Digital Shootout 2008

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Digital Shootout 2008

Post by scottsax »

The Digital Shootout 2008

Just got my reservation! Need to start sending $$$ in January. My buddy won 3rd place in the wide angle (unrestricted) contest last year, so he's going back this year to try to do better, and he's dragging a few of his knuckleheaded friends with him. Right. "I don't wanna go to Bonaire, but Andy's making me!"

Anybody here going? Anybody here interested in going?

Does this need to be in Dive Plans and Trip Reports?
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

I'd love to go, but I think I need an UW camera first! #-o
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Surely someone as prolific as this should invest in a housing! \:D/

All I have is a Canon A610. I'm gonna buy the housing for it, and play around here with it before I go. The organizer said point and shoot's are just fine, and that lots of folks will be using them. They'll also have demo DSLRs we can try out when we're there....

Figure if I'm gonna learn about UW photography, why not make it an intensive, week-long party in the Caribbean?
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

scottsax wrote:Surely someone as prolific as this should invest in a housing! \:D/
Very true! :laughing3:

Here's the deal though. Being a pro photographer on land has cursed me because I continually strive for that ONE shot. If I take a camera underwater, I'll never enjoy diving because I'm trying to get that shot. See, it's a curse. :crybaby:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

I understand that. Being a professional musician makes going to see live music difficult at times, since I'm critiquing and analyzing the whole time.

Oooh! Maybe you should shoot VIDEO! (How many scuba units is that?)

\:D/

Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

scottsax wrote: Oooh! Maybe you should shoot VIDEO! (How many scuba units is that?)

\:D/
Oh crap, my wife would kill me! :violent3:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Seth T. wrote:Oh crap, my wife would kill me! :violent3:
That's why I'm trying to indulge myself as much as possible now with trips, gear, etc., because all that will need to be scaled back when I meet somebody....

scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

scottsax wrote:
Seth T. wrote:Oh crap, my wife would kill me! :violent3:
That's why I'm trying to indulge myself as much as possible now with trips, gear, etc., because all that will need to be scaled back when I meet somebody....
Unless she's as much of a travel/dive/gear nut as I am....

:prayer:

Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

scottsax wrote: Unless she's as much of a travel/dive/gear nut as I am....

Yeah, that helps. Of course then you'd both be perpetually broke! #-o
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Seth T. wrote:
scottsax wrote: Unless she's as much of a travel/dive/gear nut as I am....

Yeah, that helps. Of course then you'd both be perpetually broke! #-o
Broke and happy works for me!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Ask anybody who's been diving with me lately how much I've been whining about a trip to Bonaire or Curacao to dive my brains out. Still looking for the right combination of a sweet deal and a great buddy or 3 to make it work. I've got air miles to burn, so figure that for somewhere in the 6 to 8 scuba unit range should be able to get a nice deal with vehicle, all you can eat trox, breakfast and a place to hang my hat during a surface interval...

Enjoy yourself! Sounds like fun!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

scottsax wrote:All I have is a Canon A610. I'm gonna buy the housing for it, and play around here with it before I go.
i have the same camera and the housing for it. you're welcome to try it out the next time i come up, which i'm hoping will be december 9th, location TBD but probably south sound area.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Tom Nic wrote:Ask anybody who's been diving with me lately how much I've been whining about a trip to Bonaire or Curacao to dive my brains out. Still looking for the right combination of a sweet deal and a great buddy or 3 to make it work.
i would love to go to either place, tom. did you have a rough idea of when you'd want to go?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

spatman wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:Ask anybody who's been diving with me lately how much I've been whining about a trip to Bonaire or Curacao to dive my brains out. Still looking for the right combination of a sweet deal and a great buddy or 3 to make it work.
i would love to go to either place, tom. did you have a rough idea of when you'd want to go?
GREAT QUESTION!!! Let's talk...
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Tom Nic wrote:Ask anybody who's been diving with me lately how much I've been whining about a trip to Bonaire or Curacao to dive my brains out. Still looking for the right combination of a sweet deal and a great buddy or 3 to make it work. I've got air miles to burn, so figure that for somewhere in the 6 to 8 scuba unit range should be able to get a nice deal with vehicle, all you can eat trox, breakfast and a place to hang my hat during a surface interval...

Check out the Golden Reef Inn on Bonaire. I am heading there in Feb for 10 days. I got a good deal on a Dive, Drive, and Stay package. It is not on the water but has a good reputation for catering to divers, being clean and comfy. You get a Toyota 4 door truck and unlimited air tanks. Nitrox is $40 unlimited for your stay. I cant wait!

http://www.goldenreefinn.com/index.html
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. I hadn't considered staying someplace that wasn't on the water. I was figuring that a place with a great house reef would be a real advantage. However.... for those of us too broke or cheap to shell out big... if the savings were enough it could really be something to consider. Love that shore diving!
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

i'd love to go, but i cann't for 2 reasons,
1 = i need to get my passport renewed
2 = i don't the green backs for both.
ok maybe 3 the bridal unit might say different :crybaby:
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Ken G wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:Ask anybody who's been diving with me lately how much I've been whining about a trip to Bonaire or Curacao to dive my brains out. Still looking for the right combination of a sweet deal and a great buddy or 3 to make it work. I've got air miles to burn, so figure that for somewhere in the 6 to 8 scuba unit range should be able to get a nice deal with vehicle, all you can eat trox, breakfast and a place to hang my hat during a surface interval...

Check out the Golden Reef Inn on Bonaire. I am heading there in Feb for 10 days. I got a good deal on a Dive, Drive, and Stay package. It is not on the water but has a good reputation for catering to divers, being clean and comfy. You get a Toyota 4 door truck and unlimited air tanks. Nitrox is $40 unlimited for your stay. I cant wait!

http://www.goldenreefinn.com/index.html
That's a sweet deal! I've been to Bonaire three times ... 2004, 2005, and 2006 ... and would go back in a heartbeat. It's the best Caribbean diving I've done ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)