PSA: Nauticam using images without permission!

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
stphnmartin
Amphibian

PSA: Nauticam using images without permission!

Post by stphnmartin »

Just wanted to make a PSA if you're a photographer who shares your images on social networks.

I recently went to the Nauticam website to research a dome port for my GH5 camera. I was a bit surprised to find one of my photos on the nauticam website used to promote a housing for the GH5. (See attached photo). I and several other people who had photos taken without permission contacted Nauticam and their initial response was that they were not violating any copyright laws and the use of our images was legal. Further, they stated our use of the #nauticamhousing hash tag was implicit permission to use our photos.

As complaints mounted, Nauticam removed the images they had appropriated, but never apologized for using them without permission.

So, just be careful out there. You may not know your images are being used to sell products for which you have not given permission. Especially be careful with hashtags. My image was taken from Instagram but others had theirs taken from Facebook.

There is a thread on wetpixel.com about the ongoing issue:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?sh ... 7&p=394984
IMG_0464.JPG
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: PSA: Nauticam using images without permission!

Post by ScubaJess »

Man that's crazy! But it is a really nice shrimp pic I can see how they would love to use it. However they should have asked you first & paid you also for the hard work it took to get such an epic shot! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

:angry: Welcome to the aggravating world of Internet image theft, where people and businesses feel unapologetically entitled to steal your photos.

Imagine walking through a bookstore and seeing one of your images on the cover of a magazine... Without permission or payment. Mine:
world_watch.jpg
I'm pleased they liked it for the cover. But unhappy they didn't even ask. Grr.
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

60south wrote::angry: Welcome to the aggravating world of Internet image theft, where people and businesses feel unapologetically entitled to steal your photos.

Imagine walking through a bookstore and seeing one of your images on the cover of a magazine... Without permission or payment. Mine:

world_watch.jpg
I'm pleased they liked it for the cover. But unhappy they didn't even ask. Grr.
Did you take legal action against the magazine?
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

stphnmartin wrote:Did you take legal action against the magazine?
No. They are a non-profit, trying to do good things. Legal action would have just cost us all time and money.

'Tis a shame. I would have gladly given them permission, but instead they chose to be inconsiderate.

Another time, a photo thief stole -- and was trying to re-sell -- photos from me and several other people. The creep claimed that he wouldn't remove the photos because he "went to a lot of work" to get them and sell them on the net. My god! That time we had the backing of a major corporation who took legal action.

Watermark your photos! And never upload full resolution copies.
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

60south wrote:
stphnmartin wrote:Did you take legal action against the magazine?
No. They are a non-profit, trying to do good things. Legal action would have just cost us all time and money.

'Tis a shame. I would have gladly given them permission, but instead they chose to be inconsiderate.

Another time, a photo thief stole -- and was trying to re-sell -- photos from me and several other people. The creep claimed that he wouldn't remove the photos because he "went to a lot of work" to get them and sell them on the net. My god! That time we had the backing of a major corporation who took legal action.

Watermark your photos! And never upload full resolution copies.
Apparently "trying to do good things" didn't include being kind to you. Also, non-profit doesn't by default mean they have no money to pay for things that benefit them. Anyway, I feel your pain!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Glenn, awesome pic, sad you got robbed!

There's a guy who keeps lifting my images for his facebook feed. He often gives no credit, or incorrect credit when reposting images. He does it with other undrewater photographers as well. I told him super politely to address the issue, and what does he do? He blocks me!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!