Canon Rebel SL-1 (100D) and Ikelite Housing First impressions

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Canon Rebel SL-1 (100D) and Ikelite Housing First impressions

Post by nwscubamom »

I recently upgraded from a Canon G9 in an Ikelite housing w/DS-51 strobe, to a dSLR in an Ikelite housing w/ dome port, using the same DS-51 strobe.
What attracted me to this was the sales pitch from the Ikelite guy at DEMA. Since I wanted better quality, but didn't want a 'Death Star' setup, he showed me this camera and housing. It's currently the world's smallest dSLR, and the housing is only about 3/4" deeper as my current setup! That sold me right there.

Here's what it looks like without the strobe and focus light attached:
IMG_5989.JPG
IMG_5990.JPG
I really like Ikelite housings because you can SEE what's going on inside, as well as visually see the O-ring and can tell if it's sealed properly.
It packed pretty well inside my carryon for a recent trip to Fiji, and I was able to get some decent shots on the trip. Here's a small sample. (I did almost 30 dives on the trip, and took an average of 150 photos on each dive - so there's a lot to wade through!)
IMG_5059.jpg
IMG_4838.jpg
IMG_1987.jpg
IMG_1573.jpg
What's cool with the setup and the kit 18-55 lens is that it's so versatile! While I can't take super closeup shots, I can get somewhat close, and I am able to take much wider angle shots than I was able to with the G9.

So if you're in the market to go from your Point n Shoot to a dSLR, you might consider this camera as an alternative to full size bulky Death Star setups!

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Re: Canon Rebel SL-1 (100D) and Ikelite Housing First impressions

Post by Scubie Doo »

Very nice work. I am a big ikelite fan too :) their customer service is excellent. I have been looking for a smaller rig for Thursday dives. I may need to check this out.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Re: Canon Rebel SL-1 (100D) and Ikelite Housing First impressions

Post by Tangfish »

Great photos, Janna. I am definitely jealous of the smaller size and lighter weight. My rig seems to keep getting bigger and bulkier for travel (the only thing that shrinks is the amount of clothes I bring).