Kauai diving recommendations?

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Kauai diving recommendations?

Post by spatman »

I'm headed to Kauai in a couple weeks and wondering if there any !must-see! sites I should look into.

I have dived the big island and Maui so I'm familiar with the waters there, just looking for info on something that is unique to Kauai.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Re: Kauai diving recommendations?

Post by BillZ »

We love Kauai but as a diving destination there are not many options. The best diving is off from Niihau, a rural island off the coast of Kauai, but this time of year the charters don't run because of the weather and swell.

Koloa Landing is a shore dive that's pretty much always diveable. It's really close to Seasport Divers in Poipu so you can grab a couple of tanks and head on over.

If your lucky and the surf is down you might be able to head up to Tunnels on the North Shore. Tunnels can be interesting with small sharks, swim throughs, rays and turtles.

Another option is to get a charter that runs up the Na Pali Coast. The diving can be really good if the weather is right and you're able to get up there. I wouldn't waste my money on a charter out to the local southern sites, the four sites that I did were nothing special and definitely not worth the $150 charter.

The two biggest shops on Kauai are Bubbles Below (no relation to the Woodinville shop) and Seasport Divers. I'd check in with them for local conditions and to see where the charters are running.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Thanks, Bill! Good info. I guess I won't be bringing any gear other than my prescription mask. Diving is a low priority this vacation anyway (gasp!).
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

BillZ wrote:We love Kauai but as a diving destination there are not many options. The best diving is off from Niihau, a rural island off the coast of Kauai, but this time of year the charters don't run because of the weather and swell.

Koloa Landing is a shore dive that's pretty much always diveable. It's really close to Seasport Divers in Poipu so you can grab a couple of tanks and head on over.

If your lucky and the surf is down you might be able to head up to Tunnels on the North Shore. Tunnels can be interesting with small sharks, swim throughs, rays and turtles.

Another option is to get a charter that runs up the Na Pali Coast. The diving can be really good if the weather is right and you're able to get up there. I wouldn't waste my money on a charter out to the local southern sites, the four sites that I did were nothing special and definitely not worth the $150 charter.

The two biggest shops on Kauai are Bubbles Below (no relation to the Woodinville shop) and Seasport Divers. I'd check in with them for local conditions and to see where the charters are running.
Bubbles Below treated us really well.

I think I have a thread somewhere on the board about our trip to Kauai.

Our diving was somewhat limited (4 dives) as we hit this weird combination of swell going one way and wind going the other that created a "washing machine" effect and really rough waters. The captain did his darndest to find some diveable water - one dive viz was maybe 20'. He finally put us on some deeper sites where the viz opened up but surface conditions were really iffy and we probably should not have done it. (Think Bonaire wildside diving and getting back on the boat but it isn't a really nice RIB with a removable door that puts reentry at water level.)

Winter diving is hit and miss, but if you hit the right weather conditions it's awesome. And Niihau is worth the money if the weather cooperates.

Oddly enough, Summer here is supposed to be the sweet spot for diving in Kauai - great viz, great weather, flat water.

Good luck! We love Kauai for the laid back, almost no buildings over 3 stories, somewhat non-touristy (as much as is possible for the Islands) nature of the island.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Drilled around, and FWIW found my old dive report....

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... ai#p144933
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

spatman wrote:Thanks, Bill! Good info. I guess I won't be bringing any gear other than my prescription mask. Diving is a low priority this vacation anyway (gasp!).
Hey Matt - The best book I've found for things to do in Kauai is the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook. If you want a copy PM me your address and I'll mail it to you - I have two copies so no need to return it.

BZ
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

BillZ wrote:
spatman wrote:Thanks, Bill! Good info. I guess I won't be bringing any gear other than my prescription mask. Diving is a low priority this vacation anyway (gasp!).
Hey Matt - The best book I've found for things to do in Kauai is the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook. If you want a copy PM me your address and I'll mail it to you - I have two copies so no need to return it.

BZ
+100 on this book!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

BillZ wrote:Hey Matt - The best book I've found for things to do in Kauai is the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook. If you want a copy PM me your address and I'll mail it to you - I have two copies so no need to return it.
Thanks, but we just got a copy too! Definitely the most recommended book so far.
Tom Nic wrote:We love Kauai for the laid back, almost no buildings over 3 stories, somewhat non-touristy (as much as is possible for the Islands) nature of the island.
Exactly why we're going. :funky:
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

The Kauai guide book is also available as an app! It's called Kauai Revealed.
cofford
Aquaphile

Post by cofford »

I've had great experiences with Seasport Divers over the years. Dive Koloa Landing in the morning most days, and take a local boat trip or two with Seasport. There are some great sites just off the south shore...I've seen a surgeonfish mass-spawning, turtles, humpback whales (who were singing), white tip reef sharks, and a mother monk seal with a pup ALL IN THE SAME DIVE! It's not Niihau, but it's worth doing.