Puerto Rico / Caribbean dives during cruise

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Puerto Rico / Caribbean dives during cruise

Post by KneeDeep »

The wife and I are planning an anniversary cruise starting in San Juan , Puerto Rico. The cruise itself will be 7 days, but we are planning to stay additional 7 days in Puerto Rico, perhaps do an island hope to one of the islands we didn’t hit from the cruise. (open to suggestions to an island hop)

Below is a list of islands we are hitting on the cruise. Any of these islands worth diving at, as I haven’t never been there? I am currently in OW, and I am hoping to do a few more dives before we go at the end of September. Any suggestions on any islands to dive at would be great.

Islands stops on the cruise:
St. Thomas , U.S. Virgin Islands
Barbados , Caribbean 08:00
St. Lucia
St. Kitts , Leeward Islands
St. Maarten , Netherland Antilles
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Re: Puerto Rico / Caribbean dives during cruise

Post by KneeDeep »

What? No dive suggestions for these islands?
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

For newer divers or someone that isn't real familiar with the various ports and operators, I suggest checking with the cruise ship on their dive packages first. In general, cruise destinations are good for diving but many of the local operators are not as sensitive to departure times as they should be so you may get stuck on the beach watching your ship pull off into the sunset.

Have fun on your trip!!
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

I would agree with rcontrera. It doesn't matter that there will be some great dive sites with great dive operators at your destinations. It's all about the logistics of getting there and back on time.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Does the cruise have a "diving day" package? Or would you be arranging these dives on your own?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

St Lucia was beautiful diving when I went there; got in a full week of diving and it was lovely.

But +1 to either ensuring you book your diving through the cruise line and/or ensuring the dive operator is clear on your time limits. Cruise ships do not wait for straggling passengers.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

I have taken several cruises, and do the day diving packages with the cruise line. I initially was hesitant to do so, but am glad I did them that way, and would do so again. They may cost more than what one could find onshore, but cannot beat the convenience factor, and the fact the are cognizant of when you will be able to depart the ship, and when you will have to return. You don't want to miss the ship, then have to pay to catch back up to it! If I couldn't dive from a cruise, I am not sure what I would do, except get rather bored. Good luck!
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Thanks all. I'm going ot look into the cruise line and see what they have to offer.

What they do have, I'll post back the locations (if they are different then posted above) to get some feed back on "Which" location might be best, as I am sure I will not be able to hit all of them.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Good luck with anything in PR running on time! The best shore dives are on the NW side of the island, about 2 -3 hour drive from San Juan.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Ok... an update.

I found some excursions that I will be doing with the cruise line, but there are only 2 dive locations.

They are St Lucia and Barbados... both are 2 tank dives. If you were to pick 1 of them, which one would you choose? I might be able to wiggle both, but not sure yet.

What I don't know is the dive shop hosting.

Ready.... Set.... Go
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Both. :)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Tom Nic wrote:Both. :)
I know... I am 'trying' to work on both, but we shall see. This is our anniversary trip, and it sucks 'the wife' (as I so call her) doesn't dive.