Maui Easy Shore Diving Recommendations 2/22-3/4

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
psundquist
Avid Diver

Maui Easy Shore Diving Recommendations 2/22-3/4

Post by psundquist »

Heading to Maui on Friday, looking for easy shore diving recommendations during the windy season. Also interested if I can hit any later in the day or if they are all first thing in the morning due to the winds. Where is a good place to rent a tank and weights as well?

Thanks!
-Paul
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Re: Maui Easy Shore Diving Recommendations 2/22-3/4

Post by thefeve »

I can't answer to the wind issue, but look into mala ramp. It's an old pier that was sunk like 10 years ago in a storm. Heard its a great shore dive. Also, black rock was a cool drift along the wall. Pretty shallow and ~30 min dive when we did it, but was really fun.
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

We were there a few weeks ago. There was a strong storm surge so vis was on the poor side compared to normal. We did several dives that were into early afternoon and had no problems but there is more surge the later it get. The other reason to be early is for a parking spot, they fill up quick.

For ease of access plus stuff to see we really liked Makena Landing. It was very easy entry and exit. If you stay to the right there are several small caves where the sharks and turtles hang out. Bring your good lights with you on your trip.

Due to the vis the spot we dove the most was Mala Pier as it seemed to be the most protected from the surge. There is lots of underwater structure for the critters to hide in/on/under. Entry frankly sucks. You can stay to the left of the pier but it is a long (roughly 75 yard) walk in 1-2' deep water on very uneven rock bottom. The other way is to walk along the break for the boat launch and enter there. This is how we did it as it was easier till the last foot or two of large slick rock. The easy but "not allowed" way is to enter off the boat ramp and surface swim quickly across and if caught claim to be dumb tourists.

The other spot we really liked was Honolua Bay which is way up north. I wish we would have done this one sooner but the walk "scared" Beth. It is probably a 150-200 yard walk but down a nice easy path.

We did Ulua beach also but only once because the further south the worse the surge was while we were there. It is easy diving and where they do a lot of OW classes.

If you have not seen it this is a cool site, http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/Maui/index.htm

I have no idea how much diving you plan on doing but we got tanks though B&B scuba. Great people and if you plan on using 10 tanks they have a "punch" card getting air fills to $4/each. The other nice thing was with 2 of us and wanting to do back to back dives they had no problem with us taking 3 tanks each and just rotating them out during the week.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Where to get your tanks depends on where you are staying. We stay down in the Kihei area, and always rent from B&B. They have been VERY nice to us in the past, including putting DIN valves on tanks for us.

In addition to the shorediving.com site, check out alohashoredivers.com. That was put together by a friend of mine who lived on Maui for a number of years.

Most of the sites have entry down sandy beaches. A few have a lot of coral heads just offshore, and can be quite tricky in surf. What's most protected will depend on the direction of the prevailing wind. Afternoons are always windier, and the best diving is in the morning. What Peter and I generally do is go down and do one shallow but very long (90 min) dive in the morning, and then enjoy the rest of the day doing something else.

The Mala Pier dive is my favorite Maui shore dive.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
psundquist
Avid Diver

Post by psundquist »

Thanks everyone for the ideas and advice, I appreciate learning from your experience and not having to learn everything on my own for my first trip to this state. I'll be checking out Mala, Makena, Honolua Bay, along with the others on alohashoredivers.com during the morning hours. Glad to learn about B&B, the DIN valves is a huge draw!
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Honolua was AMAZING. I only snorkeled there, but both my wife and I loved it and considered it our favorite place. I'll definitely by trying to dive there next time we go.
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

It depends a lot on where you'll be staying on the island. We usually stay in Kihei, and there are plenty of great sites in that area...Makena Landing, 5 Graves is a must do (we normally enter at 5 Graves and exit at Makena Landing), White Rock, Ulua, La Perouse, etc.

This is a great book that can be found in pretty much all the shops and is very helpful.

B & B, which has been mentioned is a great shop. Maui Dreams Dive Company is a great shop as well, and they have AL100s.

I don't have much experience in Lahaina area, except for a dive or two at Black Rock and Mala.

Normally the drive from/to Kihei and Lahaina is only an hour or so. However, this time of year it's still humpback season, and can result in some truly epic traffic jams as tourists sometimes slow to a complete stop to look at the whales, making for a frustrating drive. It's toward the end of the whale season, but that's definitely a consideration.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
psundquist
Avid Diver

Post by psundquist »

Thanks Brian. We are staying by Maalaea Bay, and luckily I already found the book a month ago online and have it in hand. I know what sites I'll be reading up on during the flight after work on Friday. I'll keep the tourist whale watching tip in mind.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Paul

Are you back? I am heading to maui in two weeks and plan on shore diving the entire trip. Any feedback, or better yet, photos to share?

Thanks Jesse