Roatan dive ops

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Roatan dive ops

Post by Joshua Smith »

A buddy of mine just bought a spur-of-the-moment ticket to roatan, and he wants to get certified down there- can anyone recommend a good outfit and/or instructor down there?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: Roatan dive ops

Post by John Rawlings »

I very much enjoyed my trip to Anthony's Key Resort a few years back. They have instruction there and information can be found under the "Diving" link on their website - http://www.anthonyskey.com/about/about-us.htm

One great thing about AKR is that they have a decompression chamber facility right on site.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
ohopdiver
Aquaphile

Post by ohopdiver »

CoCo View was awesome but it's been so long I can't vouch for now. Just another resort to look into.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

John Rawlings wrote:
One great thing about AKR is that they have a decompression chamber facility right on site.
That might actually make me nervous. I suppose with a high percentage of vacation divers it's simply prudent.
Gregp
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Gregp »

Roatan can be amazing! There are a lot of options but ultimately depends what type of hotel and/or dive operation you are looking for.

If you prefer to be a little more economical, as well as hang out with the local cute/quaint places - I'd highly recommend staying in and diving out of the town West End where Half Moon Bay is located (not to be confused with the town of West Bay which is more accurately described as being at the end of the island - [weird I know]). There are many suitable dive shops all within walking distance in West End, and fun restaurants/pubs too. If you're a spontaneous person, you can just show up from a taxi, knock at a few different places, and go with the dive company or boat you like. Of course, checking out Trip Advisor can provide good information too. Some of the dive shops are more personal, and then you have your diving cert factories. West End is a nice dive location as you can get to the many great dive spots quickly by boat. There's plenty of calm water for shallow/confined dives, but there's also current dives you can do. The snorkeling is pretty darn good here, and if you really want to go deep - just skip tec and go down to 1000-2000 feet on Stanley's yellow submarine http://www.stanleysubmarines.com/. West End is usually a place where you can be spontaneous and find a nice local room without too much problem if you don't have reservations (though maybe that has changed since I was there last in 2010,.. and spring break may be a different story). A hotel or room can run anywhere from $30 to over $200/night. Fans or AC is recommended at certain times of the year. If going cheap, know the hotel's back-out policy as you may want a trial night before you commit to the rest of the week. Bargaining is possible with locals who run the smaller hotels.

If you prefer the higher end resort type, then staying at a resort in West Bay could suit you well but there are less dive shops to choose from, or there are other "all in one resorts" scattered on the coast. If staying in West End, a day trip can be made to West Bay which has the picturesque white and beautiful sandy beaches. There's some decent snorkeling there too.

If humane animal practices (ie. reef protection, dolphins) are a concern, then you might want to consider this when choosing a hotel or dive shop and stay away from these places.

If you're staying a long time, you can always take a sailing trip over to Utila, where the diving can be absolutely stunning (tends to be more of a spring break crowd there all year round, Roatan is a little more lower keyed).

Feel free to PM me if you or your friend have questions.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Weve been to Roatan 3 times over the past couple of years and stayed at both Anthonys Key and CocoView.

If you want maximum dive time, CCV is the place to go. Their packages include two boat dives a day and 24 hour a shore diving. Their house reef is one of the best dives on the island and you can pretty much see everything Roatan has to offer right in front of the resort. I think I logged over 30 dives in 5 days of diving.

AKR is a great choice if you're looking for a place with a bit more going on other than diving. They have the dolphin research center and a bunch of other activities you can sign up for. Its also family friendly which is a big plus if your friend is bringing kids.

If your buddy is into the partying, hanging out and getting in a few dives, the plan Greg mentioned is a good one. The West End is a funky town with cool bars and restaurants, dive shops and accomodations ranging from backpacker hostels to some pretty nice B&B type places.
zekethesheik
Just Settling In

Post by zekethesheik »

We go every year. Last year did Turquoise Bay Resort. Great all inclusive.... But my heart is with West End Divers in West End (Duh). The best dive op on the island, period. West End village has several accommodation choices as well as lots of spots to eat/drink... Great instructional staff at WED as well. They're good..
kasi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kasi »

Roatan is famous place for the traveler also and many traveler are also come to spend the vacation at this Island specially those come who have wish to dive in Roatan,Looking gorgeous scene..