Maui in April

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Scuba Skaughtie
Frequent Bubbler

Maui in April

Post by Scuba Skaughtie »

Ok. So we've booked the condo, we've booked the flight...

We're going to Maui! Staying in Kihei... Now what. This is my first trip to warm water and my first trip anywhere as a diver.

Any recommendations? Tips? Top dive spots?
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Re: Maui in April

Post by oldsalt »

I'm no expert, but I have traveled to Maui twice and really enjoyed myself both times. There is a dive shop every 15ft. I have dived with four of them and had a good experience each time. B&B Diving in Kihei took us out to the Helldiver, a WWII plane wreck which we really enjoyed. All of the charters take you to Molikini Crater, a signature dive. The back side of Molikini was wonderful, but the operators required quite a bit of experience. If you can get up to Lahaina, Lahaina divers makes trips to Lanai which I thought was well worth it, especially the Cathedrals. You can also find dive guides that will lead you on shore dives. I recommend 5 Caves/5 Graves. We are expending our travel money to go to the east coast this year. I envy you.
- Curt
Happy to be alive.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

posted on Maui diving a while ago here:

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... 38#p164775

real good diving towards Kihei.. some of the best shore diving is out that way.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I've made a lot of trips to Maui, since my in-laws live in Kihei. I agree with Koos that you can do a great trip just shore diving, IF you are confident about diving unknown sites, and willing to play a little bit with the surf.

For boats, if you are beginners and haven't boat dived before, I'd recommend B&B Scuba. They are very nice people, and they do an extremely good job with beginners. If you have a lot of dives under your belt, and particularly if your interest is in the unique life of the islands, I'd recommend Mike Severns. The boat attracts a more experienced clientele for the most part, and the woman who owns the operation is a marine biologist. They have ID books on board, and they try to tailor the dives to take you to see things which are really special.

If you are unsure about shore diving alone, Shaka Doug gets very good reviews, as long as you don't rent gear from him. The book Koos recommends is REALLY useful and detailed. My favorite shore dives are the Mala Wharf dive (although the legal entry is a PITA), and Ulua and Polo Beaches in Wailea.

Shore diving in Maui, you are required to have a dive flag. You don't have to tow it the whole time -- you can take it out and tie it off, and pick it up on the way in. But people have been ticketed for not having one, when the police have nothing else to do.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Scuba Skaughtie
Frequent Bubbler

Thanks for the advice.

B&B has been recommended a few times and they are pretty close to our condo so I'll definitely talk to them. Sounds like their boat does one dive out at Molokini and then another at South Maui. We're new divers so it is important to work with a dive operation we can trust.

I don't mind diving new sites as long as we've done our research and know the potential dangers. I'll be researching as many sites close to Kihei as I can and coupling that with recommendations and advice from all of you and a briefing from B&B on local conditions I'm looking forward to some great diving! :supz:
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

My first time to Maui I paid for a couple of guided tours the first day and had the guide show me the do's and don'ts. Makena Landing (5 Graves, 5 Fingers) is a pretty cool dive site once you learn where the caverns are. Also Mile Marker 14 a few miles before Lahaina is really good (you park right across from the Mile Marker sign and enter there. Remember the compass heading is 180 out. Gets you through the coral. Mahla Pier Just outside of Lahaina is really good. Probably best done from a boat. Lanai has the Cathedrals which is awesome. You need to set this up a couple of weeks before you head to Maui. Lahaina DIvers is pretty good. I'm heading there March 1st for 10 days. Can't wait.
Greg
Got Water?
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

we went with scuba shack boat while there... they run a clean, fast boat and we had a lot of fun... I know some people say they are a bit cattle boaty but we found them to be open to letting us do our own thing (I was shooting video) as long as we were sort within visual range of the DM (our bubbles at least ;) if we hung near the DM they showed us critters tho, so 6 of 1, half dozen of other ;)

the realigning thing tho I'd that the shop doesn't make you feel like you are paying 'destination' prices... a pair of gloves or a mesh bag or belt buckle are same price as back home, which is a bit of a novelty :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Randar
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Randar »

Stayed there in October/November:

Must do's:

5 Graves: Get directions from the local Dive Shops. Great Dive!! I did 2-3 dives here and never got bored. Unbelievable coral structure!!! Lava Tubes, All of the usual reef fishes.

Black Rock: Tip the Valet parking guy, tell him you are Diving. Take your gear down to the beach and dive dive dive. I spent almost 75 Minutes there on one Alum 80. Stay close to the rock and around the back side depending on current/tide. Eagle Rays, Turtles, All the usual and some unusual suspects too. You may even get lucky and get some time swimming with all of the White Tips like I did.

Take a boat trip with Ed Robinson. They were TOP-Rate!!! I dove on their Adventure X (More Advanced) and did the back wall & Reef point at Molokini Crater.

Do the Carthaginian - A Lahaina Divers boat trip.

If you are more experienced - Do Lahaina Divers Hammerhead Dive. It is not for the faint of heart!!!

Lastly, if you just want an all around MELLOW dive where you can tool around for 2-3 tanks and never get bored, do MALA pier in Lahaina. It is right by the boat landing and is a Wrecked pier. I did both Day and Night dives here and had a BLAST!!!

~R~
:partyman:
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

My info may be a bit dated since my last few trips have been to the Big Island and Oahu. But I doubt the geology has changed.

Depending on your timing and budget it may be worthwhile to book a multi-day package with Ed Robinson. I did that on my first visit and found them to be extremely professional and customer oriented. The package I did took me to just about all the sites outside the lagoon on Molokini. These included all the Back Wall and outside the lagoon reef sites. It also included some shallow dives in South Maui and the little runabout that was deliberately sunk several years ago. All were very worthwhile.

By booking a package I got a better deal and got a very good orientation to the dive sites. The package was all "Advanced" divers and included a dive guide for every 6 divers. I also had EAN for all dives. Some trips were 2-tank and some 3-tank.

On my return trips I was a bit more picky since I had a pretty good handle on what was where.

Unless you have very good traffic tolerance I wouldn't do much up north. Maui traffic is a lot like I5 at rush hour; only all day long. Actually, main roads throughout Hawaii are like that so anything you can do to minimize that will add to your travel pleasure.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Scuba Skaughtie
Frequent Bubbler

Thanks all. Keep it coming. We're t-minus 51 days... And getting more and more excited.
ashitaka666
Aquaphile

Post by ashitaka666 »

Makena Landing Beg Route & Advanced Route (5Graves/5Caves) Is a good site. There's a shark that sleeps in the first cave. Also good place to see some turtle action.

White Rock it's a decent dive site. Saw a lot of turtles in the area when I dove it in Dec 2010.

Olowalu Beach is also a good one but getting out into the deeper water and getting back in can be tricky.

Old AIrport Beach over in Kaanapali is also a nice dive.

Black Rock also in Kaanapali is another good one. (Check on their wind conditions or else you may dive in when it's really turned up and possibly be moved around a lot UW due to the surge even at 30 feet.)

Boat Charters -
Molokini Crater Day/Dusk/Night is a great dive.
St Anthony's Ship Wreck
Carthagian II Ship Wreck
The Cathedrals I & II
Malawharf (Also has a resident shark that lives there. This dive can also be a shore dive as well. Surface swim is minor long.)

That's all I can think of atm.
Scuba Diving isn't about one's ego but about having fun and doing dives you feel comfortable doing.
Ashi's Photo Gallery