Newbie UW Video cam Advice

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
SCUBARM79
Avid Diver

Newbie UW Video cam Advice

Post by SCUBARM79 »

Hey folks-

New to the idea of underwater vid capture. Curious if anyone has used the new GoPro 7 Hero action cameras (or any iteration of these) for diving in Puget Sound area. In effect I'm looking to capture the dive and other under water (UW) aspects but am not ready to choke on the cost of a higher end rig. Action cams are relatively inexpensive and fairly versatile at rec dive depths (targeted operation above 100 ft). Not trying to make PBS specials, but want to learn UW vid skills at an entry level.

was also looking at the Olympus TG Tracker?

Perspective? Opinion? Things I haven't considered?

Thanks for making me smarter!
Vjw
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Newbie UW Video cam Advice

Post by Vjw »

Welcome!! I’m no expert, but a few thoughts about UW video - I used GoPro at first and think it’s good for wide angle and can get ok footage of smallish critters (not actual macro) with a +15 macromate sold by Backscatter that flips in front of the GoPro.

That being said, if you’re starting from scratch I’d consider the Olympus TG-6 (just came out) over the GoPro because it’s similar in price and has more options (better for smaller creatures and for the murkiness here in our waters) and produces crisper and more colorful video in my opinion. It’s also water proof to 60 ft without a housing. Good luck on your search! :joshsmith:
SCUBARM79
Avid Diver

Re: Newbie UW Video cam Advice

Post by SCUBARM79 »

THANKS! Vjw. Yes, I am starting TOTALLY from scratch but on a tight budget. I've got a DSLR that I have no interest in flooding underwater and am exploring options. Most appreciated.