Oahu in March/April

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Joe Blow
Avid Diver

Oahu in March/April

Post by Joe Blow »

I'm looking for any info on this charter operation.

http://reefpirates.com/

I like the idea of the limited spots on the boat, but I also don't want to get ripped off. Anybody dive with these guys before? Please post your experience minus your opinion unless it relates to your experience. ;) Thanks.
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Re: Oahu in March/April

Post by 2loud4u »

BUMP

I was about to do a search or put up a post on here as well... We are also going to Oahu End of march and we have also been looking at a few dive charters such as reefpirates, and also any place for shore dives??
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

http://divewithdave.com/info/about/

I dove with Dave Sanford on the north shore of Oahu. Great dive guide and reasonably priced. We dove sharks cove.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

For diving on Maui, I highly recommend http://www.mikesevernsdiving.com/
Jenn
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

enchantmentdivi wrote:For diving on Maui, I highly recommend http://www.mikesevernsdiving.com/

I agree, thats who I dive with while in Maui...They are top notch, now I am looking for an outfit in Oahu that is just as good.

Brendan
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Brendan, when in March will you be here?

I'm on the island and looking for a house. My boat "should" be here by then. Hopefully I will be settled and running by then.
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

I will be there March 28- April 10th

I didn't know you were headed out there now....really cool!

Brendan
Joe Blow
Avid Diver

Post by Joe Blow »

Well I booked with reefpirates for March 24th. $85 seemed pretty reasonable and the limited boat capacity is exactly what i was looking for. I'll report back after my trip. ;)
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

Does anyone know if there is shore diving here? If so where?
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Joe, how was the dive? Weather was kinda crappy yesterday.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

2loud4u wrote:Does anyone know if there is shore diving here? If so where?
Sharks cove on the north shore is a popular spot, but this time of year, if can be a bit rough up there.
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

OK, thanks. I will check it out.
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

There's plenty of shore diving, it just depends on the waves... This time of year the North Shore is marginal, at best. Check out 'Electric Beach', west on H1. Your best bet is to call any dive shop (I recommend NOT calling Ocean Concepts) and asking how conditions are at a couple of sites.
Joe Blow
Avid Diver

Post by Joe Blow »

pensacoladiver wrote:Joe, how was the dive? Weather was kinda crappy yesterday.

The dive was great, but yeah the weather almost my entire trip was pretty grey. It didn't start to get nice and sunny out until my planned diving was all done with. We dove the Sea Tiger and some reef right outside the harbor. The boat was bombed by divers so it wasn't that great but I did manage to catch a look at some sharks on my second dive and it made up for it, plus we had a rare opportunity to snorkel with mantas that were feeding at the surface. The captain of the boat said he had never seen anything like it before. He originally thought they were spinner dolphin by the way they acted at the waters surface.

And to give a plug to the guys who deserve it, http://www.waikikiscuba.com/. These guys are great, and they're Ducks! The owner graduated from U of O so we had lots to talk about. The Dive masters were super professional and took the extra time to ensure we were all teamed with people of comparable skill level, and they gave great pre-dive instructions. I'd get in the water with these guys again in a heartbeat! They even let me store my gear in their drying room because I was staying at Ko'olani Tower and they do not have any place to dry gear. :supz: :supz:
kasi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kasi »

I had complete the tour of Oahu in march such a nice and superb place and i really impressed with your guide dive and i will again make plan for Oahu and then i implement these instruction...