2021.11.07 - Alki Junkyard

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
ktuli
Avid Diver

2021.11.07 - Alki Junkyard

Post by ktuli »

Figured I should share some of the highlights from my first dive with you folks! Thanks all for pointing stuff out for me and helping to train my eyes a bit more for the local critters. I missed critical focus on a couple of these and think I want to go back and try for some better shots of those skeleton shrimp and the hooded nudis (I had one shot looking right into the mouth of one with the hood opened and a piece of seagrass drifted right into the shot and ruined it!)
IMG_0601.jpg
IMG_0605.jpg
IMG_0627.jpg
IMG_0635.jpg
IMG_0637.jpg
IMG_0646.jpg
IMG_0649.jpg
IMG_0654.jpg
IMG_0661.jpg
SEAriously
Avid Diver

Re: 2021.11.07 - Alki Junkyard

Post by SEAriously »

A Hooded Nudi at Alki?! Sweet!
ktuli
Avid Diver

Post by ktuli »

Not "a" ... multiple. I saw at least half a dozen. They seemed to be all throughout the seagrass. That is two different individuals above, and I know I saw at least a handful more that just weren't in a spot to even try for some shots. I'm not super familiar with them - can anyone tell me if those are two different species or just different color patterns of the ones above?
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Very cool!
Glad you're getting acquainted!

For the hooded nudies, they seem to vary from clear to opaque brown, with and without spots and branch-like patterns. The branches vary in color from muted blue to yellow or in your case orange. They also come in a variety of sizes. Those you saw were very small. As far as I know it is one species. I don't know what causes the variation. They're also extremely seasonal, they come and go before you know it. It has been several years since I've seen them at the junkyard. Sometimes they aggregate by the thousands at certain locations.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Was so much fun diving with you!!! Excellent snaps!!! I love hooded nudies and green sea hares! I also want to go back and see the skeleton shrimp again. It was hard to get a clean shot since they were having a party. I've never seen that many all together before :)

Hope the weather will let us dive with you again soon. Hopefully at keystone!!!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
ktuli
Avid Diver

Post by ktuli »

There is a Marker Buoy dive there tomorrow evening... I'm supposed to dive at Cove 2 in the evening, so I'm trying to find some folks who would want to dive the Junkyard earlier (I'm available any time after 2:30PM). If anyone is interested, let me know!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
I can't.

FYI, I forgot to mention in our site briefing that Alki Junkyard can be current sensitive. Usually ebbs aren't too bad as they're more protected. Tomorrow's ebb should be weaker than Sunday's.

-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

ktuli wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:44 pm There is a Marker Buoy dive there tomorrow evening... I'm supposed to dive at Cove 2 in the evening, so I'm trying to find some folks who would want to dive the Junkyard earlier (I'm available any time after 2:30PM). If anyone is interested, let me know!
I plan to be at the Junkyard arriving @ 3:30pm on Wednesday. Several others from the Marker Buoy group will be there too.
Dave