best beginner camera? (looking @ G7x iii vs TG6)

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
cephalogoddess
Frequent Bubbler

best beginner camera? (looking @ G7x iii vs TG6)

Post by cephalogoddess »

Hi friends,
I've recently graduated college and before going to graduate school for marine biology I want to get into underwater photography. Of course I'm on a budget. I want to mainly shoot macro but would like to be able to shoot quality video as well.

Being on a tight budget, the 2 cameras I'm trying to decide between are the Olympus TG6 and the Canon G7x iii. Of course, the G7x is about twice the price but it does have full manual capabilities whereas the TG6 does not. However, the TG6 looks super easy to use and great macro. But I do want to be able to advance my photography skills which I know would be more possible with the G7x.

I will also be buying at least one strobe and a video light (of course if I go with the TG6 I could afford 2 strobes...). But I don't want to buy a cheaper camera now and then decide in a year that I need to upgrade again. And unfortunately right now I really can't afford anything more expensive than the G7x :(

I'll mainly be taking photos in the PNW but I am going to Indonesia in March. So I also want a camera that I'll be able to figure out how to use in only a couple of months.

What do you recommend? Does anyone have experience with one or both of these cameras and if so what do you like and what don't you like? Can the G7x iii shoot decent macro or would I need to purchase an additional macro lens?

Thank you so much for any advice!
-Taryn
Sharkb8
Dive-aholic

Re: best beginner camera? (looking @ G7x iii vs TG6)

Post by Sharkb8 »

cephalogoddess wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:42 pm Hi friends,
I've recently graduated college and before going to graduate school for marine biology I want to get into underwater photography. Of course I'm on a budget. I want to mainly shoot macro but would like to be able to shoot quality video as well.

Being on a tight budget, the 2 cameras I'm trying to decide between are the Olympus TG6 and the Canon G7x iii. Of course, the G7x is about twice the price but it does have full manual capabilities whereas the TG6 does not. However, the TG6 looks super easy to use and great macro. But I do want to be able to advance my photography skills which I know would be more possible with the G7x.

I will also be buying at least one strobe and a video light (of course if I go with the TG6 I could afford 2 strobes...). But I don't want to buy a cheaper camera now and then decide in a year that I need to upgrade again. And unfortunately right now I really can't afford anything more expensive than the G7x :(

I'll mainly be taking photos in the PNW but I am going to Indonesia in March. So I also want a camera that I'll be able to figure out how to use in only a couple of months.

What do you recommend? Does anyone have experience with one or both of these cameras and if so what do you like and what don't you like? Can the G7x iii shoot decent macro or would I need to purchase an additional macro lens?

Thank you so much for any advice!
-Taryn
The TG6 is an incredible value. I’d say get one and use the money saved on more light. I have had one since August and love it. The lack of manual mode is occasionally annoying but you can cheat the camera pretty easily. Check out Val’s movie she posted yesterday from Ambon for an example of its video capabilities (and her awesome skills :luv: ). The backscatter guys love it and there are a bunch of other websites with guides on achieving the best camera settings.

https://www.backscatter.com/reviews/pos ... act-Camera

Is this the Taryn from Bellingham that was working at Gone diving?

Ross (from Bellingham)
Party underwater
cephalogoddess
Frequent Bubbler

Post by cephalogoddess »

Wow, that macro video looks incredible. Yes, this is the Taryn in Bellingham who used to work at Gone Diving! Hi! (I also used to work at Washington Divers, but that only lasted a couple months for obvious reasons if you're familiar with that shop)
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Another vote for the tg-6. Great little camera, and its inherent waterproofness will save you a lot of grief if your housing ever leaks.
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

The TG-6 offers enough manual controls to get by.

Having good strobes and photo editing software are also very important for developing skills. These days, I fuss with my strobes much more than ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. The TG-6's small size and close focusing capabilities have allowed me to light some photos in ways I find very very difficult with a full SLR rig.

Here's a sampling of photos I've taken with the TG-6:

I haven't done much wide angle with it, to be fair.
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

A few TG-6
red irish lord.JPG
cucumbers.JPG
P3310118.JPG
wide angle shots, using a single small strobe
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

REALLY nice snaps Greg!!! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Derek I love your snaps too!!! :) great colors!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
cephalogoddess
Frequent Bubbler

Post by cephalogoddess »

Ill have to read more about the settings on the TG6. Beautiful photos Greg & Derek. I just ordered the TG6 and housing! Super excited. For strobes I got a great deal on a pair of Inon Z240s. I'm also going to get a Kraken Hydra 5000 video light.

I need to get a double handle aluminum tray. Any recommendations? Are the $60 aluminum trays as "good" as the $130 ikelite dual handle tray?

I'll be diving at Edmonds next weekend to play with the new camera. Likely wont have my lights by then but that's okay. I cant wait!

Taryn
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Another vote for the Olympus TG.
Here are some with TG-5. One external strobe & wide angle wet lens.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Beginner camera TG-6 hands down. And you can take it to the stratosphere. Throw in a tray and at least one strobe and you've got a really good rig.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
cephalogoddess
Frequent Bubbler

Post by cephalogoddess »

Tom Nic wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:24 pm Beginner camera TG-6 hands down. And you can take it to the stratosphere. Throw in a tray and at least one strobe and you've got a really good rig.
Perfect, my new TG6 will be delivered tomorrow :) I also have a tray, video light, and strobes on the way. Can't wait to try everything out!
Jan K wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:35 pm Another vote for the Olympus TG.
Here are some with TG-5. One external strobe & wide angle wet lens.
Jan, your photo compositions are stunning as always. I love your dive log- it's a work of art! What application do you use to make your photo collages? The only lens I have seen in my price range right now is the Backscatter M52 Wide Angle Air lens. I will need to buy a wide lens before my Indonesia trip for sure but may hold off right now and learn how everything else works together first.

Thanks again for the advice everyone!
Taryn
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Jan, your photo compositions are stunning as always. I love your dive log- it's a work of art! What application do you use to make your photo collages? The only lens I have seen in my price range right now is the Backscatter M52 Wide Angle Air lens. I will need to buy a wide lens before my Indonesia trip for sure but may hold off right now and learn how everything else works together first.
Thank you. For the log I use old Photoshop, working in layers.
Good luck in your underwater photography, looking forward to watch your progress.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

I'm amazed by the versatility of the TG 6 when it has the wet wide angle lens (Backscatter) attached. These uncropped shots were taken with it on, same dives as the WA I posted above. I originally thought I'd be taking it off and on as I changed from wide angle to macro, but that is only necessary if I'm shooting something really tiny.
Attachments
hermit.JPG
scallop.JPG
dock shrimp.JPG