Gull Island Diving - Southwest corner of Santa Cruz Island

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Gull Island Diving - Southwest corner of Santa Cruz Island

Post by coulterboy »

Going to visit my mother and sisters again in California this summer . I'm planning to do a dive off a boat called the "Spectre". The dive site is Gull Island. It's located off the southwest corner of the Santa Cruz island. Has anybody experienced diving off this boat, or this island? Any feedbacks are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Tom
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Gull Island Diving - Southwest corner of Santa Cruz Isla

Post by LCF »

I've dived off the Spectre a couple of times. Be prepared for a BIG giant stride! (I think it's about ten feet to the water.)

The Spectre is known for its tri-tip lunch -- be aware that you have to pay for it.

I don't know Gull Island in particular, but the diving off Santa Cruz tends to be very pleasant. Lots of kelp and boulders, and a wide variety of fish and nudibranchs.

The Spectre is a big boat -- I can't remember how many divers it can take, but it's a lot. You will see a wide variety of people.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Thanks Lynne
MorningDiverBob
Dive-aholic

Post by MorningDiverBob »

I haven't been dive at Gull Island but I dove at Anacapa Island by Spectre. It was nice. Jump in water from either side of high boat and exit was easy (surface water) except too high climb. No problem for me but some divers had difficult or hard to up. See pictures http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... t=calif.+2 . They have refill air tank on boat but you must full tank if you bring your own from any dive shop for fill before on board. I dove three dives. They allow divers use the bunkbeds for overnight before leave next morning (save money motel) but I like comfortable at motel as peace/ rest :) not far less two miles from dock. Check internet for "Spectre dive boat". I like Spectre. Another about three or four dive boats from Ventura, CA. I went there in Aug. 2010. Good luck.
Go Dive and Dive Safe
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Gull Island is stinky, very very stinky. But if I remember right, the dive was great! I remember lots of purple urchins and glorious kelp.
Jenn
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Done! I just booked a reservation on the Gull Island dive today. Got a reserved bunk bed ready for me to sleep in the night before the dive on the boat, being that the boat leaves around 0300 early in the morning the next day. Otherwise, I would have to be on the boat around 0230 that day. I'd rather have a good sleep on the boat, and not hassle my wife driving me to the marina early in the morning.