South Africa Caged Shark Diving- any suggestions?

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
babs13
Dive-aholic

South Africa Caged Shark Diving- any suggestions?

Post by babs13 »

Curious if anyone has done the caged great white shark diving thing in South Africa, originating from Cape Town. Any shop recommendations? :pirate:
Step 1: I have a diving problem.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Re: South Africa Caged Shark Diving- any suggestions?

Post by kdupreez »

Im South African (moved here 11yrs ago), but have not personally done the great white cage experience, becuase I dont believe it to be "diving".. you are stuffed in a cage with either a snorkel or surface supplied air, they chum the water and you dip down to see the sharks swim around trying to eat a chum-sickle..

Either way, I know a lot of people who have and also know some of the operators. They all go mostly out of "Gansbaai" (directly translated; Goose bay)

You dont need to have much diving experience and dont even need to be certified in most cases.

The best guy for the job is Mike “Sharkman” Rutzen, he is synonymous with great white diving in SA and you cant go wrong if wanted to do this right.

All this said - I would much rather visit Wine farms in south africa when in Cape Town and go do some REAL shark diving in the KwaZulu-Natal area where you can do cage free diving with Tiger sharks, Black tips, Sand tigers (raggies), etc.

If you need more info on tour operators that actually know what they are doing, please drop me a PM and I can hook you up friends of mine from Cape Town all the way through to Mozambique.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Perry Cole
Just Settling In

Post by Perry Cole »

Don't do it! Caged shark diving is just training the sharks to associate divers with chum balls and eating. Caged shark diving is no more shark diving than riding a roller coaster is flying.
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

kdupreez wrote:All this said - I would much rather visit Wine farms in south africa when in Cape Town and go do some REAL shark diving in the KwaZulu-Natal area where you can do cage free diving with Tiger sharks, Black tips, Sand tigers (raggies), etc.
Now THAT sounds like a vacation!
rgugler
Just Settling In

Post by rgugler »

If I ever make it to SA, I'm hoping to volunteer with this group for awhile.

http://www.dict.org.za/
Fordman
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Fordman »

Did this in 2006 in Gansbaai. 20' hose to a reg in the cage. 52 degree water. They chum and the sharks go nuts.

sent from the new sapling droid