Winter in the Sound.

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Winter in the Sound.

Post by theonly_JT »

Hi all!

I finally got around to making a video from this past winter. I survived my first winter diving in the sound and I'm pretty happy with how this turned out!

I'm still fairly new to this whole diving AND underwater cinematography thing...sooo PLEASE leave suggestions, comments, words of wisdom, critiques to improve my skills. I'm doing this all on a GoPro and sola 1200's with a macro lens and tripod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVL88bdI51U&t=1s

Enjoy!
-JT
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
Duckdiver
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Winter in the Sound.

Post by Duckdiver »

Nice work,I wanna get a gopro too and do the same. People I talk to have no idea of the awesomeness of the underwater world. Highly addictive,and great dive community. Only down side is the cost.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Very nice!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Really well done! You are getting so good! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

Looks great. I also have a Beneath the Surface tray. I added a trigger system to it before my trip to Cozumel. It works great!! Really handy to use the shutter without letting go of the handle. You can buy the trigger system separately from the tray.

http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/bts- ... ger-system
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

JT, nicely done. It looks great!
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by theonly_JT »

Thanks guys!! Im still trying to figure out how to work with limited resolution due to flat lens, and fixed length lens. Any suggestions on how to avoid/reduce backscatter when setting up my tripod? With macro I have to be so close to the subject that a lot get blow out by silt.
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Nice video and editing! Unfortunately in our dusty, nutrient rich waters backscatter is a big problem. When using a tripod I try and adjust the legs while hovering a bit away from the subject. I try to get the legs in the general shape of the structure to set it upon. This will help reduce stirring up silt with lots of adjustments. Then it's just a matter of moving slowly and gently to frame things up.

You'll also want to angle your lights so the light doesn't bounce off particulate and back into the lens.

It's also good to consider water movement. If there is a slight current from the north, then you want to be oriented with the camera generally facing north with your body down wind so you don't silt yourself out!
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by theonly_JT »

Thanks Stephen those are great tips I will make good use of. Never though about using the currents to avoid silt. I'm going to definitely work on image stabilization and smoother panning too. Got a lot of work to do to catch up to some of you guys!!

Your feedback is much appreciated!
-JT