New to UW photography

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
ifixedit
Frequent Bubbler

New to UW photography

Post by ifixedit »

I've just bought a new camera for snapping pics. Can anyone suggest a basic starter/guide book to UW photog? :book:
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: New to UW photography

Post by cardiver »

WHat camera set up did you get?
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

ifixedit wrote:I've just bought a new camera for snapping pics. Can anyone suggest a basic starter/guide book to UW photog? :book:
There are several suggestions here in this thread
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

"The Underwater Photographer" by Martin Edge is also a good read with some great photos.
Like Bob mentioned in past post, if you have a basic knowledge of photography it's best to go out and dive with photog's who's pictures you enjoy.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Tell us what you bought. If it is a canon I can give you lots of info
ifixedit
Frequent Bubbler

Post by ifixedit »

I purchased a SeaLife DC800 with external flash. Don't know a thing about UW photography, Yet. Card points are a like cash and I couldn't find tanks through AMEX. :dontknow: [img]
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

For a newbe it should work OK and if you got a really good price on it then what the heck. Enjoy, there are allot of really dedicated photogs here but I don't think any of us are using that rig.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

Dusty2 wrote:Tell us what you bought. If it is a canon I can give you lots of info

i have a sd750 and i would love some info.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

I have a DC800 camera with dual flast units. It's a pretty good point-n-shoot camera. You'll find in these waters you will mostly be shooting close up.

So:
set the camera to ext. flash auto mode, set the focus to macro focus setting, set the flash to macro flash setting, set the dial on the flash unit to auto and start snapping pictures. Get close to your subject to minimize the particulate matter in the water obscurring the critter.

Additionally, you should use a flashlight so the camera can auto-focus. I have 2 C-8 UK flashlights mounted to a bracket for the purpose of helping the camera to auto-focus AND for shooting video.

PM me if you have any questions and would be more then happy to answer.
ifixedit
Frequent Bubbler

Post by ifixedit »

Olyvtx, Thanks a lot for the guidelines.I'll be diving Titlow this weekend and I'll give those hints a try. I used an Olympus in u/w housing and could never figure out why one pic would work and the next not. Auto focus, no light on subject. thanks again.
jerry
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

olyvtx wrote: Additionally, you should use a flashlight so the camera can auto-focus. I have 2 C-8 UK flashlights mounted to a bracket for the purpose of helping the camera to auto-focus AND for shooting video.
This hold true for all underwater rigs. It is the most common cause of improperly focused photos