Belize dive video

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Belize dive video

Post by stphnmartin »

I was tempted to put this in the dive reports section, but since it took me a year to get this one done, the video section seems more appropriate. Anyway, this time last year I went on my first liveaboard trip to Belize on the Sun Dancer II which is now a part of the Aggressor fleet. Now I'm hooked on liveaboards! I got in 27 dives and managed to see some very cool things such as dolphins, eagle rays and a manatee. Of course I didn't get any decent footage of those creatures. Nor did I find a frog fish! But, I did confirm ambient light and clearer water really messes with my PNW grown underwater video skills. I'll stop typing now and just give you the link.

I like to keep videos down to 2-3 minutes for short attention spans. But, this one weighs in at over 6 minutes. Hope you can hang in there! (The coolest stuff is at the end!)

:popcorn:

phpBB [video]
Last edited by stphnmartin on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
GearHead
Submariner

Belize dive video

Post by GearHead »

Very well done! As in your other videos, the drone shots add overall perspective and narrative quality.
I need to get back to some warmer water soon.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Re: Belize dive video

Post by Scubie Doo »

Superb!!!!! Your videos are absolutely amazing.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Very Cool!

I really like the Garden Eel scene - I can never seem to get within 50 feet of them before they shoot back in their hole.

Did you do anything to waterproof your Phantom drone? I've looking around for a waterproof GoPro capable drone but what's out there isn't very impressive.
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Thanks Billz. Yeah, I couldn't get close to the garden eels either. My camera has a 10X optical zoom, so I was off a ways and fully zoomed in (also why it's a little fuzzy). Then I went back on a second dive with the wide angle lens to get the scene of the garden eel colony. Prior to this, I sat the camera up right next to one of their holes, started recording and swam away. I managed to get 3 minutes of footage of the hole! It never emerged!

I haven't waterproofed the drone. I've been relying upon not crashing into water. So far so good. There's the phantom 2 for the GoPro. While the gopro would be protected, the drone would die when it hits the salt water.
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

GearHead wrote:Very well done! As in your other videos, the drone shots add overall perspective and narrative quality.
I need to get back to some warmer water soon.
Thanks GearHead! I need to be back in warmer water soon too.
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Scubie Doo wrote:Superb!!!!! Your videos are absolutely amazing.
Appreciate it Scubie!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Wow....very impressive! Top notch all the way. Could be something you would see on tv!
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Gdog wrote:Wow....very impressive! Top notch all the way. Could be something you would see on tv!
Thanks Gdog! Hope things are going well with your wife's recovery.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

stphnmartin wrote:
Gdog wrote:Wow....very impressive! Top notch all the way. Could be something you would see on tv!
Thanks Gdog! Hope things are going well with your wife's recovery.
She is recovering slowly. Thank you!