Diopter for SLR

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
inflex
Avid Diver

Diopter for SLR

Post by inflex »

What's your experience with diopters for SLR lenses or UW lens ports? Wet vs dry? Likes or dislikes? Protips in the setup?

I intend to try one on a Canon 100mm macro. I find myself wanting to shoot smaller and smaller stuff, and 1:1 just isn't satisfying the desire anymore :)
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Diopter for SLR

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
I was going to ask a similar question. I was going to ask if people enjoy shooting on a 100. Is there much to take photos of other than shrimp eye balls at this size? I've only shot on a 60mm (cropped sensor).

Looking forward to seeing examples!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

YellowEye wrote:Hi
I was going to ask a similar question. I was going to ask if people enjoy shooting on a 100. Is there much to take photos of other than shrimp eye balls at this size? I've only shot on a 60mm (cropped sensor).

Looking forward to seeing examples!
With the cropped sensor, you're shooting at an equivalent of a 96mm lens on a full frame camera. 100mm would equate to 160mm. I was seriously considering getting one during the recent GPO hatchings.

In my experience with using diopters with my g10, the depth of field became miniscule. Skip breathing was usually necessary in order to focus. Shooting moving subjects with it was wasn't practical - but it didn't stop me from trying. However, I was able to get some really nice, tight pics of slow moving and still subjects.

Scoobie has both +5 and +10 diopters that he'll use with a 100mm lens on his 5dmk2 (full frame sensor). I'm sure he'd share some pictures if we ask him nicely. :smt064
inflex
Avid Diver

Post by inflex »

Well, there's no difference in max "zoom" between 60mm vs 100mm, or any focal length for macro. You always end up at 1:1 max magnification for FF sensors (more for crop at pixel level). The advantage with a longer length lens is you get to 1:1 at a longer distance from subject.

As for higher than 1:1 magnification, that's where the diopter comes in, which lets you get closer than the minimum focus distance.

Would love to hear from folks who have experience with using diopters UW.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

I shoot a 100mm on a full frame sensor. I use the Subsee +5 and +10 wet diopters. After several dives I stopped using the +10 due to difficulty focusing with such a small DOF. I still use it on occasion, but only when I know exactly what I want to shoot. The main advantage to the wet diopters is that you can flip them down while diving. dry diopters require you to stick with that options throughout the dive.

Today, I dive the +5 almost exclusively. I flip between the +5 and no diopter. I have the settings figured out where I can flip down the diopter without having to change my camera settings. It took me about 20 dives to finally hit the sweet spot on the settings. Unfortunately, the +10 requires F16-F22 in order to have a manageable DOF.

Here are a few shots I took when I first starting using the diopters.

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... er#p255653

Please let me know if you have any specific questions. Have fun out there :-)
inflex
Avid Diver

Post by inflex »

Thanks and great pics!

Here's a question - how practical is using a diopter with a big underwater housing? 5Dmk2 and a 100mm is exactly what I shoot. Occasionally I'll find myself wanting to get closer than the MFD, along with the room to do so, but many other times I can't really get closer. I guess a more quantitative way to look at it -- what % of your shots are with the diopter?
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

If you look in my "recent" galleries (http://www.jessemillerphotography.com/P ... n-2015-Q4/) I'd say 50% of the macro shots are with the diopter. I have no problem getting super close. There are times that I can't get the rig close enough due to the environment. But I just flip up the diopter and try shooting a little farther away. I've even shot with a snoot and the +5. So that tells you that I can get close :)

The diopters are surprisingly heavy. But underwater, no problem with them.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Here is a recent photo of a rain drop on my car with the 100mm and +10 diopter. This was on a stable environment shot at f11, notice the small DOF. That is why a +10 is super difficult underwater :-)

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Scubie pretty much nailed all the most important aspects of diopters, such as the ability to flip them out of the way with wet diopters vs dry ones being on for the whole dive or dives.

I use a 2:1 wet diopter and I absolutely love it. Probably over half of my macro shooting is using the diopter these days. Shooting full frame and 105mm

There are ways to adapt to the shallow dof and focusing. 80% of my macro shots are done with manual focus to begin with, but for some really challenging situations I'll leave the focus set approximately where I want it and will move my whole camera rig back and forth as necessary to get the shot. It sounds harder than it is once you get used to it.

Good luck and great question.