Camera opinions wanted!

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Camera opinions wanted!

Post by DiverBob »

I am looking for a new digital camera that will work well both in and out of the water. I have always been a Canon fan but will consider all. The current short list is the SD870 IS, the SD950 IS and the A720 IS. I have owned 2 PowerShots in the past. The last one was the A540 with mixed results (never underwater). The most annoying is the charge time after flash use with just 2 AA batteries. The A720 will have the same results as it is just 2 AA as well. The 870 has a 28 mil wide angle lens which I think would be great underwater. The 950 looks like a great camera, but is 12 MP really necessary? Any advice would greatly appreciated! Thanks, Bob.
Life is good, let's dive!!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Camera opinions wanted!

Post by cardiver »

Check out the Casio line. There are a lot of people on this board who have had amazing results. I went from a Casio to the Canon G9 and then back to a Casio EX-Z1200.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Ron,

Can you give me more info about your experiences with the Canon G9? It gets excellent ratings and I'm thinking of putting it in an Ikelite housing and getting an external TTL strobe for it. Did you just use it without an external strobe?

What did you not like about it?

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I used it in the Canon housing with the internal strobe. I was really used to the size of the Casio and liked it's p&s simplicity. If my budget would have allowed, I would have kept the G9 as a land camera and will probably pick one up second hand in the near future.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

nwscubamom wrote:Ron,

Can you give me more info about your experiences with the Canon G9? It gets excellent ratings and I'm thinking of putting it in an Ikelite housing and getting an external TTL strobe for it. Did you just use it without an external strobe?

What did you not like about it?

Janna, I can tell you a couple things about the G9. First its a great camera with loads of awesome features, 2 the ikelite housing for it is huge! Unreasonably so. I am currently using the A640 in an ikelite housing and love the rig but a friend bought the G9 and ikelite housing and it's so much bigger than the A640 case they had to supply it with a tray and handle so you could hang-on to it. The A650 is a very similar camera with the same specs except the hot shoe and a couple of other things like RAW format and a 6X zoom but is a $100 bucks cheaper. Having said that, ikelite uses virtually the same case for it also without the hot shoe so no break there.

The A650 uses 4 AA bateries, The G9 uses a canon propritary rechargable bat.

I have had the opertunity to do a few dives with the A650 in the canon case and it seems to be a sound setup.

You guys might want to read thru this thread as it is a similar discussion
http://www.northwestdiver.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=20634
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

One thing I like about the Casio over the Canon is the shorter "snout." With the Canon, if I don't have an external flash and take a super-macro shot, like within 3" or less of the subject, I get a shadow in the lower right corner. I don't get that with the Casio. My wife just lost her Casio in an incident a few days ago (things could have been a lot worse) and after some research, I went ahead and ordered her another one instead of a Canon. Sorry, Dusty, I think I'm heading over to the Dark Side :evil4: I'm using our Canon right now, but in the foreseeable future I'm probably gonna switch, too.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I forgot to mention that and it was one of my biggest problems, also. :toimonster:
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Great info, all of you!

I've been using a film camera, and also a small Canon powershot in a Canon housing (but no problems with the shadowing that you guys are talking about ) but want to upgrade to using an external strobe and TTL. The Canon G9 is capable of TTL with the hotshoe, and so I'm looking at an Ikelite housing and some kind of Ikelite strobe.

I did look into housing my Nikon D40, but that looks WAAAAY too big and bulky and it would be hideously expensive, whereas this setup I'm thinking of now with the G9 will only be disgustingly expensive. :)

- Janna
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

nwscubamom wrote:Great info, all of you!

I've been using a film camera, and also a small Canon powershot in a Canon housing (but no problems with the shadowing that you guys are talking about ) but want to upgrade to using an external strobe and TTL. The Canon G9 is capable of TTL with the hotshoe, and so I'm looking at an Ikelite housing and some kind of Ikelite strobe.

I did look into housing my Nikon D40, but that looks WAAAAY too big and bulky and it would be hideously expensive, whereas this setup I'm thinking of now with the G9 will only be disgustingly expensive. :)

- Janna
Hmmm let me see--- Camera best price $400, Case best price $570, ikelite strobe package $500. Oh and don't forget shipping. Yep. disgustingly expensive. #-o The housing is 6" x 6" x 10" and weighs 6lb without the camera and strobe so it ain't exact ally what I'd call compact but it is a little less complicated than an SLR and way cheaper.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I was told by many to get the full size and hefty DS125 as the strobe, but it does seem WAY too unwieldy, so now I'm looking at the smaller brother, the DS51. I know Jan had some problems with either this strobe or the DS50 with it flooding, but wonder if anyone else has the DS51 or DS125 and can shed any insight on these strobes?

You have to understand that I'm going from a VERY compact current setup to this newer camera, and am not wild about a HUGE setup, although I know it's definitely going to be way bigger than what I'm currently using.

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

If you go with a Canon a big thing to take into account is that some models cannot disable the "wake from sleep" feature associated with the motion/orientation detector. This means that your battery life is significantly decreased as a result. You can disable auto-rotate, but the motion/orientation sensor still wakes the camera from sleep. This only happens with some Canon models, but it's something to consider if you don't like the prospect of turning on and off the camera during the dive or swapping out the battery between dives.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

tangfish wrote:If you go with a Canon a big thing to take into account is that some models cannot disable the "wake from sleep" feature associated with the motion/orientation detector. This means that your battery life is significantly decreased as a result. You can disable auto-rotate, but the motion/orientation sensor still wakes the camera from sleep. This only happens with some Canon models, but it's something to consider if you don't like the prospect of turning on and off the camera during the dive or swapping out the battery between dives.
This does apply to the G9 IS and the A650 IS. I have noticed with the A650 that it has shorter battery life than the A640 which is not an IS camera. However I would make it a plan NEVER do a second dive without changing batteries in any camera. It's just not worth the risk of the cam sutting down during your dive and in addition the lower the battery the longer the recharge time between shots.
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

Figured it was time to hop on board this thread. I am also looking at getting an underwater camera rig. Does anyone have a G9 in the ikelite case that I could just hold, and see how big it really is? Also, one thing leaning me toward the G9 over the A650 is the eTTL ability. Then the onboard flash never has to fire. Saving battery etc. It just seems nicer to have the cable directly communicating...thoughts?

Or, I just might throw my 3 or 4 year old A510 in it's cheap case and call it good for a while. Thing is, I wouldn't mind having a sweet P&S for topside too.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Boy, I've done a ton of research today and yesterday and shopped online and this is what I've come up with so far:

Canon G9 camera: $457.30 incl. shipping from newegg.com (I've done lots of business w/ them before and they're good)
Ikelite housing #6147.09: $583.55 B&H Photo inc. shipping
Ikelite DS-125 strobe package #3944.75 (TTL sync cord, DS-125 strobe, ball/socket arm system, smart charger) $1044.95 Leisure pro, free shipping
OR
Ikelite DS-51 strobe package #3944.51 (TTL sync cord, DS-125 strobe, ball/socket arm system, smart charger) $569.95 Leisure pro, free shipping.
Sandisk 2GB Extreme III SD card: $26.49 newegg.com

So, when all the damage is done, you're looking at either $2112.29 for the DS-125 package, or $1637.29 for the DS-51 package.

That's a LOT more $$ than I've ever spent on an underwater camera!!!

And see that the DS-125 is almost twice as expensive as the DS-51! But I keep reading and hearing firsthand reports about the DS-51's poor battery compartment design that floods very frequently. Jan can tell us about that one, eh Jan?

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

I had DS-50, which I liked until it flooded. I was following the manual which warned against using any tools to tighten the knob on the flat battery door. After two trips to Ikelite, other users sugested using a coin to tighten the knob. It worked for while, but after third flood, I updated to DS -125. No more floods. Ikelite repaired the strobe every time free of charge, but I lost lot of dive days waiting for repairs, and it still cost some to ship it and get new set of rechargeable batteries. There are many divers with no problem with the DS-50, but I was not the only one with flood problems. Personally, I was not impressed with the flat door, knob in the center design. I don't know if the new DS-51 has problems... The DS-125 is heavy and bulky indeed. And expensive :( Good luck guys...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I was reading on wetpixel.com and yes, most definitely there have been even more flooding problems with the DS-51. Some, of course, never have it flood, while others do. Some tighten by hand, some tighten with a coin...no matter what, it floods.

I can't believe they're still selling this model if it floods so much! Maybe we just don't hear about all the happy people who never have a flood with theirs.

The smaller size sure appeals to me though.

What about a focusing light? The DS-125 has one built in I guess. So Jan, what did you do for the DS-50 when you had it?

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Janna and others it seems. You might want to check out this comparison guide to TTL underwater strobes

http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

Janna

My buddy has the DS-51 and it has never flooded. He probably only has 20-30 dives with it, but no problems yet. Also, might be worth checking backscatter, they have a G9 ikelite package that you can add or change strobes, or the camera from.

mmmm, so tempting to just fill out my info and click submit order.

Jacob
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

The best prices and service that I've found for camera's is Helix in Chicago.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

There are several good mail order camera places out there and quite a few I wouldn't buy from if I was using someone else's money! B&H, Adorama, and Beach Camera as well as Helix are all safe bets. I have not only bought from all of them but also found their customer service to be quite good and never had a waranty issue. New egg is always dependable for my computer parts and memory so I would assume they would be for cameras.

Leisure pro is not a place I would buy a strobe, camera or anything else that I expected might need warranty service as they are defiantly grey market and most of the stuff they sell is not covered under Mfg. Warranties. So buyer beware.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Dusty2 wrote:There are several good mail order camera places out there and quite a few I wouldn't buy from if I was using someone else's money! B&H, Adorama, and Beach Camera as well as Helix are all safe bets. I have not only bought from all of them but also found their customer service to be quite good and never had a waranty issue. New egg is always dependable for my computer parts and memory so I would assume they would be for cameras.

Leisure pro is not a place I would buy a strobe, camera or anything else that I expected might need warranty service as they are defiantly grey market and most of the stuff they sell is not covered under Mfg. Warranties. So buyer beware.

I checked out B&H photo, as well as a few other places for these items, and I've always had good luck with BH in the past on many purchases. Same with newegg.com for cameras...always good service. And, believe it or not, I've had excellent service from Leisurepro in the past, and on their website, it shows that the Ikelite stuff is covered under Ikelite's warranty. So I have no problem purchasing from LP whatsoever.

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I've purchased a lot of things from LP and never had a problem with anything. Returns are easy and I never get any drama from them at all.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

OK, You might also consider these guys, They are a very knowledgeable dedicated full service underwater camera store and have the setup you are talking about for pretty much the same price set up as a package deal. They are in Montery where you dive allot. \:D/ so service and face to face answers would be close at hand. All from one authorized retail dealer so no problems or questions.

http://www.backscatter.com/HostedStore. ... escending&
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Representin' for the Casio line... here's an answer that I also posted on another thread. (you did want opinions!)

I use a 10 MP Casio Exilim 1050 as do many others on this board. The EX-Z1000, 1050, and the 1080 all use the same housing (EWC-80) and are essentially the same camera, with just a few minor differences. You can get into camera and housing for around $400... pretty amazing deal if you ask me. Many people on the board use this camera with great success. Our own Calvin Tang (founder of NWDC) is one of the folks who started the craze, largely with his review here

Casio has since come out with a 12 mp model with new housing. CarDiver on this board is the only one I know who uses one. I've beat my poor camera so bad it is literally held together with duct tape but it still takes great pictures. I am notoriously hard on my stuff, even when I'm careful.

Since most of the shots I take are 2-3' or less the onboard flash works fine. I really recommend the higher MP so you can crop pics as needed, though I find myself cropping less and less as my positioning and composition improve.

I have an external strobe but do not use it yet. I plan to work with it this summer and then in Bonaire in September for the Coral spawn. As I use it more I will post with my experience and looking for opinions.

There are certainly alot more expensive setups out there, but for the diver who just wants to take a few shots here and there as he dives, and still have a chance at getting a really good photo, the Casio really fits the bill. And of course there are other options as well... so much depends on the kind of diving you do, the kind of photography you do, and what you hope to do with your pictures.

Good luck and good shooting!

-Tom Nic
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Ikelite has an excellent service record. OK, it had, when I dealt with them in the past. I bought my Ikelite gear through Whidbey Island Dive Center and afterwards dealt with Ikelite directly. No problems. But as I said before, the battery door is not a good design. Especially when compared with the Ikelite's DS-125 or the Inon. Just my opinion.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown