Carry on luggage-tools?

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

Carry on luggage-tools?

Post by PapaZ »

Just returned from a dive trip in Belize. At security check in Belize, it was determined that my pair of pliers, small crescent wrench & Allen wrenches were illegal to be in carry on. Had the choice of going back to ticketing, trying to have them find my checked in luggage to have the items put in it. Did not bother to try that as was at the 50 pound weight limit already. So, someone in Belize has a cheap set of tools.
Have had them in my carry on luggage numerous times over the last several years.
Of course, that was a waste of words to the security people.
Upon returning home, checked out the USA - TSA rules.
Says, small tools, pliers, wrenches that are under 7 inches in length are legal to be in carry on.
Must be different rules to get out of Belize.
:banghead: :banghead:
defied
I've Got Gills

Re: Carry on luggage-tools?

Post by defied »

Print those pages up and put them in your carry on. A lot of these agencies don't necessarily understand each other. I've been pinged on a few things that are perfectly acceptable, and I would not have been allowed to board had I not pulled out the TSA guidelines.

It is Belize, so they may have their own thing. But they usually follow the US' lead. Having the paperwork can never hurt.

D
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mexico has completely opposite rules regarding batteries vs TSA. Going to MX put batteries in carry-on. Leaving MX you should check them or they may not let you pass security.

My general leaving MX experience is to put as much in checked baggage as possible they are generally concerned with starting fires, tools or sharp objects in carry-ons. Seems Belize is similar.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

PapaZ wrote:Just returned from a dive trip in Belize. At security check in Belize, it was determined that my pair of pliers, small crescent wrench & Allen wrenches were illegal to be in carry on. ...Must be different rules to get out of Belize. :banghead: :banghead:
actually, I called them just before you went through security and suggested that they do a full body cavity search on you.
So,....looks like you got off easy....this time.

:)
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

+1 to Richard's comment (ESPECIALLY the battery part! TSA prefers batteries in carry-on. However, I once was detained for almost 90 minutes for having them in my carry-on when departing Mexico). When leaving Mexico I put as much into checked luggage as possible.

For the the stuff I do take on carry-on I print literature from the manufacturer's website and rubber band it around the item, since a) often times there's a language barrier, and b) they do not like being spoken to when inspecting a bag. This has helped more than once.

Sounds like Belize may be similar in that regard.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
spatman
I've Got Gills

Carry on luggage-tools?

Post by spatman »

What do you recommend I print out to put with my can light battery?

I also saw a mention of a sticker from airspeed that can be put on the battery, but I can't find it on their website. Anyone know of such a thing and where I could get it?
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

spatman wrote:What do you recommend I print out to put with my can light battery?

I also saw a mention of a sticker from airspeed that can be put on the battery, but I can't find it on their website. Anyone know of such a thing and where I could get it?
I print a page off the TSA website that specifically addresses batteries (at work, I saved a copy on my computer at home. Will see if I can dig it up this evening).

I also print a page from batteryspace for the battery, a page for the canister, and a page for the light head. All with pictures and brief descriptions.

I used to use the sticker airspeed press made, but with TSA preferring all battery types be in carry-on luggage now, in addition to providing literature, I haven't had an issue since I've stopped using the stickers

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:What do you recommend I print out to put with my can light battery?

I don't. Just tell TSA its a "dive light". They will usually call a supervisor over to bless it and swab it for their GC, but otherwise don't worry about it. You might want to print this:
http://safetravel.dot.gov/quick_chart.html

They don't care about the airpseed stickers one way or another. Avoid travel to a farm using ammonium nitrate fertilizers beforehand. Maybe that was papaz's problem? :bday:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

CaptnJack wrote:

I don't. Just tell TSA its a "dive light".
I do that as well, as it's going through the inspection machine. Usually that works. However, I've had a couple of cocky agents who did not want to be spoken to, so I went with the literature for good measure, to save time and less headaches.

I was glad I did on 2 or 3 occasions.

defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

There's an entire page dedicated to what batteries are allowed and in what sizes (NiMH, Liion, Lead Acid).

D
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

Post by PapaZ »

Thanks for all the input to the original question...........

With additional body cavity searches proposed by MZ, stopping off at the dairy farm for a little ammonia nitrate fix and pick up some big batteries...........should be fun next time going through security. :supz: :supz:

Maybe just should go to our destinations, buy cheapo tools/batteries there and upon leaving, donate them to mission.
:notworthy: :notworthy:

Seriously, thank you for the replies. Some very good ideas to use.

PapaZ
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

This is some good information. Thanks -
I have had a few run-ins with security. wish I would have printed out some info to have with me.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17