Finding a strobe for a Nikon 1 S1

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
VitusVenture
Frequent Bubbler

Finding a strobe for a Nikon 1 S1

Post by VitusVenture »

Hello everyone!

I recently picked up a Nikon 1 S1 with the Nikon WP-N2 housing (got a good deal from B&H, both items for $200!). The housing seems to work nicely with both the stock 11-27.5mm lens, as well as the 18.5mm prime lens. However, I am having some difficulty determining which strobes will work with this setup.

The housing has attachment points for two fiber optic cables. Nikon suggests the YS-D1 strobe, and Sea&Sea indicates that this strobe will work with the housing in SlaveTTL mode. The camera does appear to do preflash, and indicates iTTL functionality is available.

I was hoping to find a less expensive strobe to start out with, as that strobe is several times the cost of the whole camera system I have assembled so far. Looking at the YS-03, it indicates that it operates exclusively in SlaveTTL mode, which leads me to believe that it might work with my camera, but I am unable to find any reliable information about compatibility with the Nikon 1 cameras. I was also looking at the Fantasea NanoFlash system as a way to get started inexpensively, and I think it would work, since it indicates that it will work with any camera with a preflash.

However, I am having a hard time cutting through all the different acronyms and systems for controlling an underwater strobe. I feel like the options listed above would work, but I can't seem to find any evidence online of people actually using these configurations. I would like to have a bit more confidence in something actually working before I start spending money.

Thanks very much for any advise you can provide!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Finding a strobe for a Nikon 1 S1

Post by CaptnJack »

Just take your camera plus housing down and talk to Jack Connick on Westlake. He's a member here but doesn't post much.
https://www.opticaloceansales.com/

I'm sure he'll make sure it all works and the functionality you want you get if its possible.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
VitusVenture
Frequent Bubbler

Post by VitusVenture »

Thanks for the suggestion! I have been emailing with that shop, and was planning on doing that at some point. I was hoping to find some additional information to augment my very limited knowledge :)
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

It's about light....and cost.
The nanoflash works but is limited. It's way better than a 'hand held' light but you'll likely want more soon.
The YS-D1 is expensive and probably not necessary for this level of camera.
I use the YS-01 (just got another but not used yet) and it does TTL but I mostly use manual. I need to talk to Jack more about that issue.
My wife uses the YS-02, specs like the 01 without TTL, now apparently discontinued, too bad.

Don't forget trays, arms, etc. That stuff is way more expensive than you'd think. Cost for a decent light setup will be significantly more than your camera setup.
As Jack says, camera's come and go but a good light setup is something you can keep. My experience shows that to be valid.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

Last edited by Echo on Tue May 12, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Erika
VitusVenture
Frequent Bubbler

Post by VitusVenture »

@echo

Have you had good experiences with that specific strobe? Any thoughts on TTL vs manual, especially for a beginner?
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

I'm not very familiar with YS strobes as I use Ikelites, but I would second the suggestion that you make sure that you get a strobe that is advanced enough that you won't feel the need to replace it if (when) you upgrade your camera. You'll save a bundle if you pay a bit more upfront.

As for TTL, it works great for macro shots when there's an average background fairly close behind the subject, not quite so great if there's a dark or distant background (such as shooting a fish in the water column). I always leave the strobes in ttl, but I'm typically turning down the +\- adjustments on the strobe if shooting against a darker background
Dan Hershman :smt024
VitusVenture
Frequent Bubbler

Post by VitusVenture »

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I made it down to Optical Ocean Sales on Tuesday, and was able to confirm that the Nikon 1 S1 works with the YS-03 strobe! I ended picking up their YS-03 package, which completes a thrifty but functional underwater photography setup. Took it out to Mukilteo and got some pretty reasonable shots even in less than stellar conditions.