2 lower power strobes vs 1 high power strobe

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
cephalogoddess
Frequent Bubbler

2 lower power strobes vs 1 high power strobe

Post by cephalogoddess »

Hi friends,
I am trying to get into more advanced underwater photography (been shooting with a Canon D30 PowerShot for the last 2 years...). I am on a budget and need to buy a new camera as well as strobes. I am mostly interested in macro but would also like to be able to do some wide angle shots. And I'm going to Indonesia in March! :)

I have been offered a great deal on a pair of Inon Z240s for only $400. However, I could also afford 1 YS-D2J strobe or InonZ330. What would you recommend I do? Would it be better to shoot with 2 lower power (guide # 24) strobes or one higher power (guide #32) strobe?

Thank you very much for any input.
-Taryn
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Re: 2 lower power strobes vs 1 high power strobe

Post by Greg Jensen »

I'm not familiar with those strobes, but strictly from a 2 smaller vs 1 big I'd go with the 2. Macro doesn't need much power (I only use one small strobe) and having two will give you more flexibility for your wide angle. Plus if one strobe dies you have a backup.
cephalogoddess
Frequent Bubbler

Post by cephalogoddess »

Thanks Greg, I decided to go with the 2 lower power strobes. By saving so much money on strobes I can afford a better video light anyways (: Looking at the Kraken Hydra 5000s+ right now unless there are suggestions for better video lights for $600 or less.

If I have anything left in my bank account after this I'll also be able to get a budget wide angle lens for the TG6. Woohoo!

Taryn
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

cephalogoddess wrote:Thanks Greg, I decided to go with the 2 lower power strobes. By saving so much money on strobes I can afford a better video light anyways (: Looking at the Kraken Hydra 5000s+ right now unless there are suggestions for better video lights for $600 or less.

If I have anything left in my bank account after this I'll also be able to get a budget wide angle lens for the TG6. Woohoo!

Taryn
Taryn,

I have about both (2) smaller strobes and (2) larger high powered strobes. I would agree that you made the right choice. (2) smaller strobes is perfect for macro and Indonesia. I shot this whole gallery in indo on (2) small strobes.

https://www.jessemillerphotography.com/ ... Indonesia/

I have found the (2) larger strobes offer two benefits. First, faster recycle time and second better coverage for wide angle. Personally, I do not like blasting macro critters with multiple shots and high powered strobes. So the smaller strobes force me to be more patient and take a couple good shots instead of blinding the critter and hoping for a shot. If I was to shoot WA, I may opt for higher power.

JM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

BTW - I would not consider the Inon 240 to be a low powered strobe. It may not be quite as beefy as the 330 or the latest S&S's but that model is more than adequate for awesome Wide Angle or Macro shots. Some of the best photographers around are using the 240's with amazing results.

Your photos are going to be limited only by your (growing) skillset and technique. What you are putting together should give a solid foundation.
Dave
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
The only time you should need a high powered strobe is if you're shooting wide angle into the sun in the shallows and you want the foreground to match the intensity of the sun. In fact, it turns out that many strobes are too strong for our waters when the viz is bad on a dark day and you want your strobe to match ambient. Counter intuitive but true!

Another option is to just go with 1 low powered strobe. It is easier to learn on one strobe!

Good luck, have fun!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
cephalogoddess
Frequent Bubbler

Post by cephalogoddess »

Thanks everyone, I went with the Z240s and a Kraken Hydra 5000s+ video light. I think I'll start with one strobe to make learning easier... the huge variety and complexity of lighting, lens, housing, arms, clamps, etc etc is overwhelming!
Scubie Doo wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:36 am Taryn,

I have about both (2) smaller strobes and (2) larger high powered strobes. I would agree that you made the right choice. (2) smaller strobes is perfect for macro and Indonesia. I shot this whole gallery in indo on (2) small strobes.

https://www.jessemillerphotography.com/ ... Indonesia/

I have found the (2) larger strobes offer two benefits. First, faster recycle time and second better coverage for wide angle. Personally, I do not like blasting macro critters with multiple shots and high powered strobes. So the smaller strobes force me to be more patient and take a couple good shots instead of blinding the critter and hoping for a shot. If I was to shoot WA, I may opt for higher power.

JM
Jesse, the photos from your Indonesia trip are incredible. I see you went to central Sulawesi. I'll definitely stay in North Sulawesi for Lembeh Strait and perhaps Bangka Island, but I'm still flexible on location for the remainder of the trip. I'll have to look into Tompotika because of your photos.
dlh wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:11 pm BTW - I would not consider the Inon 240 to be a low powered strobe. It may not be quite as beefy as the 330 or the latest S&S's but that model is more than adequate for awesome Wide Angle or Macro shots. Some of the best photographers around are using the 240's with amazing results.

Your photos are going to be limited only by your (growing) skillset and technique. What you are putting together should give a solid foundation.
Hi Dave, good to hear. Excited to try out the 240s. I joined some UW Photography groups on Facebook and was pleased to see how many amazing photographs were taken with one or 2 of the z240s.

Are there any good tutorials on Youtube or articles you'd recommend for someone learning how to use and position strobes? I assume experience will be the most useful learning tool but I won't be able to get in the water for a week or so and I'm getting antsy!

Thanks everyone,
-Taryn