32 gig capacity with TG-4

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
JJHACK
Aquaphile

32 gig capacity with TG-4

Post by JJHACK »

Anybody care to guess about how many photos can a 32g SD card can hold in an Olympus TG4?

I’m at 800, but going to Barkley sound. Maybe I need another SD card for this 5 day dive trip?
The best things in life are not things
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: 32 gig capacity with TG-4

Post by Gdog »

Depends on if you are shooting raw, jpeg, and how large the files are. I'd grab another SD card if I were you
JJHACK
Aquaphile

Post by JJHACK »

Yes I have one for the trip. I shoot standard Jpeg at 16mp The Olympus chart on the webpage they have shows 3000 pictures. I'm not in a position to argue that However, it's surprising that it could hold that many.
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

Personally, I like to have more smaller cards. Swap them out after every day. That way if you get a card error or flood or something else catastrophic, you don't lose all your photos. I think I have 4 or 5 cards that I put on rotation. They are so cheap to get a bunch of 4 or 8GB cards that it's not really a big deal.

Just remember the rules of digital storage. 1 is none and 2 is 1.

For instance, one of my cards that I used on my Guadalupe trip last month didn't write about 10 photos correctly. Swap it out and save the card elsewhere to try and fix later.
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

I move data off the cards the day of shooting onto a laptop with a backup. On a recent trip the primary drive died, but I had it all backed up. So, basically, get the data off the SD cards as soon as possible and don't use them as a storage area.
Last edited by stphnmartin on Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

stphnmartin wrote:I move data off the cards the day of shooting onto a laptop with a backup. On a recent trip the primary drive died, but I had it all backed up. So, basically, get the data of the SD cards as soon as possible and don't use them as a storage area.
Totally agree. I do the same, even tho it's the last thing you want to do on vacation. But It can mean saving your photos. And +1 to the adage, 1 is none, and 2 is one.
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

stphnmartin wrote:I move data off the cards the day of shooting onto a laptop with a backup. On a recent trip the primary drive died, but I had it all backed up. So, basically, get the data of the SD cards as soon as possible and don't use them as a storage area.
That's what I did on my trip. Import them into the computer, and then put the cards away in my bag down in my cabin after every day. 2 forms of storage. I didn't have an external drive to move onto so I had to keep multiple cards.
JJHACK
Aquaphile

Post by JJHACK »

Well, I have well over 1000 photo's on that 32g card now. This Olympus TG4 is quite handy to save photo's with the wifi feature. I loaded the ones I really liked to my Iphone over wifi in a few minutes.

This is effectivly like laptop storage, just using my phone. I have now also been able to wifi them to the Macbook as well. So I can save them in mass quantities to my Mac.

Still not sure where the limit is on this SD card but I know it's well over 1000 now. I will delete all but the very best of the photo's I have on this card. Just because I have the capacity on the card. Then I can start over filling it again.

One other aspect to this,.. is that this was a new camera to me with a lot to learn and practice. Now, I have much better skills and take better photo's with far less attempts. I would venture a guess I'll take half as many going forward as I have from the start. My flash and video lighting education is far better today.

I appreciate this site more than words can say! You guys may take for granted many of your skills experience and knowledge. However, for a fella like me trying to absorb as much as I can to make the most of my limited time in the sea, Thank you all!
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

That'll drop even more the more you use your camera. Typically I'll take 2 or 3 of whatever I'm trying to get a photo of and move on. If something's not working for me in the first few shots, I don't bother wasting air trying to make it better. If I like what I see, then I'll hang around more though.