Underwater photography School?

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Underwater photography School?

Post by Pez7378 »

I want to take a class. I want to take great pictures like everyone else around here. I want to know what you guys are talking about when you say White Balance, ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed, Macro. I want to be able to explain it to someone else.

Last spring I bought a Camera (Canon PowerShot A640) but to be honest with you......(And myself) I dont really know how to use it. It has so many options, and settings and I know I need more than just the camera and housing. I should add a tray and strobe(s?) And I need help. Seriously, sometimes I wish I had just went ahead and gotten the Casio too. But even then, I still dont know the basics.

So....Who wants to recommend an instructor who can teach me :book: how do take good pictures underwater in variable conditions?? It's okay to recommend yourself too! I just want someone who knows what they are talking about, and has the ability to help me get results.

Would a basic photography class help me? Maybe I should do that first before I focus on Underwater images. Advice....Please!
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Well, here's a plug for Amy's store, A-2-Z scuba. An instructor at her store, David, teaches PADI's Underwater Digital Photography course. He was an outstanding instructor for our Altitude Diver class. I highly recommend you take the photography class from him. =D>
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Might be a better idea to buddy up with a few folks who take underwater pictures you like and watch how they do it.

A huge part of taking good pictures revolves around having good buoyancy control ... that's where you start, even before worrying about the camera.

Then get some lessons on composition ... you can pick those up from books. I've got one or two I'd be happy to loan you (I can bring them with me tomorrow).

THEN start working the camera.

Classes will only get you so far ... especially "canned" classes like those offered as specialties by most dive agencies ... because they're often taught by people who aren't real proficient at what it is you're trying to learn.

If you can find an instructor who's also a photographer, you might learn something useful ... but they're rare. Mentors continue to be a great way to learn, because there's no time limit on the learning process.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

First -- take a class in digital photography from your local Community College; get familiar with YOUR camera and take lots of pictures -- lots of pictures of the same thing but changing something (aperture, shutter speed, ISO). After taking them, study them. What do you like? What don't you like? What is the difference between them?

Second -- go ahead and take an UW Photography class. I took one from Dennis Baum out of Bubbles and had a very good time. While the material (PADI) was pretty basic (shall we say, VERY basic) I've been shooting for 50 years and have taken several classes during that time.

BUT, what he did which was very beneficial, was set up a "reef" in the pool and then had me shoot a number of shots, changing settings like I describe above, and then review them. We also did a series of shots with a color table at different distances to see the effectiveness of my strobe AND how the various colors are absorbed.

The class was capped off with a photog dive with Dennis.

Definitely recommend it.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Thanks Seth, Bob and Peter! \:D/ I got two very nice books from Bob to look over. :book: Thanks Bob! Im going to read these books very carefully and try to apply some of the skills by diving and taking pics. I still may add some additional equip to my setup i.e. strobe. I appreciate the instructor recommendations! Keep em coming. If I choose to take a class from one of our local U/W photography experts, I want to make an informed decision on who to give my money to. I like Peters example of how he learned to shoot in the pool and how he tested the capability of his strobe. Even if I decide not to take a class, this information may help someone else so please let's hear those recommendations........
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Pez7378 wrote: I got two very nice books from Bob to look over.
Good thread. So... how about the titles of those two books? :bounce:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Tom Nic wrote: [Good thread. So... how about the titles of those two books? :bounce:
Yes, do share. :book:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Not Bob but here are two good books on the subject:

"An Essential Guide to Digital Underwater Photography" -- Michael Aw (2nd Ed)

"Master Guide for Underwater Digital Photography" -- Jack and Sue Drafahl
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Sweet! I'll have to check those out. Thanks! :partyman:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Peter Guy wrote:Not Bob but here are two good books on the subject:

"An Essential Guide to Digital Underwater Photography" -- Michael Aw (2nd Ed)

"Master Guide for Underwater Digital Photography" -- Jack and Sue Drafahl
Thanks Peter! Off I go to Amazon to check things out! \:D/ :book:
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I've given up on photography and just enjoy what friend's take. I fear a class would be wasting my money. Being much better at FINDING subjects than actually photographing them, it's the best move for me.

Good luck Pez!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder wrote:I've given up on photography and just enjoy what friend's take. I fear a class would be wasting my money. Being much better at FINDING subjects than actually photographing them, it's the best move for me.

Good luck Pez!
SOOO...... How about some critter-spotting my long lost friend?!? Or have you forgotten what a Grunt Sculpin looks like?!?! Huh?!? :smt064
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Tom Nic wrote:
Sounder wrote:I've given up on photography and just enjoy what friend's take. I fear a class would be wasting my money. Being much better at FINDING subjects than actually photographing them, it's the best move for me.

Good luck Pez!
SOOO...... How about some critter-spotting my long lost friend?!? Or have you forgotten what a Grunt Sculpin looks like?!?! Huh?!? :smt064
Sadly, I might need a refresher. I might also need a NWDC refresher too - I can't even read and participate as much as I'd like to.

Over 200 dives since June 2006 and it's all coming to a screeching hault, but only for a brief time. \:D/ Diving has sadly taken to a back burner for a few weeks (could be up to 2 months! :pale: ) though I won't be completely dry - I just couldn't do that to my gear [-X . I'm looking at it as a period of offgassing scuba-sobriety before I relapse.

School is a pain :-({|= , work sucks (but there are good things on the horizon!) :dontknow: , Erica and I are exchanging weeks and weekends out-of-town (I may be turning into Mr. Angry soon! :angryfire: ), oh yeah - and we're closing on a house on the 25th \:D/ :bounce: ... which means we get to move. ](*,) #-o

I'm getting a dive in here and there, but aaaah... the good old days. I anxiously await their return.

Sorry for the self-pity hijack. It was Tom's fault! :bootyshake:

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming... :smt024
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Miss you man! :-({|=
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Seth T. wrote:
Tom Nic wrote: [Good thread. So... how about the titles of those two books? :bounce:
Yes, do share. :book:
"Jim Church's Essential guide to Composition" published by Aqua Quest

and as Peter already mentioned:

"Master guide for Underwater Digital Photography" written by Jack and Sue Drafahl published by Amherst Media
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Sounder wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:

Good luck Pez!
Sadly, I might need a refresher. I might also need a NWDC refresher too - I can't even read and participate as much as I'd like to.

Over 200 dives since June 2006 and it's all coming to a screeching hault, but only for a brief time. \:D/ Diving has sadly taken to a back burner for a few weeks (could be up to 2 months! :pale: ) though I won't be completely dry - I just couldn't do that to my gear [-X . I'm looking at it as a period of offgassing scuba-sobriety before I relapse.

School is a pain :-({|= , work sucks (but there are good things on the horizon!) :dontknow: , Erica and I are exchanging weeks and weekends out-of-town (I may be turning into Mr. Angry soon! :angryfire: ), oh yeah - and we're closing on a house on the 25th \:D/ :bounce: ... which means we get to move. ](*,) #-o

I'm getting a dive in here and there, but aaaah... the good old days. I anxiously await their return.

Sorry for the self-pity hijack. It was Tom's fault! :bootyshake:

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming... :smt024
Dude, you're bringing me down......... :-({|= Haha No really Doug it's okay. From now on I will dedicate what few halfway decent pictures I take to SOUNDER! Who is working his :bootyshake: Off for the good of the people. :salute: Congratulations on the new house, and we're all looking forward to seeing you "relapse"!!! :partyman: Heck, the first bottle of "GAS" is on me! Dan, Matt!!!! Line 'em up!!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yeah - I don't even need someone to buy me the first round! I've got 11 full cold ones (6 "40's" and 2 "longnecks") at NWSD waiting to be picked up! I just need to find the time to get up there!!! :dontknow:
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

What Peter said. Take an ABOVE water photography course first.