Iceland

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Iceland

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

It's official I am going to Iceland this July. :taco:

I am going to do the Silfra Crack and maybe the geothermal dive as well. Has anyone done either yet?

If so which shop/tour did you use and would you recommend them or not?

I shall post some video/pics of the dive when I do it
60south
Pelagic

Re: Iceland

Post by 60south »

Yay! I wish I could join you, Iceland on my bucket list. Have a good time a report back!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

My dive buddy Ricardo has dived Iceland. He's a nice guy, you can ask him directly here:
https://www.facebook.com/ricardo.preve
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

I am in the process of planning a trip there in late August. For the hydrothermal vent diving at the north end of Iceland I have been trading emails with the operator. There appear to be several operators doing the Strytan dive, but it looks like everyone contracts with Erlendur Bogason and adds their markup. He is the one my family will be diving with. www.strytan.is He holds the conservation contract for the marine park and is reportedly the one who discovered it.

We will probably go with www.dive.is for the lake dive if we have time to do it. They appear to be the largest. The only caution I have seen in the reviews is to make sure the drysuit fits before you get to the site.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

I emailed dive.is and never heard back. I have been talking to the team at diveiceland.com and have been impressed and will probably use them.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

seattlepaul1975 wrote:It's official I am going to Iceland this July. :taco:

I am going to do the Silfra Crack and maybe the geothermal dive as well. Has anyone done either yet?

If so which shop/tour did you use and would you recommend them or not?

I shall post some video/pics of the dive when I do it
Congratulations and Good luck!

Thanks in advance for taking us along on the ride, and for the report and recommends - it will be a help for those of us lucky enough to get there someday!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
zekethesheik
Just Settling In

Post by zekethesheik »

Richard Anderson of Seattle Dive Tours I believe has been... Nice guy, look him up
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

I LOVE Iceland!! Went there in 2008 for 2-1/2 weeks in March staying with friends,BbbleMkr and RyanS, who lived there for awhile. We dove Silfra Cathedral, Bjarnagjá Lava Ravine, and Gardurinn at Garður. Awesome dives!!! I carried all our dive gear over, except their backplates. They rented their BCs (jacket ones, no wing/backplates available), and we got our tanks from Dive.Is. I forgot where we found our guide, but we rented one for those three dives. I was in email contact with Tobi Klose at tobi@tobiasklose.de. They did not have argon, btw. When we were there, it was before Iceland's economy crashed, so Iceland was super-duper expensive, i.e., $6 for the cheapest beer in a store ($36 for a six pack). We spent about $1000 for the three dives - filled tanks, two BCs, weights, and a guide/transportation. Since their economy crashed, the currency improved from 80 ISK to the dollar to now it's 112 ISK to the dollar. However, Iceland is still super expensive (nearly everything imported, and heavily taxed 35%). Going in July will give you endless daylight, and more of an ability to travel around the country by car (couldn't be done in March). Water was in the upper 30s. Silfra, which is considered where the Atlantic starts, allows one to touch both the North American and European tectonic plates at once - pretty cool!!! I will get back to Iceland some day. Have a great time!!

Here are links to my photos for those three dives:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/diver_c/s ... 123858588/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/diver_c/s ... 128102551/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/diver_c/s ... 183545800/
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

I contacted diveiceland.is and found a trip that fit my needs exactly. Traded a few emails getting the details worked out and then they stopped answering emails for over 2 weeks. Found another one that is working with me on a custom plan magmadive.is
kasi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kasi »

Iceland is a very volcanically active country and i want to visit the Iceland in next season its my first trip toward the Iceland my friends tell me that water that flows through the ground gets heated vigorously..
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

There is a lot of hydrothermal activity there. One dive I am doing with my wife and daughter there in a few weeks is at an underwater hydrothermal vent in a fjord on the north side of the island (site is called Strytan). It is reported as the only undersea hydrothermal vent that is in recreational dive limits. Fresh water exits the vent at about 80 C. The seawater is a bit colder than here.