Moisture in housing tips

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Moisture in housing tips

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
I learned a couple tips for dealing with the unfortunate event of moisture/fogging in your camera housing setup over the last couple months

1) if you do get fog in your camera (or you're afraid of this), I found on my California trip that if I placed ice on my housing, away from the dome that it would draw the moisture towards the ice. I put the ice well away from my dome and near my silica gel moisture absorbant pack
2) you can make your own silica gel packs easily using pure silica gel kitty litter and coffee filters (roll your own and tape it up). I make mine as big as can comfortably sit inside my housing.

Of course you can always try to keep your camera away from temperature differences, but this is not always practical.

Hope it helps!
Any other tips?
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: Moisture in housing tips

Post by fmerkel »

Dive only in the winter. :supz:
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

If possible, seal up your housing inside an air conditioned room. AC removes humidity from the air so there will be less moisture in housing to form that annoying fog bank.
Dave
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

I put my camera in the housing in my garage, where I can hit it with some air out of a tank just before I close it up. Our tanks are a great source of super dry air, just make sure the reg is completely dry before hitting the purge button ;)
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Very interesting tip!
I will have to try that, thanks dave!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!