Arm to strobe length maximum distance

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
bryandees
Just Settling In

Arm to strobe length maximum distance

Post by bryandees »

Is there a maximum armature length based upon the camera lens size? I'm trying to determine how long my arms should be in relation to the maximum focal length for my camera. I noticed that Derek has very long arms on his rig, whereas mine is rather short by comparison. Is there some formula to determine maximum strobe distance/length?

Thank you,

Bryan
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Arm to strobe length maximum distance

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
It will depend on the type of shots you want to take.

Richard Salas started a trend of using long arms for backlighting macro or mid range subjects. You need arms long enough to be able to reach around the back of your subject. For general macro, you probably don't need arms as long as Derek, but some length helps for flexibility in lighting.

Long arms are also useful for wide angle. I use circa 2.5 foot long arms (including base) for most of my wide angle. You can go too long, as eventually you'll start losing color. I usually go shorter than the full 2.5 feet
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
bryandees
Just Settling In

Post by bryandees »

Thanks for the reply,

I'm interested in determining how long I'll need in order to capture a large wreck in tropical waters. The Florida Keys for example. They have 50' visibility, down to 100' on average. My arms extend from their posts to the strobe ball, about 20". I have a wide-angle dome lens that I plan on using as well.

I'm using a TG-6 with Sea and Sea YS01 and YS03 strobes.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

20" is not bad, but a bit more won't hurt. You can extend that a bit by getting longer arm clamps. They provide more comfort to boot!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!