Test Video GH4 30mm macro and V-Log L color profile

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
MikeMeagher
Dive-aholic

Test Video GH4 30mm macro and V-Log L color profile

Post by MikeMeagher »

Below is a link to my first test video taken with my GH4 using the Lumix G 30mm f2.8 macro lens and also the new V-Log L color profile. The video looks much better on the computer ass youtube adds some compression and contrast. Recorded in both 1920x and UHD 4K. Video was taken at Keystone this past week. Color graded using Davinci Resolve and the Varicam 35 LUT.

phpBB [video]
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: Test Video GH4 30mm macro and V-Log L color profile

Post by ljjames »

Very very nice! I've been incredibly pleased with the GH4. Did the hoop jumping muppet dance and for the V-LOG update as well, looks good so far :) (though for the casual shooter who does not do much color grading in post I don't recommend it)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
MikeMeagher
Dive-aholic

Post by MikeMeagher »

Yep, I agree. for the "casual" shooter, its too much work. For the perfectionist.. it like any other LOG profile, and takes knowing how to expose it and to grade it to get the best out of it. Its akin to the "zone" system we used years ago for still black and white work.. you have to know how to expose it and also to process it (in this case color grade it)
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

yes, exactly. We recently shot a whole day live music festival show with a hoard of (I wanna say 6 or 7) c300's shooting in C-LOG. The switcher had a secondary view with a LUT overlay but we (the lowly camera ops) were looking at the LOG image (for the lay person imagine seeing your camera's image very over exposed, washed out like you have a pale colored black and white with no blacks, everything really grey...) so unless shooting with a monitor or EVF that handled LUT's (Look Up Tables, an overlay that shows you what the image might look like when color corrected a specific way often based on old film stock as was referred to in Mike's description) you just had to know based on experience what the right exposure was. Luckily the majority of us shoot regularly on some variant of LOG :) Not a matter of perfectionist, more a matter of what the market is asking for these days.

reminds me of a song... "you gotta know how to ..." <grin>
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"