First time out with GH4 + Olympus 60mm macro

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

First time out with GH4 + Olympus 60mm macro

Post by ljjames »

phpBB [video]
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
bradmond
Submariner

Re: First time out with GH4 + Olympus 60mm macro

Post by bradmond »

very nice..thank you
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Liked watching the tube worm open up. Lighting on the GOP was perfect I thought.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Thanks all! I seriously can't wait to get out with it again!!! sadly still catching up from the Chicago/Lollapalooza trip plus house guests coming to town and a wedding to shoot on Saturday, so getting kit ready for that takes priority... Darn adult-ing getting in the way of diving ;)

I'll also write a review of the camera/housing/etc... If you have any interest in videography and have a moderate budget I would highly recommend taking a close look at this system.
----
DavidR
Just Settling In

Post by DavidR »

Beautiful video! Thank you.
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Can you see the video display well enough through the housing to frame things up and determine focus? I'm looking at the GH5 and am wondering if an external monitor would be required. Hopefully not!
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Really cool. Love the 60mm Oly lens, very great lens for PNW. Thanks for sharing!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Stephen,

Yes and no... I'm used to shooting with a tiny viewfinder with regards to framing and with the peaking i can for see when things are generally in focus. Now I'm using an Atomos Shogun in Nauticam housing as external monitor and off board recorder (for prores footage) which makes finding focus etc MUCH much easier for macro work. I've shot a lot with the 100mm macro on a Canon 5DMK2 with and without a supermacro adaptor and i find the 60mm on the GH4 (with the crop factor for 4k being in the 2.3 range) that its a bit of a unique experience. It's not quite supermacro but its longer than the 100mm on a full frame (which is pretty much my all time fav. Macro lens around here). Basically there is no 'fudging it' you need your framing and focus right on. Nudibranch's have a tendency to crawl out of my shot if I'm not careful. Also there is pretty much no room for a quick off the cuff handheld, with the 100mm i could sometimes pull off a stable enough shot without the tripod hunkering down just using my arms/hands etc, with the GH4 + 60mm shooting video that is a no go. (Also keep in mind I'm only talking 4k video, i don't really shoot stills, with stills and standard non-4k video it is more forgiving)
----
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Thanks Laura. I'll be shooting video and am used to using a tripod. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to layout the $ for a monitor. I"m trying to figure out an upgrade path from my current light and motion bluefin setup.
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I pushed back against getting an external monitor for years after switching from L&M housing that had one integrated. It took me one dive to get totally addicted to it again ;). Now I'm just sorting out the cables to make what I have compatible with all my systems.
----