Any sage wisdom for a weekend in Victoria?

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Any sage wisdom for a weekend in Victoria?

Post by Sasquatch »

Greetings,

We are just going up for a few days at the end of June, 2013 and I've not been diving up there. Can anyone recommend a "don't miss this" site or a dive shop that you liked?

If you've been up recently maybe a condition report. I'm not counting on very good viz but maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks in advance, divers!

Sea ya. :)
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Any sage wisdom for a weekend in Victoria?

Post by CaptnJack »

There's really only 1 shore dive, "the breakwater" which is hard to miss. Its right behind the dive shop.

If you can arrange a charter to Race Rocks that's more the "shouldn't miss" site. The dive shop can help you arrange any boat dives since they own the charter too. They have a couple boats which leave out of a harbor in Sidney. http://www.divevictoria.com/
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Thanks for the tips! I'm looking forward to some adventures up yonder.

Dave
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I would heartily recommend driving up to Nanaimo and diving the Cape Breton and Sasketchewan wrecks (reefs, technically) if you haven't, yet- tons of fun!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

I haven't been to the wrecks yet. Between these options you folks have provided I think I'll have a fine time up there. Thanks!

Sea ya!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

When we were up there in November, we dove with Pinnacle Dive Charters. We really liked them -- nice people and they did a good job for us. The boat has limited shelter, but it was enough.

We did the Great Race, which is one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited underwater -- a fairyland of pinks and cream, and tons of macro (and not so macro) critters. HERE is my dive report of the trip, with photos (includes some pictures off the previous day's dives in Nanaimo, too).
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
jerryehrlich
Avid Diver

Post by jerryehrlich »

Sasquatch wrote:Greetings,

We are just going up for a few days at the end of June, 2013 and I've not been diving up there. Can anyone recommend a "don't miss this" site or a dive shop that you liked?

If you've been up recently maybe a condition report. I'm not counting on very good viz but maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks in advance, divers!

Sea ya. :)
Race Rocks
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Again, thanks. All suggestions are welcome. I really enjoyed the trip report, Lynne. The shop recommendations are welcome as one in our party desires a Discover Scuba type experience to see if she likes the scuba thing.
Sea ya!
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Sasquatch wrote: one in our party desires a Discover Scuba type experience to see if she likes the scuba thing.
I'm not sure that anybody is running open water Discover Scuba opportunities around here and frankly if they did I'd probably question their ability to provide a safe experience. It is challenging to find good places to snorkel around here but it could be a safer experience and still and adventure. Perhaps you should configure your trip to allow visiting the aquariums in Seattle and/or Vancouver.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

"I'm not sure that anybody is running open water Discover Scuba opportunities around here..."

Actually CaptnJack included a link in the first response to Ogden Point Dive Center in Victoria and they offer one. Pool or salt water option. Since they're right off the breakwater we could explore while our friend discovers scuba.

Thanks for all the input!

Sea ya!
kasi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kasi »

Its good tips about the dive and i also suggest to you the same site for the dive help http://www.divevictoria.com/ because i have also experience with this site very helpful and informative...
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

The Breakwater was amazing. A bit of a hike to get where we dropped in but viz was amazing and the sea was alive! Can't wait to go again next month and we're including Race Rocks next time.