Best dive camera less than $500?

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
cephalogoddess
Frequent Bubbler

Best dive camera less than $500?

Post by cephalogoddess »

Hey guys, for the past year I've been using a $150 canon camera but I'd like to upgrade. I am most into photographing nudibranchs and other small subjects. I want a better camera for detail but I just don't know where to start. Do I need a specific light for a camera to take better photos or is a dive light ok? What are some good brands to look at? Preferably under $500 but I have been wanting a camera upgrade for a while and am willing to save up
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Best dive camera less than $500?

Post by theonly_JT »

I was struck with the same dilemma a year ago. I went with a GoPro, sola video lights, tripod and macro lens. It's definitely not DSLR quality but I think for the price is hard to beat. Not to mention the versatility with taking video etc. I'm now wishing I had housing for my SLR though.....

Just my 2 psi....

-JT
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
What kind of camera/housing do you have now? Does it allow strobes?

Getting a strobe on your camera can make a bigger diff than the camera itself. Here's a cheaper camera which allows strobes (I don't know much about that cam though): viewtopic.php?f=45&t=26530

Another big element is the lens. For nudibranchs, getting a good macro lens, such as a Nikon 60mm is ideal.

You may want to look for an old used Nikon d70 or d80 with 60mm lens in ikelite housing with a single strobe, you can do quite well with that for fairly cheap (though it may slightly exceed 500 due to the lens cost). It would take you much much further than a newer 64 megapixel camera with poor lighting and lens :)

Another factor, probably the most important, is how you use your camera and lights. Have you gotten some good tips for usage? Come down to ThThTh or maybe the club dive and people can give tips!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
cephalogoddess
Frequent Bubbler

Post by cephalogoddess »

My current camera is canon powershot D30. I don't know anything about strobes; interesting I thought a better camera would be more important! I have a little sola dive light that I use to take pics with. I haven't talked to anyone about technique; just been practicing with light and camera at different angles and such. I like how the light can give photos a spotlight effect. Thanks for help; much appreciated.
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

A strobe will be much more beneficial than a new camera. Of course, both would be better, but a strobe alone will take up your $500 limit. Normal lights just don't have anywhere close to the power of a strobe.

If you want a camera to upgrade to, then I'd look at an Olympus TG-4 or TG-5 if you want a compact. A mirrorless camera would also be a good choice if you want smaller than a DSLR, but still have the ability to change lenses. You can pick up Olympus E-PM1's with a housing for under $500 (I'm selling my old one to a friend for $400).
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

A camera is very important, but equally important is good lighting. You will be amazed at how much difference it makes. I would consider the above, or even consider a tray and strobe, along the lines of these....

https://www.opticaloceansales.com/sea-a ... okEALw_wcB

or this..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SeaLife-Digi ... 3=&veh=sem

The camera can only process what image it sees based on the light that goes into it. Inadequate lighting makes for inadequate photos.
Hey, great questions, and Im sure you will have more. Feel free to ask more, and as Eric said, come dive with us and we can discuss it further!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Doing a search, your camera may not be able to attach an underwater strobe unless its inside an underwater housing with a port for the strobe cable.
So you may need to find a different camera setup. There are many such out there, used, for inexpensive. There are probably people on this board who have upgraded to dslr and have something like that for sale. I would suggest watching, asking questions, and finding something like that, which allows you to put the light on the subject so you can get the shots you want.
cephalogoddess
Frequent Bubbler

Post by cephalogoddess »

Thanks everyone. I work at a dive shop and can get dealer price which is usually half off on any brands we carry and the underwater camera brand we carry is SeaLife- are there cameras/strobes any good? The catalog i'm looking at does not list prices which is concerning....
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Here is something you may consider.....
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/th ... 06.547326/

I have this same setup as a backup, works great.
I dont know much about the sealife stuff.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Have a similar setup, Oly EPL1. You need a strobe to get the best out of it.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen