Costa Rica - Late February

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Costa Rica - Late February

Post by Scubie Doo »

Well I just found out I qualified for our 2014 incentive trip to Costa Rica. I won't be able to do a lot of diving. But, I want to get a few in. Any recommendations? We will be staying in Guanacaste. I have never been there, so any info would be greatly appreciated.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Costa Rica - Late February

Post by Tom Nic »

Rocket Frog Divers
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Take copious notes. I will do this trip, just not February.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

We did a dive trip to Costa Rica about 5 years ago - It's a awesome country both topside and underwater.

Most of the diving in Guanacaste is out of Playas Del Coco. It's Pacific diving which is mostly larger animals and schooling fish rather than coral and color. If your adventurous and want to do something really cool I'd do a day charter to the Bat Islands and dive with the Bull sharks. Unfortunately when we were there our Bat Islands trip got cancelled due weather.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Okay, I have 4 dives booked with Rocket Frog Divers. Not as much diving as I hoped, but I can add CR to my dive log :-)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Scubie Doo wrote:Okay, I have 4 dives booked with Rocket Frog Divers. Not as much diving as I hoped, but I can add CR to my dive log :-)
Kewl!!

Expecting a full trip report. I will do a trip sometime in the next year or two.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Will do Tom. Not sure if we are going to Bat Island or Catalina Island.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

We were there in March last year. We were told the water temps would be in the mid to high 70's so brought appropriate exposure protection. But the temps were much colder-in the low to mid 60's. By the end of the week we were all piling on exposure suits on top of exposure suits. We were told this was unusual and if you are only doing 4 dives it may not be an issue but you might want to be prepared. The diving was pretty cool although it definitely isn't tropical. Have a great trip.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
kasi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kasi »

Congratulations because you qualify first trip to Costa Rica but have not much idea about this place because I've never been there yet, but divers say that your best place to enjoy is it true?
outcoldman
Getting To Know Folks

Post by outcoldman »

I had really great experience this year in the beginning of March 2015 with http://www.sirenasdivingcostarica.com at Playas Del Coco
Finished my Open Water (including pool), Advanced Open Water, Nitrox courses and did few fun dives after that. I finished all manuals online. In summary did 17 dives with them.

Bobbie Jo is a great instructor, her husband Danny will watch for your gear on the boat, will help to prepare for the dives, while you are enjoying his own-made sandwiches between the dives. They usually do about 2-3 dives a day. Always different spots. Danny knows area very well, he just know where to put the anchor, Bobbie Jo will show you a lot under water.

So they just a dive boat, not a shop. Which worked great for me, we had maximum 7 people on the boat, 6 for the diving (Danny does not dive).

My video from these dives https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U_IrkPpCIU