Anyone got a Canon 990 ????

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
divergirl07
Avid Diver

Anyone got a Canon 990 ????

Post by divergirl07 »

I got one a couple weeks ago & it is a bit more complicated than my Casio. ](*,) If you accidentally bump it & it changes settings -it is very hard to go back to where you were ... Any advice is welcome.....
"Life is short.......... I want it all ...NOW!!"
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Anyone got a Canon 990 ????

Post by cardiver »

divergirl07 wrote:I got one a couple weeks ago & it is a bit more complicated than my Casio. ](*,) If you accidentally bump it & it changes settings -it is very hard to go back to where you were ... Any advice is welcome.....
Stick with the Casio....... :bootyshake:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
divergirl07
Avid Diver

Post by divergirl07 »

That is not the answer I was hoping for $500 later ..... :crybaby:
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

divergirl07 wrote:That is not the answer I was hoping for $500 later ..... :crybaby:
Just curious..... Why did you decide to switch camera's?
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
divergirl07
Avid Diver

Post by divergirl07 »

Wellllll,
I got Marty a new Casio for Xmas. 1st time in the water ......... the housing flooded. So we sent the housing back & until last week we were still waiting!! I guess that housing has been having a lot of problems & they were working on it so the housings were backordered. I got to thinking - "what if , they send a new housing & it floods too" ,, so I decided that I would just go to costco , get whatever camera that had a housing (that I could ask for an exchange on the other one for) . My friend has the camera so I figured it would be fine. But I really loved my casio , it was so fast compared to the Canon...
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Which Casio flooded? I have the EX-1200 and I've never had a drop of water in the housing.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
divergirl07
Avid Diver

Post by divergirl07 »

It was a newer one I think s-10..
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

That;s too bad. If you go on line and look for "square trade" warranties you can get a great extended warranty and flood insurance for a very good price.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I think my buddy Tim purchased a Casio S-10. It is a 10mp, but a thinner model. He has the camera and case, brand new around $400. Still the best deal around for a point and shoot with an underwater case, IMO.

Thanks for the story - we will be extra careful testing it out in Bonaire this week. And we'll let you know how it works.

No matter how great a housing you have all it takes is a little something in or over the O-ring and it will leak.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
divergirl07
Avid Diver

Post by divergirl07 »

Well , I have heard some rumors that that particular housing has had SO MANY problems flooding that they stoppped selling them & are reworking them... And with Martys case , we took it down again on the next dive & figured out it was coming in one of the buttons on the backside.. Maybe you'll be luckier..... I also have a Casio z1000 and dove it for about 80 dives & it has been AWSOME!! Took pretty good pictures & is fast ... Im just hoping to find somone who has used this 990 & can help me get it all figured out...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I don't have that model but if you go to http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_rev ... sd990.html He has a pretty extensive wright up on it.
divergirl07
Avid Diver

Post by divergirl07 »

Thanks Dusty ... Sure you just dont want to trade cameras with me ? Ha hahahah
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

divergirl07 wrote:I got one a couple weeks ago & it is a bit more complicated than my Casio. ](*,) If you accidentally bump it & it changes settings -it is very hard to go back to where you were ... Any advice is welcome.....
All Canon Point and Shoots are great--- the 990 is a bit feature rich, too many megapixels and too many functions, but with a bit of practice you ought to get some good photos. Hang in there!
Dan Hershman :smt024