pics from Bonaire

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

pics from Bonaire

Post by Grateful Diver »

Last week I took a half-day photo class, then worked on getting to know my new G10 camera. Unfortunately, during the class I discovered that my brand new Sea & Sea YS-110a strobe wasn't working properly ... it would fire maybe one in every four or five times I attempted using it. Fortunately, the instructor was adept at showing me how to get reasonably good pictures with just the little YS-25 I had been using for a slave.

Since Comcast has apparently decided to stop the photo show service, I'll post a sequence of pictures in this thread ... of the hundreds I took, I've got it down to about 25 that I liked best.

One of my goals in getting the new setup was to start working more with wide-angle and portrait shots, so I'll start with those. I'll post just a few at a time, then follow it up with a "reply" posting a few more. I'll work my way down from wide-angle to portrait to macro.

I'm liking this setup, although I have much yet to learn. Hopefully once I get the second strobe fixed, I can start learning how to use the lighting to a better advantage.

With that said ... some wide-angle shots ...

Cheng on the Hilma Hooker ...

... and another shot along the side of the Hooker ...

a smaller wreck called "La Machaca" ...

The pier at Buddy Dive ...

... and Cheng, doing what Cheng loves to do ...

Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: pics from Bonaire

Post by Grateful Diver »

Here's some "Chengfish" shots ... I think I took more pictures of Cheng on this trip than I have in the past few years I've been taking pictures ... trying for different angles, lighting, and foreground/background ideas ...

Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Some of my favorite "scene" shots ...

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Individual fish pics ...

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Octo shots ...

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

... and finally, the small stuff ...

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

As I sit here on Sunday morning attempting to photoshop out all of the nasty little dust spots from my pictures of local nudibarnchs, just so you can see what I was trying to photograph, all I can say to your pictures Bob is :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Those are awesome. Glad you had a good trip.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Bob, superb photos, it looks like the camera to have, I love the wide angle stuff especially. Looking forward to see more. :supz:
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Awesome stuff Bob! looks like the G10 is just the thing. All the way from wide angle to macro it seems to cover them all. Of course it help to have the right person pushing the shutter button. The only problem with all these shots at once is I can't send ooooo's and ah's of individual ones I really like. Just too many good ones to keep track. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I really like that eel shot and the smiling parrot below it and all the macro's are awesome. I especially like the seahorse shot, great background to really highlight the subject!
Last edited by Dusty2 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

They should only get better once I get this "white balance" thing figured out.

This was my first venture into using a camera completely in manual mode ... and learning how to change aperture settings, etc. while a subject is on the move is a real challenge (and you can see I didn't get it right a lot). But it is a big improvement over letting the camera make all the decisions.

I feel like I'm starting to learn how to actually be a photographer, rather than just a diver who takes pictures ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Nice shots Bob, I don't know if you are asking for critique or not but just a couple points - many of them look under exposed or dark were you shooting in .jpg or RAW? If you shot in RAW you might be able to bump up the exposure and make them even better.

The other thing would be to move your subject out of the center point of the frame. Think if the frame as a tic-tac-toe board and put your subject on one of those lines. For instance - I think the most eye catching shot here is the turtle with the diver. I don't particularly care for having the diver in the shot but the position of the turtle catches the eye.

Thanks for sharing!
Dave Mitchell
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Dmitchell wrote:Nice shots Bob, I don't know if you are asking for critique or not but just a couple points - many of them look under exposed or dark were you shooting in .jpg or RAW? If you shot in RAW you might be able to bump up the exposure and make them even better.

The other thing would be to move your subject out of the center point of the frame. Think if the frame as a tic-tac-toe board and put your subject on one of those lines. For instance - I think the most eye catching shot here is the turtle with the diver. I don't particularly care for having the diver in the shot but the position of the turtle catches the eye.

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Dave ... I am ALWAYS looking for critique. I'm shooting JPG ... right now I have other new things to figure out. So I figured I'd stick with a familiar format for a while. But the camera does have RAW capability, and I intend to learn how to use it.

The lighting is a big thing ... and since one of my strobes crapped out on me (and the bigger one at that), I did feel like I was reducing the available light by quite a lot. Kicking up the power on the strobe only seemed to produce hot spots.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

wow, bob, you are off to a great start with that G10! :notworthy:

keep 'em coming.
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

Great pictures and looks like great diving too!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Great pictures, Bob. Hope you had a really good time down there. Thanks for sharing.
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Great pics! I'm going there at the end of the month--- how was the viz? I heard that the island was brushed by a hurricane this past fall and the viz suffered a bit. But your photos look fantastic! :hello2:
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Grateful Diver wrote:Individual fish pics ...

Is this fish enclosed in something?
Who run barter town?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Yes the parrot fish make a protective bubble of, for lack of a better word, slime to sleep in.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Wow thats cool, I was hopeing i wasnt seeing things. They are great pics, I espescially like the turtle ones.
Who run barter town?
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Great Pic's but where are all the Greatful Diver photos?
No Bob pics?
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

I love this picture Bob! I love smiling sealife. It's very cute! Thanks for sharing Bob!
Grateful Diver wrote: Image