Key Largo

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

Key Largo

Post by PapaZ »

Planning to be in Key Largo to dive for 3 or 4 days in late April or early May 2014.
Suggestions/critique for a motel/dive company or dive resort?

:) :pirate:
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Re: Key Largo

Post by Bric Martin »

I like Ocean Divers. Great boats, they go every day. They will dive wth as few as 2 divers. There is hotel right at the dock. The hotel is old, but it's clean and quiet. Everything can be arranged throu OD.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

I've gone out with Ocean Divers and Silent World (not to be confused with the Bellevue shop). Ocean Divers was great and has great boats. Silent Worlds boat is smaller (I believe a max of 10 people) and more basic but it's nice to be out at the divesites with fewer people. They also do "double header" wreck dives which is nice.

The Keys operate a bit different than typical Caribbean dive resorts in that you dive your own profile - If you want a DM to guide you on a dive, you need to arrange for it and pay extra.

As for lodging the Keys are a bit different in that you don't have very many large hotel chains. If I'm going with my buddies we crash at a "keys quaint" (i.e. cheap and dumpy) motel. If I'm with the family we rent something off from VRBO.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Key largo is a good place to launch from. The reefs are all relatively shallow, 45' or less with lots of pretty fish to get photos of. The wrecks are a bit farther out and deeper. Expect the motels to be pricey but you shouldn't have to much trouble getting in at that time of year Peak season is October through March and accommodations can get scarce. I would suggest you book your room ASAP and ask for the off season rate.

Don't expect to do shore dives. These are mangrove islands and the water is very shallow for a long ways out.
isac777
Frequent Bubbler

Post by isac777 »

well i went there 1 year ago and we stayed at the hampton bay. pretty nice rooms but awesome and i mean awesome breafast everyday for free and opens at 6am i believe. they had waffles and eggs and toat and all sorts of juice..!!! The charter i did was Rainbow divers it was alot of fun. i was on the shallower dive but we dove the Benwood and it was real cool. I have video if u wanna see it. The price was like $75 for 2 tanks and i had my own gear except tank of course.
kasi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kasi »

April is gone away and his good looks plan for snorkeling trip if you have photos or video can be shared with me after seeing I also do plan on diving there this season
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

Post by PapaZ »