What To Do Now? Olympus Housing Died

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Novice
Dive-aholic

What To Do Now? Olympus Housing Died

Post by Novice »

I have been using an Olympus TG-1 and the Olympus House Brand housing for a few years. The housing failed on my last dive, the rotating knob stripped out and now leaks. The camera is fine but Olympus says the housing is discontinued. Is there some special place where old housings hide on the internet? What do you do when this happens? I am super bummed.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: What To Do Now? Olympus Housing Died

Post by fmerkel »

Start prowling CL and eBay for the housing. It might come up. eBay has one for $202 right now, on up to $1100! How do they think they are ever going to get that kind of price?

Think creatively. Can you plug the hole or rig up an alternative? I had a Canon housing that did something similar. The function wasn't crucial so I put a stainless bolt through with an O-ring on each side. Almost all the buttons on any housing are simply a shaft sealed with 1-2 O-rings, a spring, a washer or 2, and a C-clip or similar. They ain't complicated, they are fiddly and fussy.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Novice
Dive-aholic

Post by Novice »

Yeah, the particular knob did not have a c clip or screw so I could not figure out how to get it out. I ended up using marine under the water line epoxy to seal up the knob as is. The only bummer is that the knob was how you switch from regular to macro mode so now I will have to choose one or the other. Oh well, I don't want to sped $200+ on a used housing that might just fail in the same way.
DecidedlyOdd
Aquaphile

Post by DecidedlyOdd »

Try posting a 'want to buy' ad on Scubaboard. Somebody may have an old housing laying around that they're no longer using.