Need info on Puerto Morelos, MX

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Need info on Puerto Morelos, MX

Post by Diver_C »

Hi!

Contemplating a trip to Puerto Morelos, Mexico. Never been there, and don't know anything about it. Definitely going diving. Does anyone know anything about PM, especially about where to stay and diving? Any and all information is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Rich
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Need info on Puerto Morelos, MX

Post by LCF »

I don't know much about Puerto Morelos, but we've made many trips to Puerto Aventuras, which is not far away. The diving is all from boats and can have some current. Visibility is generally very good. The reefs off PA are healthy and varied and have some of the biggest green morays I've ever seen.

I know a fair amount about lodging in Playa and PA and Tulum, but unfortunately not much about Puerto Morelos.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Hi,
We have spent time in Puerto Morelos almost every year since 1996. We were there in January. PM is a quiet town but not nearly as quiet as it was a few years ago. A bunch of ginormous hotels have been built and some of the all-inclusive people are losing their fear of Mexico.

We dove with Wetset for years but the owner sold and I'm not impressed with the new owners business plan. Nice enough people. So far we haven't found another dive operation there we are impressed with. PM has lots of fairly shallow reefs with thousands and thousands of fish. Really beautiful. The old operator of Wetset used to take us on some pretty impressive drift dives to 130+ also but I don't know who will now. The C56 is a purpose sunk wreck at about 90' that is well worth doing.

I think hotel and diving prices are higher than Cozumel but this time of year things should get cheap. If you are interested in condos or house rentals we have some experience. Also a little experience with some of the small hotels but I know nothing about the big ones. If you get to looking at a place to stay or a dive shop I may be able to give you some insight on location and possibly management.

Brian
kasi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kasi »

I love Puerto Morelos because my friends had special attachment with this place because there many places for the visiting for the tourist..