Looking for a good charter in Oahu, HI in July

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
fryction
Just Settling In

Post by fryction »

Hey guys -- I have an opportunity to take a trip to Hawaii this summer. Going to help my brother with a national power lifting meet in Honolulu. I'm only recently obtained my recreational cert but I was trained on back plate/wing and with team diving in mind. That being said can anyone recommend a charter company or someone to hook up with in Oahu? I'm really just looking to do a few reef dives and maybe a night dive or two. Only have three days to dive on but I'd like to use 'em all.

Also any thoughts - now that bags don't fly free - on packing my own gear? Is it worth it?
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Re: Looking for a good charter in Oahu, HI in July

Post by fishb0y »

Try Island Divers Hawaii... they run charters out of Joint Base Hickam-Pearl... some of the best spots on the Island that most charters don't get to. As for carry on... I've used the Dive Caddy.net with varying degrees of success...
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Ocean Concepts has office at Pearl Harbor and runs charters over on the leeward side in the caverns and reefs. Turtles, Eagle Rays, Sharks, etc.

For that short a trip I wouldn't bother packing anything but your mask. I regularly dive with these folks and their rental stuff looks good and I've never seen anyone have any problems with it.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

I have used www.divewithdave.com, great rates, personalized service, shore and boat dive options. Tell him Jesse sent ya, he will take great care of you!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Btw- Dave will coordinate rental gear for you too. I always spend the 50 and pack my own gear, but that is my personal preference.
fryction
Just Settling In

Post by fryction »

Thanks guys -- I'll check these people out.
fryction
Just Settling In

Post by fryction »

Does anyone know if you can bring batteries in your checked luggage? I'm thinking they might frown on the giant battery for my can light but I don't know.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

No problem on the batteries in checked luggage.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

fryction wrote:Does anyone know if you can bring batteries in your checked luggage? I'm thinking they might frown on the giant battery for my can light but I don't know.
No problem with the "normal" consumer battery. But, to be sure, go to the TSA web site and check.

I don't trust some person in the bowels of the terminal very much so I always put my can light batery in my carry on. Along with the light.

For what it is worth, I don't take my can light to HI unless I have some particular dives in mind. The water is clear enough a much smaller, more convenient light is adequate. Plus, from their reaction I don't think fish like bright lights.
fryction
Just Settling In

Post by fryction »

I was planning on doing a night dive -- I guess I could find/buy another small LED light - but was thinking my can light would be better for the night dive
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

I agree with ArticDiver. I think a can light may be too much even for a night dive. During the day I turned off all lights the critters usually scatter when you hit them with light during the day. I would rent a light in Hawaii rather than buy one or call one of the contacts there and ask what is recommended for night diving. No matter what, you will have a great time!
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Re light

One of the little 4AA LED lights is perfectly adequate for day diving in HI. Probably what you have as backup #1 or #2 would work just fine.

When I switch from my PT LED to my DiveRite LED 500 the fish do take notice and it does light up the caverns at Makaha Caverns. Last trip the resident white tip was tolerating everyone else's lights. I shone LED500 back into where it was resting. It gave me a few seconds to mind my manners and it retreated around a corner deeper into the cavern. Needless to say, I gave it its' space. White tips are fairly laid back. But there are limits and I'd rather not find them. Plus, I was the one being rude.
fryction
Just Settling In

Post by fryction »

All right -- no can light. Thanks for all the input. My backup is a nice little LED light so I'll just use that as my primary and find something else for a backup on my night dive.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Good move. It is an adjustment to be sure, but a pleasant one.

Thought for your consideration: Think in terms of the three lights you need anyway for wreck or cave work. Buy to end up with your primary and the two reliable backups. Then you are set until light envy sets in. :)
fryction
Just Settling In

Post by fryction »

You need three lights for wreck or cave? Wow... I guess I'll order another of my backup lights -- it's a nice little 220 lumen LED light.