help w/settings New Fantasea for Cannon Revbel XT

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
overandunderwater
Frequent Bubbler

help w/settings New Fantasea for Cannon Revbel XT

Post by overandunderwater »

My flash casing is due any day so I was wondering if anyone could help give me some good start off camera settings.

Cannon Rebel XT
Slave flash
Main flash
macro lens

I've only used little point and clicks, so if anybody could give me pointers I'd appreciate it.
1.Should a use a diffuser, if so on one or both?
2. auto or macro camera setting?
3.white balance?

See, talk to me like I'm a newbie to this, I am.

In advance thank you for the help.

Randy
Scott G
Aquaphile

Re: help w/settings New Fantasea for Cannon Revbel XT

Post by Scott G »

overandunderwater wrote:My flash casing is due any day so I was wondering if anyone could help give me some good start off camera settings.

Cannon Rebel XT
Slave flash
Main flash
macro lens

I've only used little point and clicks, so if anybody could give me pointers I'd appreciate it.
1.Should a use a diffuser, if so on one or both?
2. auto or macro camera setting?
3.white balance?

See, talk to me like I'm a newbie to this, I am.

In advance thank you for the help.

Randy
Randy,

use the diffuser on any flash you use. If the "main flash" refers to the pop up one on top of the camera, don't use it, its too close to the lens for macro stuff and will just confuse your lighting otherwise.

White balance is good to do @ depth, but depend on RAW and work on post process where you can adjust.

Don't use auto, cameras never seem to understand the idea that they are underwater... shoot in manual, shutter priority or aperture priority.

If you're shooting macro's use a f stop of 5.6 at least... the smaller (higher number) aperture you use the more area will be in focus, but the longer shutter speed you will have to use.

If the strobe requires light from the main flash to trigger (normal) you will definitely have to be on manual... The camera doesn't know all that extra light is about to fire. Block the main flash as much as you can out of the photo and towards the slave sensor (if you have an Ikelite housing use the blocker- if not use duct tape)... set the strobe on the lowest output and try some macro's @ 1/125 shutter speed, 5.6 aperture, 100 ISO... increase the shutter speed or aperture if overexposed, increase flash output if underexposed.

Scott
overandunderwater
Frequent Bubbler

Re: help w/settings New Fantasea for Cannon Revbel XT

Post by overandunderwater »

that's exactly what I needed, when I make a fortune with that million dollar shot I'm buying you dinner.
Thank you!