Going to the Maldives.... Suggestions please!

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
<2>diver
Just Settling In

Going to the Maldives.... Suggestions please!

Post by <2>diver »

The wife and I have a trip to the Maldives scheduled at the end of July and into August and I am curious if anyone has been there and if so what should I try and make a priority to see? We are staying at the Reethi Beach Resort and will have access to virtually unlimited shore diving but I was more looking to see if anyone had done some boat diving in the area and had some suggestions for companies to look in to and places to go see/not see. Thanks!!!
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Re: Going to the Maldives.... Suggestions please!

Post by seainggreen »

I only know of live-aboards, the Carpe Diem and the Carpe Vita. Both are outstanding vessels.

In terms of day diving almost every resort partners with a dive facility that has the ability to do day boat diving.

Enjoy, it is beautiful!
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I spent 10 days on the Carpe Vita ... not sure what the house reef is at the resort you're staying at, but one of the best dives we did was a wreck that is a house reef for one of the resorts just south of Male. Every resort has day boats that go out and find good stuff.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
bluedeep
Just Settling In

Post by bluedeep »

Wow! You're staying at the Reethi Beach Resort? Excellent choice! I haven't stayed there yet but my friends did and they said that it's to die for. It's beautiful, it's pristine, it's heaven.

Regarding your inquiry, I highly recommend the Carpe Vita Explorer LOB. Spent 8 days on the vessel with my friends and some locals I met. It's luxurious and truly enhances your Maldives experience.
Your go-to place for all your dive gear needs.
<2>diver
Just Settling In

Post by <2>diver »

Great suggestions, I have heard about the carpe vita but since it's a live aboard I don't think I will use their service this time. But I found a pretty cool service right there at the resort that will take us on a 4 tank dive day for $50. And the is manta season so we should see some pretty large manta for sure. I was also reading that this is the very beginning of the whale shark migration so with any luck....
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

... saw my very first whale shark in the Maldives ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
kasi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kasi »

I visited the Ari Atoll, west of Male, and had a great time and many other places i saw but i did not take much fun i suggest to you that eat seafood its very delicious and have charm in these dishes..
bluedeep
Just Settling In

Post by bluedeep »

How is your trip doin? I bet you guys had or are having a great time. Have you spotted mantas and whale sharks? Please share some of your dive pics when you get back :)
<2>diver
Just Settling In

Post by <2>diver »

I just got back last night. I will post some pics and stuff soon.... Once I am not so jet lagged. And depressed to not be there anymore haha! We didn't see any Mantas while in the water, it is still early in the migration season and we only saw them on the way to a dive site shortly after getting out of the water from a previous dive. Didn't get to see a whale shark either but that just gives us a reason to go back!
bluedeep
Just Settling In

Post by bluedeep »

<2>diver wrote:I just got back last night. I will post some pics and stuff soon.... Once I am not so jet lagged. And depressed to not be there anymore haha! We didn't see any Mantas while in the water, it is still early in the migration season and we only saw them on the way to a dive site shortly after getting out of the water from a previous dive. Didn't get to see a whale shark either but that just gives us a reason to go back!
Take your time, I'm sure you're still in that post-trip state that is normal for travelers and divers like us after leaving a place they fell in love with. Too bad that you didn't get too a whale shark, but you're right, that's one of the many reasons for you to go back to Maldives :)