#avatareducator for the underwater world

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

#avatareducator for the underwater world

Post by ljjames »

This is something i've been toying with for quite a while and this past weekend technology and opportunity finally collided.... The avatar and narration are not sync'd up but this is just a really rough first try from the weekend hackathon (meaning it was done in under 48 hours) it was originally done in unity so you could walk around my character and she started up with gaze detect on a 'start educator' icon.

The motion capture was done down at MoCap Now whilst wearing a headset so I was watching the scenery (just not the exact scene) while capturing the gestures to try and make them a bit more ...animated. The mesh (skin) was made in makehuman a cool program that makes skins to overlay onto the motion sequences. They did not have a scuba suit so the intern kindly made me one that matches my snazzy DUI drysuit :) We also did photogrammetry and a structure sensor scan of me IN My drysuit, so hopefully future renditions will be a bit more realistic in that sense.

Don't laugh too hard, i know it's totally cheeseball, but the end goal is to kind of merge a VR game with 360 video and environmental education. Janna, i'm even working on simulated fish counts!!! :)

https://youtu.be/ZTlkwWVfKh0
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: #avatareducator for the underwater world

Post by ljjames »

another mock-up... this time about plankton. In the next week or so Mocap Now will be helping me refine the hands on the avatar and then sooner than later i'll get an iPhone X for when i record the narration so that her face is correct and in sync with the words :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxXidjmI-hw
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: #avatareducator for the underwater world

Post by Gdog »

Really interesting Laura. Will be fun to see where this goes!