GoPro Macro Images

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
carlk3
Aquaphile

GoPro Macro Images

Post by carlk3 »

Greetings,

I just got a +15 Macro lens (and "Flip 4" system) from Backscatter.com for my GoPro. I thought others might be interested in the results.
BigOne5.jpg
Nudi4.jpg
MoreShrimp2.jpg
This is from Edmonds, yesterday. The nudibranch is in 35 fsw and the other two are in 20 fsw. The lens has a narrow depth of field, but because I shoot video and pull frames and I was able to find frames in focus. (In the last picture, I focused on the shrimp and not the little anemone.) We light with our diving spot lights, which led to some over exposure problems, but also to some accidentally dramatic lighting.

- Carl
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Re: GoPro Macro Images

Post by Jeremy »

Thanks for posting...I've been eyeing that macro lens and have been long curious as to how well it works.

Seems like lighting is more critical when using the macro lens and so you would want a GoPro with a back screen.

Thanks again for posting
carlk3
Aquaphile

Re: GoPro Macro Images

Post by carlk3 »

Jeremy,

I do have a GoPro with a LCD screen on back. I like the screen, but it's so small it's of limited use when judging exposure (or focus).

I think some settings do help with exposure: Protune and color=flat - their cost is that you need to process the video more after the dive.

Also, we'll just be more careful about aiming our spot lights directly at white anemones. :-)

- Carl