New pictures from my last dive

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Your fish looks to be a Crescent Gunnel
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
H20doctor

Post by H20doctor »

H20doctor

Post by H20doctor »

Cool a gunnel, Ive seen them larger and bright Green... The Octo was at mukilteo last week on Wed night.. We always see Octopus when we dive there...
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

H20doctor wrote:Cool a gunnel, Ive seen them larger and bright Green... The Octo was at mukilteo last week on Wed night.. We always see Octopus when we dive there...
The green one was probably a Penpoint Gunnel, like this one
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
H20doctor

Post by H20doctor »

Yep, I see those guys all the time diving...they are quite common
Where is Day Island Wall, and how do you get to it..? is it a shore dive or Boat..?
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Re: New pictures from my last dive

Post by nwscubamom »

H20doctor wrote:These are from Edmonds U P..

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1380/145 ... 5b.jpg?v=0

...And what type of sponge is that orange stuff..?

That's no sponge - that's an invasive tunicate - Botrylloides violaceous. :(

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

H20doctor wrote:Yep, I see those guys all the time diving...they are quite common
Where is Day Island Wall, and how do you get to it..? is it a shore dive or Boat..?
Gunnels are one of my favorite Puget Sound critters. I think they have an almost dog-like quality about their face, but then that's me! :rr:

Day Island is here in the South end, a FABULOUS dive site... either by shore or by boat. You should be able to google it no prob...

It is VERY current sensitive... you are basically in the Tacoma Narrows, and IMO need to dive this on a very minimal exchange with timed slack. It's not a good beginner dive site, and best explored with buddies who have been there before.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

nwscubamom wrote:
H20doctor wrote:These are from Edmonds U P..

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1380/145 ... 5b.jpg?v=0

...And what type of sponge is that orange stuff..?

Yikes!
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

nwscubamom wrote:

Do you have any info on this latest invader Janna? :book: I wasn't aware we had a new one to deal with.

-Valerie
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

There are two species we've been sort of keeping our eyes on - Botrylloides violaceous and it's similar looking cousin, Botryllus schlosseri. They often inhabit marinas and are found under docks. They're actually pretty common.

Although they are non-native, they are classified as non-nuisance species at this point. They haven't seemed to pose enough of a threat to native species. They're more of a ...keep an eye on them sort of deal.

I've started keeping track where I've seen them on my dives - places OUTSIDE marinas.

One gal from the University of Chicago is studying them extensively - Erin Grey. Here's her website on the subject:
http://home.uchicago.edu/~egrey/reporting_invasives.htm

FWIW, I submitted a report to WDFW about the Botrylloides you found at Edmonds UW park - with a link to your photo. Thanks H2ODoctor!

Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
H20doctor

Post by H20doctor »

Weel that evasive orange stuff, I took on some rocks at edmonds, But I cannot disclose the location cause it our little secret dive... But It does look like a sponge to me, or some type of encrusting algae... Too bad its Not a SPS coral , I could grow it in my saltwater Reef Tank in my living room.... As for Island Day Wall, I love Ripping Currant, Love it..Love it.. I have been some some nasty current and its always been fun..