janna was the cause of my addiction and my introduction to Jan and all three have kept that addiction alive and going strong. Jan's contribution goes far beyond his artistic talents which are many. He has spent thousands of hours researching the critters he shoots and and passing on that knowledge to us in a way that makes it interesting and enjoyable to even the occasionally curious. I am sure he has fired the curiosity of many a new diver and started them on quests to find these critters for themselves. I know that I have gleaned much from his posts and thank him hardily for the many many hours that go into his contributions. Janna too has dedicated herself to teaching us to respect and crave knowledge about the marine environment that we are blessed with here in the NW. :notworthy: For me at least these people have inspired my curiosity and kept my lust for knowledge alive and thriving for over a decade.
Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Re: Whidbey Island Critters - in footsteps of Jan

Post by Marek Sk »

Thank you Dusty !
Today I have learned talking to Paul at Bubbles Below that many many people have learned a lot and got inspired by Janna & Greg and obviously Jan.
We are privileged to have those Experts helping us with Critters identification.
Here below I am adding another testimony with pictures how Jan’s Exploration made it much easier for us to find a critter we are looking for:
EXPLORING POSSESSION POINT COUNTY PARK (the one with the boat launch)
I have been recently following in the footsteps of Jan to find the specific critters at specific locations he described at Whidbey Island.
Jan has been reporting nice healthy Orange Sea Pen field from this park. I recently went there and here is the report:
I have submerged immediately north from the boat launch and did zig zag pattern between 30ft and 60 ft down and for the first about20 min (~150ft to the north ) could only find striped nudibranchs until I found the field between 20ft and 60 ft down extending at least another 150ft to the north.
Jan was previously reporting Striped Nudibranchs & Pink Tritonias ganging up on Orange Sea Pens. :burntchef:
This time I found different teamwork (or competition?). These were Striped Nudibranchs ganging up with Diamond Back Trytonias and even Vermilion Star joined in with Short Spined Pink Star approaching in the other ambush case.:grouphug:
It seems like many Striped Nudibranchs were engaged in the mating :luv: both above the sand and under (right side to right side like Jan described) and some releasing eggs:
Here are the pictures:
Make sure you click on it if you want to enlarge.
Striped Nudibranch and Dimondback Trytonia &quot;running&quot; towards a delicious healthy Orange Sea Pen
Striped Nudibranch and Dimondback Trytonia "running" towards a delicious healthy Orange Sea Pen
Orange Sea Pen
Orange Sea Pen
Orange Sea Pen ambushed by Striped Nudibranch and Dimondback Trytonia
Orange Sea Pen ambushed by Striped Nudibranch and Dimondback Trytonia
Orange Sea Pen ambushed by Striped Nudibranchs, Vermilion Star and Short Spined Pink Star approaching
Orange Sea Pen ambushed by Striped Nudibranchs, Vermilion Star and Short Spined Pink Star approaching
Orange Sea Pen ambushed by Striped Nudibranchs (at the bottom)
Orange Sea Pen ambushed by Striped Nudibranchs (at the bottom)
Striped Nudibranchs mating in the sand (right side to right side as Jan described before)
Striped Nudibranchs mating in the sand (right side to right side as Jan described before)
Striped Nudibranch releasing eggs
Striped Nudibranch releasing eggs
Thank you Jan for your Outstanding reports so we can follow and get a “front row seat view on the action” ! :joshsmith: :notworthy:

Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Re: Moved from Whidbey Island Critters - in footsteps of Jan

Post by Marek Sk »

Possession Point Fingers (known also as Possession Point State Park)

Please note that this Park is to the south of Possession Point County Park I mentioned before when you take a right hand turn before County Park following the S Franklin Rd.
I consider diving with Jan special and privilege. :notworthy: :joshsmith:
There are stories about St Francis communicating with animals.
Can Jan communicate, use a telepathy or some other special bond to "the Beasts of Underwater Kingdom" ?
I do not know. But the facts are that I dove in Jan’s footsteps Possession Point Fingers already 5 times and things are different.
I can still find many solitary Red Irish Lords but they no longer form a “Welcome Committee” :partyman: like on a dive with Jan.

Click on each picture in case you want to zoom in.
Four Red Irish Lords form a “Welcome Committee” just for Jan. According to Scientist these are solitary creatures ?!
Four Red Irish Lords form a “Welcome Committee” just for Jan. According to Scientist these are solitary creatures ?!
Please note that some Red Irish Lords do not have anything Red in their coloration and are the masters of camouflage.
PICT2795-red-irish-lord-more-yellow-zoom.JPG
PICT2783-2-red-irish-lords--more-yellow-broad-base-tunicate-zoom.JPG
PICT2193-RIL-more-brown-zoom.JPG
PICT0525-red-irish-lord-brown-zoom.JPG
On a dive with Jan I also found several Rhinoceros Crabs (also known as Golf Ball Crab) roaming around in different places and wanted to get better pictures for you. Here they are from the dive with Jan.
However I could not find any single one on all my following 5 dives without Jan (cumulatively 5 h 20 min of additional diving) ?!
PICT2725-rhinoceros-crab-zoom.JPG
PICT2780-rhinoceros-crabs-zoom.JPG
Here is the picture of Jan after diving with him Possession Point Fingers. What a day ! :supz:
PICT2942-Jan-zoom.JPG
Another question comes to my mid. Is it something special about Jan taming some of the critters and altering their expected behavior or is it about the place?
With my about a 100 dives in Puget Sound I have never seen a Wolf Eel totally in the open during the day. They always stay in their dens or shy off and retrieve to their dens seeing a diver.
In Possession Point Fingers it has already happen twice that the 2 different Wolf Eels allow me to approach and take multiple photographs basically going around them and up close. They only become more curious and moving their heads around. Posing with left hand profile then right hand profile.
Juvenile / Sub-adult Wolf Eel of undetermined sex. If it could have more brown coloration and less orange and round shape of the head like this then it would have been a Female for sure.
Juvenile / Sub-adult Wolf Eel of undetermined sex. If it could have more brown coloration and less orange and round shape of the head like this then it would have been a Female for sure.
The friend of our friend Jan is our friend. Welcome Marek !
Mature Wolf Eel Male. See more gray coloration and rectangular shape of the head.
Mature Wolf Eel Male. See more gray coloration and rectangular shape of the head.
Another unusual behavior. I have never seen Giant Pacific Octopus roaming around during the day.
I have dozens and dozens of pictures of GPO hiding in their dens from dozens of locations during the day.
As you know I did capture pictures of Red Octopus during the day in Mukilteo Light House Park but never GPO.
My apologies the picture of GPO is not sharp enough. When I was switching between Macro and Super Macro modes during the dive I activated by mistake a face tracking mode and that is why picture is not sharp.
Is it my imagination ? GPO allowed me first to take one picture. If I could have cartoonist talent like Jan I would draw a cloud with Octopus thinking: “O, it is my friend Jan coming, nothing to worry about. I will greet him.” The next picture would get a cloud with “O, No ! This is not Jan but other diver! I’d better run away!”
“O, it is my friend Jan coming, nothing to worry about. I will greet him.”
“O, it is my friend Jan coming, nothing to worry about. I will greet him.”
“O, No ! This is not Jan but other diver! I’d better run away!”
“O, No ! This is not Jan but other diver! I’d better run away!”
Next time I have seen GPO, he or she gave me a red bar look. Which according to Jan means: “ Don't bother me.”
“ Don't bother me.” - red bar look
“ Don't bother me.” - red bar look
This one on the other hand on the same dive did not give me a red band eye look. Maybe because he or she had already red coloration for the whole body and couldn't. :rofl:
PICT4181-GPO.JPG
Last edited by Marek Sk on Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Marek, you give me too much credit.
Wolf eels do not come out for me, I do not feed marine life, and most of my wolfie shots are showing them inside their dens.
Same with octopus. It has more to do with how often you dive than with whispering in the "Silent World" .
I like your enthusiasm about diving, and that my postings helped you along the way.
I hope you will continue to explore our wonderful underwater world and enjoy it as I do.
I am looking forward to see Marek's Critters evolve. Good luck, my friend.
So from now on, less of Jan and more of Marek ! :)
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Post by Marek Sk »

Dear Jan,

You are a Great and Extraordinary Man with Extraordinary life.
Furthermore You are such a Humble Modest Man.

I have in recent years picked up and continued watching on YouTube episodes of “Sea Hunt” (B&W series from 1950s) I missed before with fictional figure “Mike Nelson” acted by Lloyd Bridges.
It becomes clear reading your “Down the memory line” postings that You truly lived the life of a “real” Mike Nelson, moving telecom cables underwater, salvaging lost at Sea ships, yachts and stuff.
:mermaid: :sign10:

I bow down to you not only as a diver but as a sailor.

Man, you sailed a square rigger “Christian Rose” from Americas to Marshal Islands and Hawaii without any engine only on canvas, without any modern navigation equipment, just only on compass and plastic sextant and no auto steering ?!
:pirate: =D> :salute:
This is like moving back to the 19th Century where “The ships were made out of wood but Man were created out of steel”.
This by itself asks Hollywood to make a movie about it. That is also a view of other NWDC Members expressed in your postings of “Down the memory line”.

I can not speak for other NWDC Members. They have already expressed their voices in reply to your postings. However I can and I strongly feel I need to testify what it meant and means to me.
I found your postings at a critical time in my life. Like a light of a lighthouse on a stormy see of life where we are all getting flooded with so much of bad and sad news and all the negativity.

Here is the truth: :rawlings:

1. Thanks to your postings I acquired knowledge about critters and their behavior in 2 months and in such an easy way that otherwise would take me years to get here. Big thanks also to all the Experts that supported you.
2. Thanks to your postings I have learned where and how to look for specific critters.
3. Thanks to You taking me on the dives You opened for me new frontiers that would not be explored by me for a very long time.
4. Everything you said I have been absorbing like a sponge and some of it I shared with NWDC community in the postings (e.g. about Deception Pass).
5. I also have learned by observing you and your camera setup.

Now I am getting more pleased with the outcome of my pictures and can proudly share.
I have made 6 dives in Keystone and have never seen a Juvenile King Crab there until you told me to look at the deeper end of the Keystone Jetty. Also with your postings and pictures I knew what to look for.
Here is my picture and I can proudly testify: “This is because Jan taught me”. :supz:
Please click on the picture to enlarge.
Juvenile King Crab at Keystone Jetty - front
Juvenile King Crab at Keystone Jetty - front
Juvenile King Crab at Keystone Jetty - behind
Juvenile King Crab at Keystone Jetty - behind
Yes, Jan I will be active in more NWDC forums shortly.

Thank you for all you have done for me whether consciously and intentionally or not ! :notworthy:

Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Post by Marek Sk »

DRIFTWOOD PARK AKA TIRE REEF PARK AKA DRIFTWOOD BOTTLE FIELD
Driftwood Island County Park, Whidbey Island, WA,

This is another report following in Jan K footsteps at Whidbey Island dive sites.
This park is just about 1 mile east from Keystone Jetty. You just drive straight towards the shore / park while the main road turns 90 degree right towards Keystone Jetty (this is when you go from South/ Clinton/ Free Land/ Green Bank).
I found several unusual behaviors of animals I have not seen before therefore this park now becomes on TO DIVE more frequently list for me.

NUMBER 1 – Giant Pacific Octopus pretends to be a tire during the day instead of hiding in the den.
In majority of sites I dive I see GPO hiding in the dens during the day but see the picture for yourself.
Click on each picture in case you want to zoom in.
Giant Pacific Octopus pretending to be a tire
NUMBER 2 – Wolf Eel pretends to be a Kelp during the day instead of hiding in the den / tire /toilet.
I found this behavior in couple of places on different days.
Juvenile Wolf Eel -swimming or hovering along or under kelp
Juvenile Wolf Eel -swimming or hovering along or under kelp
Juvenile Wolf Eel -hiding along or under kelp
Juvenile Wolf Eel -hiding along or under kelp
Juvenile Wolf Eel in a tire - more expected behavior
Juvenile Wolf Eel in a tire - more expected behavior
Juvenile Wolf Eel in a toilet - more expected behavior (observed on 2 dives 2 different days)
Juvenile Wolf Eel in a toilet - more expected behavior (observed on 2 dives 2 different days)
NUNBER 3 – Star Wasting Syndrome Sunflower Star being eaten by Hermit Crabs
In all the sites I have always seen stars decomposing but never seen anything eating them. :burntchef:
Star Wasting Syndrome - Sunflower Star consumed by Hermit Crabs
Star Wasting Syndrome - Sunflower Star consumed by Hermit Crabs
Jan K also told me that I might find here one of my favorite crabs – Rhinoceros Crab (known also as Golf Ball Crab) which I have only seen before once diving with Jan in Possession Point Fingers
Here you go:
Rhinoceros Crab (Golf Ball Crab)
Rhinoceros Crab (Golf Ball Crab)
Rhinoceros Crab (Golf Ball Crab)zoom
Another usually skittish critter that I like is Helmet Crab. I have seen before these crabs only in Titlow and Keystone Jetty. Now it seems like they are easier to photograph as they are mating and more focused on themselves allowing better pictures to be taken.
Helmet Crabs mating
Helmet Crabs mating
These Rose Anemones are so beautiful !
Rose Anemone
Rose Anemone
Thank you Jan for opening our eyes to the Hidden Treasures of Whidbey Island !
This Rose Anemone above is for you as to me this is even more beautiful than any rose flower I have ever seen.

:notworthy: :joshsmith:

Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Post by Marek Sk »

Mouth & teeth cleaning by fish for Great Sculpin instead of Lingcod ?!
I was diving Whidbey Island yesterday Driftwood park and later Keystone Pilings & Jetty.
In Driftwood part visibility was really bad for taking pictures 5-10 ft therefore I focused on the close ups.
I got really excited when I noticed Great Sculpin. The fish was not only there but also had its mouth open wide. Would it be another case of fish waiting for its mouth to be cleaned ?

Please click on each picture you want to zoom in. Click second time for the largest zoom.
PICT3032-great-sculpin.JPG
PICT3033-great-sculpin.JPG
PICT3034-great-sculpin.JPG
I photographed the fish and waited for a while. Then I realized that fish is really not moving.
Looking closely you can see abnormal “gill horns” or “large spine on gill cover”sticking out.
Then I remembered old posting of Jan K where he was talking I think about Staghorn Sculpin in similar posture either in its final stage of live or already expired.
Well there are several possibilities:
a) just life expiration due to age, :crybaby:
b) sickness (though I have not seen anything abnormal like e.g. injury), :axe:
c) it locked up his jaw yarning (humans do) :)
d) locked up his jaw waiting for cleaning :spatman:
e) locked up his jaw by being frighten by something :eek:

Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Post by Marek Sk »

Jan K was the one who first observed, documented and published this Mouth & Teeth Cleaning behavior for Lingcod by Longfin Sculpin and Scallyhead Sculpin.
:notworthy: :joshsmith:
Before Jan’s finding Scientific Community believed that this Teath & Mouth Cleaning behavior happens only in the tropics in so called “Cleaning stations” where predator comes to specific location to be cleaned.
You can find Jan’s pictures in Andy Lamb book “Coastal fishes of the Pacific Nortwest” 2010 edition page 208 & 217
:supz:
I run into Jan yesterday at Keystone Jetty when he was waiting for a student coming from Port Townsend to pick muscles for Star Wasting Syndrome study and gave Jan underwater temperature logging thermometers.
:rawlings:
He told me that here in PNW these are not “Cleaning stations” as the behavior of Lingcod open jaw happens in variety places and Lingcod sometimes are successful of attracting smaller sculpins to perform cleaning and sometimes they are not.

I was first so excited yesterday diving Driftwood Park observing Great Sculpin with the wide open jaw to be cleaned ?!
Pictures and conclusion of the story you can find in: “Moved from Whidbey Island Critters - in footsteps of Jan K”

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... 95#p255695

Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Re: Moved from Whidbey Island Critters - in footsteps of Jan K

Post by Marek Sk »

OK, I know, a lot of people are missing Jan Kocian while he is on a road trip with his Friends from Europe.

I decided to go to Whidbey Island and check up on his Underwater Friends from Possession Point Fingers.

Guess what. They are all missing Jan ! I miss him too.
:crybaby:

Here they are:

Buffalo Sculpin, Copper Rockfish,
PICT6325-buffalo-sculpin-copper-rockfish.JPG
Black Eye Goby, Pink Encrusting Sponge
PICT6314-black-eye-goby-pink=encrusting-sponge.JPG
Buffalo Sculpin
PICT6311-buffalo-sculpin.JPG
Rose Anemone
PICT6300-rose-anemone.JPG
Pen Point Gunnel pair
PICT6276-pen-point-gunnels-pair.JPG
Painted Greenling
PICT6248-painted-greenling.JPG
Crescent Gunnel & Rough Piddock Clams
PICT8574-crescent-gunnel.JPG
Pen Point Gunnel pair & Rough Piddock Clam
PICT8554-pen-point-gunnels-pair-rough-piddock-clam.JPG
Red Irish Lord, Red Rock Crab, Mottled Star
PICT8499-RIL-red-rock-crab-mottled-star.JPG
Buffalo Sculpin
PICT8497-buffalo-sculpin.JPG
Red Irish Lord,
PICT8480-RIL.JPG
Two Black Eye Gobies
PICT8475-two-gobys.JPG
Painted Greenling, Black Eye Goby
PICT8473-painted-greenling-goby.JPG
Buffalo Sculpin
PICT8470-buffalo-sculpin.JPG
Crescent Gunnel and Rough Piddock Clams, - one clam squirting sand like a vulcanoe
PICT8571-crescent-gunnel.JPG
Blood Star
PICT8438-blood-star.JPG
Black Rockfish
PICT8430-black-rockfish.JPG
Buffalo Sculpin
PICT8464-buffalo-sculpin.JPG
Short Spined Pink Star - huge one
PICT6355-short-spine-pink-star.JPG
and also Unidentified Interesting Tiny Sculpin
PICT6349-tiny-sculpin.JPG

Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Post by Marek Sk »

OK, There were more Underwater Friends who are missing Jan.

Here is part two:

Click on any picture if you want to enlarge.

Creeping Foot Cucumbers, Barnacles, Brown Rockfish
PICT8339-creeping-foot-cucumbers-yellow-zoanthids-brown-rockfish.JPG
Swimming Anemone, Black Eye Goby
PICT8423-swimming-anemone-goby.JPG
Leather Star
PICT8401-leather-star.JPG
Giant Sea Cucumber
PICT8388-G-cucumber-goby.JPG
Brown Rockfish on its "Pride Rock"
PICT8334-brown-rockfish.JPG
Red Irish Lord
PICT8378-RIL.JPG
Copper & Quillback Rockfish
PICT8357-copper-&quillback-rockfish.JPG
Buffalo Sculpin
PICT8348-buffalo-sculpin.JPG
Copper & Brown Rockfish
PICT8331-copper-&brown-rockfish.JPG
Stripe Perch
PICT8427-stripe-pearch.JPG
Brown Rockfish
PICT8323-brown-rockfish.JPG

Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Post by Marek Sk »

Jan Kocian favorite dive site is a Deception Pass - Little North Beach.
This site however has one of the strongest currents in entire Puget Sound. Even for boaters the rule of the thumb is that you have to have at least engine HP as much as boat length e.g. 20 feet boat at least 20 HP and still plan to cross around slack time.
Site is scuba dived by experienced divers about dozen times a year only on small tidal exchanges, unless you are Jan's Friend Jack (see the beginning of these postings).
However, there is a set of sites near by called Rosario Beach, Rosario Head, Urchin Rocks & Sharpe Cove that can be dived most of the year.
Please note that part of the Deception Pass Park and bathrooms are usually open from April to October. After October I park in front of the park gate and hike with my scuba gear.
Please also know that these sites are notorious to have low visibility. 15 feet - you are lucky, 10 feet - average, 5 feet - frequently

OK so here are more of Jan's underwater Friends:

Please note that Laura James asked me to change my camera setting and reduce some yellow color. Here are the pictures with the new settings:

DIVE AROUND ROSARIO HEAD from Sharpie Cove to Rosario Beach:

Please note that this dive is about 0.6 mile underwater (almost 1 km) and I do it on 120 CF tank.
What you will not find in the books is that this site has to be walked around first to see at each section of Rosario Head as to what direction the Bull Kelp is pointing. My experience with diving it around is different from what is written in the books & on-line sites.
My experience is that on Flood the current hits the Rosario Head and splits. Part going North and part going East (towards Sharpie Cove).
On the Ebb the currents assemble opposite direction.
That means that you always have to swim part with the current and part against the current and you need to have physical fitness not only for the dive itself but also in case of emergency.
Please note that yesterday the currents on early flood around 4 pm were still behaving like on ebb and that is why I always walk around Rosario Head before the dive.

Here is the Google Maps and my yesterday route:
Rosario-Head-google-mod.jpg
The following pictures are organized in sequence therefore you can also consider it a underwater tour:

Please click on any picture you want to enlarge:

First you follow the contour of about 15 ft with bottom covered with kelp & orange sea cucumbers.
On this dive I could find many White Lined Dirona Nudibranchs:
PICT8582-white-lined-dirona-nudibrnach-orange-cucumber.JPG
Do you see 1 or 2 Dironas ? If you click on it you will see that there are actually 2 and mating.
PICT8583-white-lined-dirona-nudibrnach-orange-cucumber.JPG
Going over green kelp it is easy to miss Green Pen Point Gunnels:
PICT8599-green-penpoint-gunnel.JPG
Kelp & Orange Sea Cucumbers:
PICT8603-orange-cucumbers-&kelp.JPG
It is interesting. Urchin Rock actually has few Urchins these days but behind Rosario Head there are many more:
Please note that these are all Red Urchins despite of coloration variety from dark read, purple and almost yellow.
True Purple Urchin species can not be found here and they are of size of Green Urchins. You can see them in Seattle Aquarium.
PICT8620-red-urchins.JPG
Here you can see Red Urchin and Green Urchin next to each other:
PICT8640-red-&green-urchins.JPG
This site have quite a diversity of Cushion Stars, Some people call them Slimy Stars.
PICT8643-cushion-star.JPG
PICT8687-cushion-star.JPG
PICT8695-cushion-star.JPG
Blood Star:
PICT8708-blood-star.JPG
Clown Nudibranch:
PICT8715-clown-nudibranch.JPG
Sea Lemon Nudibranch. From what I understand if the crown is white then it would have been Noble Dorid / Nudibranch but I am still learning about Nudibranchs.
PICT8717-sea-lemon-nudibranch.JPG
White Lined Dirona:
PICT8751-white-lined-dirona-nudibranch.JPG
The most Western part of Rosario Head has a wall which bottom goes beyond 45 feet. This is the deepest part of the dive.
PICT8734-rosario-head-wall.JPG
Here is a new critter to me: Weather Vane Scallop:
PICT6455-weathervane-scallop.JPG
More about Urchins Rock in the next posting:

Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Post by Marek Sk »

URCHINS ROCK:
Currents between Rosario Beach and Urchin Rocks are more predictable and most books and on-line sites get it right.
On ebb current is moving clockwise within Rosario Beach Bay and anti-clockwise on flood.

Here are the Critters Photographed around Urchin Rocks:

Please click on any picture if you want to enlarge.

Rock Scallop. This is a site that has many of these,
PICT6377-rock-scallop.JPG
Clown Nudibranch.
PICT6388-clown-nudibranch.JPG
Red Irish Lord hiding.
PICT6396-RIL-red-cucumbers.JPG
Long Fin Sculpin. This is probably the site I see and photograph these Sculpins the most. Their shape and coloration distinguishes them from any other species.
PICT6408-long-fin-sculpin.JPG
Ribbed Scallop, Red Sea Cucumber, Trumpet Tube Worm
PICT6413-ribbed-scallop-red-cucumber-trumphet-tube-worm.JPG
Orange Sea Cucumber, Chiton, Blood Star
PICT6421-orange-cucumber-chiton-blood-star.JPG
Two Long Fin Sculpins
PICT6426-two-long-fin-sculpins.JPG
Giant Sea Cucumber. Jan was reporting earlier that some Cucumbers were also going through similar disease like Star Wasting Syndrome but I have seen only one Cucumber in such a strange pose and not moving.
PICT6431-affected-cucumber.JPG
Reverse Lamp Clam, Long Fin Sculpin, Giant Sea Cucumber,
PICT6438-reverse-lamp-clam-long-fin-sculpin-G-cucumber.JPG
Interesting Little Sculpin. Most Likely Scallyhead but I am still learning. Painted Anemone in the background.
PICT6444-interesting-little-sculpin-painted-anemone.JPG
Butterfly Crab. These critters can also be found at Keystone together with Umbrella Crabs.
PICT6463-butterfly-crab.JPG
Coonstripe Shrimp also referred as Dock Shrimp. This is the most common shrimp seen by Divers in Puget Sound.
It is fascinating that they start their life always as a male and transition into female later in life.
This is opposite to many fish e.g. in Hawaii where all fish start as a female and if the alpha-male dies the next most senior female transition to become male.
PICT6491-coonstripe-shrimp.JPG
Blood Star, Broadbase Tunicate, Reverse Lamp Clam,
PICT6507-blood-star-broadbase-tunicates-reverse-lamp-clams.JPG
Another Interesting Little Sculpin.
PICT6512-interesting-little-sculpin.JPG
Long Fin Sculpins:
PICT6528-long-fin-sculpin.JPG
PICT6531-long-fin-sculpin.JPG
Another Interesting Little Sculpin.
PICT6536-interesting-little-sculpin.JPG
Scally Lithodid Crab. This is my favorite location for these guys. On every dive I find at least one.
PICT6548-scally-lithodid-crab.JPG
Yellow Tail Rockfish. You can also find these at Keystone and photograph with much better visibility.
PICT6570-yellow-tail-rockfish.JPG
Here I found an interesting Rockfish that seem like cross between China Rockfish and Copper Rockfish.
This is most likely Copper Rockfish variation.
PICT6580-interesting-rockfish-between-copper-&-china.JPG
I have seen also many Kelp Greenlings but all were shy and with low visibility far distance the pictures are too low quality to show.

So this is for now all from Jan's Underwater Friends that are also missing him very much !

Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Post by Marek Sk »

When alignment of the Sun and the Moon is right, and all other factors like, rain, wind, sunshine & temperature combine just right, we get ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE CONDITIONS in Pacific North West.

This is the area Jan Kocian does not go often unless diving from the boat in the area. I guess the Deception Pass is much closer for him and that is his favorite spot - Little North Beach.

Here is the update from yesterday's dive at Skyline Marina Wall:

This place can be treacherous and Comparable to Deception Pass Currents on high and moderate tidal exchanges.
I have read many books and many on-line dive site information. Please read those and consider my update here as a supplement.

While Deception Pass at most has maybe 1h to 1.5h diveable time. This site here allows to dive almost entire day on a day like yesterday.

I dove this site several times on low and moderate tidal exchanges.

I always do at least two dives a day therefore if I go to Deception Pass for one dive I have to go to Keystone or other site for a second dive.

Whidbey-tide-current-combo-stretch+dives_v3.jpg
Please note that water dynamics are totally different between Deception Pass & Skyline Wall.
Deception Pass the current goes straight and forms back eddies on the sides.
Burrows Pass can be better explained as a river with two consecutive opposite bends.

If you ever watch the river you will find that the swiftest current in the river is always at the outer bank in the bend.
This is Newton law of physics at works: "object put in motion will continue to travel the same direction unless it encounters any other forces to change its speed and trajectory". You can also refer to it as Law of Inertia or Velocity.

How does it apply to our dive site ?

On the Flood Current the main current shifts towards Skyline Wall and goes around Washington Park. You have to be really careful not to enter the water too early at the end of the flood. I entered once and had to intensively swim to the rocks and wait on the current to slow down.
If you get sucked in the next exit point is at the Washington Park West Beach concrete stairway to the top. I recommend to anybody hiking the area around so you keep the image in your head what to expect.

Look at this picture from Google Maps you can clearly see that it was taken on the flood. Flood at the shading of the surface.
Burrows-Pass-flood.jpg
On the Ebb Current the main current shifts away from Skyline Wall. Over all my dives I have never experienced any severe current but other divers mention that sometimes back eddy can form therefore always observe the surface and cautiously explore.

Burrows-Pass-ebb.jpg
Above pictures are here to help you understand that I do not attempt diving here when current switches form ebb to flood because there is a risk you will have to walk couple of miles back from West Beach. I know that some divers do but I advise caution.

What Critters did I encounter ?

One of the most Fascinating for Underwater Photographers like me is Crimson Anemone and its several shrimps: Kincade's Shrimp / Eualid, Candy Stripe Shrimp & Shortcase Eualid

I have just posted under Critter Watchers more details:
"Crimson Anemones, Candy Stripe & other 2 Shrimps / Eualids"

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24758

The part is really fascinating that I do not recall anybody mentioning these 2 Shrimps/ Eualids before associated with Crimson Anemone apart for Candy Stripe Shrimp.

Kincaid's Shrimp /Eualid , Shortcase Eualid, Candy Stripe Shrimp hiding behind Crimson Anemone Arm. Look at the top of the picture after enlarging.

PICT8888-kincaid-shrimp-shortscale-eualid.JPG
Black Cucumbers are very specific to this site. I have not seen them in such numbers in any other site. Here is also the Crimson Anemone.
PICT6763-black-cucumbers-crimson-anemone.JPG

Lets start with all the pictures that have FISH in it and its Surrounding Environment:

I encountered many Juvenile Wolf Eels:
PICT6644-wolf-eel-juvenile.JPG
PICT6685-wolf-eel-juvenile.JPG
Red Irish Lords and their Environment:
PICT6695-RIL.JPG
PICT8823-RILhiding-in-cucumbers.JPG
PICT8824-RILhiding-in-cucumbers-zoom.JPG
PICT8847-RIL.JPG
Buffalo Sculpins:
PICT6703-buffalo-scuilpin.JPG
PICT8841-pink-sponge-buffalo-sculpin-G-barnacle-close-up.JPG
PICT8933-reverse-lamp-clams.-buffalo-sculpin-cup-coral.JPG
Kelp Greenlings:
PICT6725-2-kelp-greenling-females.JPG
PICT8786-kelp-greenling-female-rocks.JPG
White Spotted Greenling:
PICT6888-white-spotted-greenling.JPG
Lingcod & Copper Rockfish:
PICT6732-lingcod-copper-rockfish.JPG
Yellow Tail Rockfish:
PICT6818-yellow-tail-rockfish.JPG
Pacific Smelt or Pacific Herring School:
PICT6976-pacific-smelt-or-herring-school.JPG
Part 2 of 3 with the Sea Stars is next:

Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Post by Marek Sk »

Here is part 2 of 3.

This one is focused on the Sea Stars.

I think we can start from singing: "Twinkle twinkle little star how I wonder where you are" ;)

What I find very interesting is that you do not see many six arm / ray stars south of Deception Pass. However if you see my pictures from Rosario Head and Urchin Rocks you have already seen some.
Most of the stars like Mottled, Ochre Purple, Short Spine Pink, Vermilion, Blood, Cushion stars found all over Puget Sound have five unless predation or disease causes multiple shorter arms to regrow. Jan Kocian was also extensively talking about it in "Whidbey Island Critters".

Around Burrows Pass and also further in Washington Park many six arm species can be found here they are:

PICT6843-six-ray-star.JPG
PICT6844-six-ray-star-close-up.JPG
PICT6845-3-six-ray-stars.JPG
PICT8970-2-six-arm-ray-stars.JPG
PICT8989-juvenile-six-ray-stars.JPG
Here we have one five arm Star dancing with Six Ray Star. Five arm star looks like juvenile Velcro Star.
PICT8990-five-&six-ray-stars-dancing.JPG
Here is something unusual Blood Star that has six arms and all seem to be the same length.
Would it be something to do due to living between Six Ray/ Arm Stars ?
PICT6697-six-arm-blood-star.JPG
Blood Stars have a wide distribution around Puget Sound:
PICT8815-blood-star-colors.JPG
PICT8868-blood-star.JPG
PICT8971-blood-star.JPG
Another popular star around this area is Stimpson Sun Star sometimes also referred as Stripe Sun Star:
What I find really unusual in this area are either many Albino or almost albino Stimpson Sun Star:
See the pictures below. I see them also diving Washington Park.
PICT6657-stimpson-sun-star.JPG
PICT6715-stimpson-sun-star.JPG
PICT8988-stimpson-sun-star.JPG
PICT8952-light-blue-stimpson-sun-star.JPG
PICT6740-albino-stimpson-sun-star.JPG
PICT6743-albino-stimpson-sun-star.JPG

Cushion Stars (also frequently called Slime Stars) are also very popular in this area:
First Picture has also so called NorthWest Ugly Clam or Rock Entodesma Clam in the center.
PICT6720-washington-ugly-clam-cusion-star.JPG
PICT8814-yellow-cushion-star.JPG
PICT8830-yellow-cushion-star.JPG
PICT8866-yellow-cushion-star.JPG
Part 3 of 3 will follow:

Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Post by Marek Sk »

Here is part 3 of 3 with all other Critters found here at Skyline Wall:

Please note that on the pictures you can see variety of critters:
Orange Cup Corals - I do not see them anywhere south of Whidbey Island.

Cucumber Coloration is amazing here from White, Orange, Red (some of the creeping foot kind) and also Black Cucumbers that I found some people also referring to Blue Cucumbers.

Black , White & Red Cucumbers close up

PICT6663-black-white-red-cucumbers-close-up.JPG
You can see also here how Green Urchins are coexisting next to Red Urchins.
I mentioned before that you can find Purple Urchin species only in Seattle Aquarium or On the Pacific Coast.
All you see here are color variation of Red Urchin species despite some are actually of purple color.
True Purple Species is of the size of Green Urchins.
PICT6690-green-urchin-red-urchin-close-up.JPG
PICT8957-red-urchin.JPG
PICT8980-red-urchins-color.JPG
You can also find many species of Yellow Encrusting Sponges. They really add to the palette of colors out here.:
PICT6710-yellow-sponge.JPG
PICT8853-yellow-sponge.JPG
PICT8981-yellow-sponge.JPG
Many Spiny and Ribbed Scallop can be found here.
PICT6717-scallop-yellow-sponge.JPG
PICT6673-scallop-orange-cucumber.JPG
On these two pictures you can see the arms of Brittle Star hiding in the yellow sponge:
PICT8860-yellow-sponge-brittle-star-cucumbers-albino-stimpson-sun-star.JPG
Second angle include the albino or near albino Stimpson Sun Star
PICT8865-yellow-sponge-brittle-star-cucumbers-albino-stimpson-sun-star.JPG
Those tunicate looking things are actually Orange Cup Corals.
PICT8927-cup-coral.JPG
Purple & pink sponges do add to the color palette.
PICT8938-pin k-sponges-colors.JPG
Here is another interesting combo with many critters in it from Gum Boot Chiton to tiny Hermit Crab, Cup Coral & Decorator Crab dressed up in either yellow sponges (or yellow tunicates).
PICT6664-gum-boot-chiton-G-barnacle-decorator-crab-mod.jpg
Another Northwest Ugly Clam - Rock Entodesma Clam together with Gum Boot Chiton:
PICT6865-washington-ugly-clam-gum-boot-chiton.JPG
Closer to shore you can find White Lined Dironas:
PICT8764-white-lined-dirona.JPG
Also closer to shore Monterey Sea Lemon.
Both Jan Kocian and H2O Doc - Chris were mentioning that the best way to distinguish Noble Dorid from Monterey Sea Lemon is to look at the crown. If the crown is white most likely it is Noble Dorid and if Yellow most likely it is Sea Lemon.
PICT8767-sea-lemon-nudibranch.JPG
Don't forget the shallows. There are many Pink Tipped Green Aggregating Anemones.
When they close they look like little. Kiwi fruits or little green figs. Like on this picture.
PICT6957-pink-tipped-green-aggregating-anemones.JPG

If you dive on the weekdays you can also run into many humans that are also Jan Kocian Friends. Here is H2O Doc - Chris.
He is also missing Jan.
PICT6875-Chris-H2O-Doctor-best-mod.JPG
OK, If there is nobody around to take your picture the Selfie will do for now:
PICT6926-marek-selfie-best.JPG
All pictures have been taken with SeaLife DC1400, two SeaLife Strobes - Digital Pro flash SL961 with difusers on extended arms. Most Pictures have been taken with Fish Eye Super Wide Angle snap on Lens - SL975. One Dragon 2000 Video Light at full power (first 50 min) and another Dragon 2000 light till the end of the dive mounted on top of the housing with additional Flex-connect cable extension.
All pictures are originals without any adjustments with the exception of Chris'es picture. I increased contrast and decreased brightness as it was a little bit too washed out. I also assembled the picture with gum boot chiton and tiny hermit crab from two pictures to show more details on the left.