New Photo Site

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

New Photo Site

Post by Scubie Doo »

I setup a new site for my portfolio. I selected my favorite photos and posted them on the site. I'd love to get your feedback on the layout. Thanks.

http://www.jessemillerportfolio.com

Have a nice weekend.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Re: New Photo Site

Post by Jan K »

Impressive! You are a very talented photographer, and not only underwater.
I like the layout and how easy it is to navigate...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

New Photo Site

Post by Scubie Doo »

Jan K wrote:Impressive! You are a very talented photographer, and not only underwater.
Thanks Jan, I appreciate the feedback. I wanted it to be very simple to navigate. I originally put my portfolio in a folder on my main site, but I felt it needed to be isolated so it wasn't distracting to the visitor.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Scubie Doo wrote:
Jan K wrote:Impressive! You are a very talented photographer, and not only underwater.
Thanks Jan, I appreciate the feedback. I wanted it to be very simple to navigate. I originally put my portfolio in a folder on my main site, but I felt it needed to be isolated so it wasn't distracting to the visitor.
Great collection! :supz: Where are your awesome lumpy shots? :)

I like the separate site idea, and it is nice and simple.

One comment, I get a small horizontal scrollbar on ie11, you may want to see if you can fix that.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Eric, thanks I will check that out. I use chrome and safari.

I was thinking of a lumpie shot, but had trouble picking the perfect one. I may swap a warbonnet for a lumpie. I want to keep the total down to 30-40 pics :)
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Do you want people to find your images when they search "warbonnet" etc on search engines? If you do, you may want to at least put "warbonnet" on the page and filename. There are other techniques as well. I've been meaning to research this deeper myself.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Eric, I checked it on my surface and believe I have it fixed. Let me know if it worked and thanks for bringing that to my attention. I will go searching for a lumpie shot :)

One additional question. I have my photos arranged in order of underwater, top side, portraits. Do you think the flow of the slide show is good that way or should I mix them up?
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi Jesse, yup that looks to have fixed it! Looks great!

As for the mixed content, I personally wouldn't mix them up more. I'd probably do underwater only. Depends on what your goals are I guess.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Yeah, I hear you. Not sure what my goals are yet. Hopefully I can define them over the next year or so :) in the meantime, keep shooting.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Jesse, I've always been a fan of your amazing photos - and I like the site too. As one who is always looking for specific fish photos from specific locations, I appreciate the ability to navigate past the main slide show and into the galleries arranged by location. I'm also a Smugmug user, but have found the 'new' templates and organization and settings to be confusing at best. Ugh. Looks like you made it all work nicely for you though!
- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Wonderful photos, Jesse! You keep getting better and better. Really impressive stuff, nice to have it all in one place. Keep at it brotha and let's go diving!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

nwscubamom wrote:Jesse, I've always been a fan of your amazing photos - and I like the site too. As one who is always looking for specific fish photos from specific locations, I appreciate the ability to navigate past the main slide show and into the galleries arranged by location. I'm also a Smugmug user, but have found the 'new' templates and organization and settings to be confusing at best. Ugh. Looks like you made it all work nicely for you though!
- Janna
Janna, thank you so much. I hear you on the changes to smugmug. They added a lot of cool features, but made building a site a lot more difficult.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Tangfish wrote:Wonderful photos, Jesse! You keep getting better and better. Really impressive stuff, nice to have it all in one place. Keep at it brotha and let's go diving!
Thanks Calvin, appreciate it. Let's go diving dude!