Kauai

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Kauai

Post by Diver Doug »

Going to Kauai in early April. Does anybody know some good shore diving spots that are easily accessible? I have dove koloa landing a couple of times. I think it is too early for the North, West, or east shore. shorediving USA has some sites but the majority are snorkle sites. If you ask around the shops they recommend all the typical sites for tourists. I would like too dive the secret spots.
Doug
If only I had Gills
RoxnDox
Submariner

Re: Kauai

Post by RoxnDox »

I don't know, but will certainly be interested in the responses (I'm going to be there same time frame, vacationing while the wife does a medical conference :partydance: ). I have been looking at Bubbles Below for gear rental and at least one boat dive. Doing some shore dives is also on the list... We will be staying in Lihue (sp?) in SE corner of the island.

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

RoxnDox wrote:I don't know, but will certainly be interested in the responses (I'm going to be there same time frame, vacationing while the wife does a medical conference :partydance: ). I have been looking at Bubbles Below for gear rental and at least one boat dive. Doing some shore dives is also on the list... We will be staying in Lihue (sp?) in SE corner of the island.

Jim
When are you going to be there? We are the 11th of april till the 20th. Going with my wifes family. My sister inlaw just got certified last year in Koloa. We were planning on doing some dives while there. You are welcome to join up also. We are staying in the Waipoli area.
Doug
If only I had Gills
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Diver Doug wrote:
RoxnDox wrote:I don't know, but will certainly be interested in the responses (I'm going to be there same time frame, vacationing while the wife does a medical conference :partydance: ). I have been looking at Bubbles Below for gear rental and at least one boat dive. Doing some shore dives is also on the list... We will be staying in Lihue (sp?) in SE corner of the island.

Jim
When are you going to be there? We are the 11th of april till the 20th. Going with my wifes family. My sister inlaw just got certified last year in Koloa. We were planning on doing some dives while there. You are welcome to join up also. We are staying in the Waipoli area.
Doug
Bummer, we are going to be there before you, 1st-6th... Otherwise we'd have a plan!

Jim
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Did you get any more info on spots to dive over there?

I just got off the phone with Bubbles Below, booked myself a shore dive at Koloa Landing and a 2-tank local boat for the next day... That takes up Tuesday and Wednesday of hte week we're there, the rest of the time I'll be snorkeling and doing dryland sightseeing. :-) I'm getting stoked to try this warm-water thing... I hear it's nice :metal:

Jim
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

No, I just found the regular spots. Koloa landing is good. Be sur to get ther early, as p[arking sucks and later it gets silted right in front from all the classes. There seems to be more structure to the right, and gets deeper left. If this is the first time in warm water one thing you need to realize, is nobody in the islands even owns a compass, much less no how to use one. With visibility what it is there typically is no need. If you are used to diving the cold, low vis PNW, it will be a nice break.
The good thing about Hawaii in general, (yes it not the best diving by far), but there is plenty to do topside for the non divers.
Make sure you post a report when you get back. Maybe you will find the "hidden spot".
Aloha, Doug :supz:
If only I had Gills
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hope you have good weather!

I did a trip a year or so ago around this time and we had some weird winds that made diving a bit of a challenge - swell going one way and 20mph winds going the other.

Dive op did a great job putting us on diveable sites where the viz was not stirred all to hades, but it sure could have been better.

Did not get to do Niihau because it was too early in the year / and bad weather. :( Great excuse to go back!

We LOVED Kauai... Really want to go back. I want to do closer to Summer or early Fall for better diving, though it is more crowded then.

You can drill around for our trip report if you're interested.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Supposed to meet up with the B.B. guide at 7:30 for Koloa Landing. I'm taking my own reg set, so I'll have a compass - just in case the viz drops down to nothing and I get all lost & stuff... :tomnic: The gal I talked to (Amber, the owners daughter) said a dive plan of "poke around and look at stuff and take pictures" was just fine with their DMs for both shore & boat dives... I've read a lot of writeups around the net that said Koloa was just so-so, but for a first-time visitor I don't really care even IF that's true. Still gonna be fun! :taco:

Tom, I did read your trip report :) Amber said they pretty much stick on the south side for their 'local' dives this time of year, but we should be able to find good spots without too much challenge... Doing the Nihau dive would be great fun - after I have more experience... Ain't ready for that one yet, next time I get there (some year...). We're going that week because that's when Sue's medical conference is being held. I'm just tagging along for playtime :pirate:

I have been told I have to give a trip report to my cow-orkers the day after we get back at a staff meeting too, so I'll have to work on getting some really good pics to make 'em all more jealous. Hehehehehehehehehehehe..... :smt064 :popcorn: :angelblue:

Jim